Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Vampire

9,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
You could also buy a "no soliciting" sign
Just be firm. There were a lot of Mormons going door to door in my old neighbourhood. I just told them that I understood it was a part of their religion to do that, but that I had solid beliefs of my own and wasn't interested. I felt especially bad for the young guys who were shaking as they stood on my doorstep. They don't always want to do it - they're obligated.

Invisible Senshi

A nice person?

- Your experience with preachers
The Jehovah's Witness people are always nice. A bit annoying sometimes, but tolerable.

- How I can politely tell these people I don't want them to continue coming around at random times? I don't want to be a c**t about it, but I hate it.
This is what you do: When they come to your house...
you smile apologetically, shake your head and say, "Oh, I'm really busy right now."
They might ask to come back later. Say, "I'm not sure if I will be home by then."
If they ask to come back next week, say, "Well, my hours changed. It's a bit hectic, you know?"

Worked like a charm. (Come up with something similar to that. Mention busy and schedule.)
Hopefully they will not stalk you again. I can understand the coming up to your door after you move...but the recognizing your car is really creepy.

Wheezing Plague

Stop answering the door or state you have company so they have to make it quick.

Or start talking about what the bible says about gay people. If they say it's not okay, ask them about other things that the bible find "not okay". Eating shellfish, for example, is not okay.(Leviticus 11:10). Or if they're wearing clothes with more than one thread type, (Leviticus 19:19) meaning they have to wear 100% cotton or 100% silk or 100% whatever. Different threads should not mix. Same goes for a garden, or animals. Don't mix seeds or breeds (Leviticus 19:19). Those cute dog-mixes are considered a sin.

Not to mention divorces.. That's a big no no. Ask them what they think about slavery, while you're at it. That's legal, according to the bible. Or ask them if you're supposed to stone an adulterer on your own, or if you need to gather your whole neighbourhood to do it.

And if they think that's bad, go back and ask why being gay is so wrong.

Or just.. Don't answer the door. Or say you have your beliefs but you're really not comfortable talking about them, but thanks for stopping by!

My experience with preachers:
They're nice, most of the time. Some have a high creep factor, but that's just their personality and excitement over their religion, I guess.

Few preachers actually have straight answers to all of the things I mentioned above. It can lead to interesting, but timeconsuming, discussion.

Dapper Explorer

5,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
â–ŒGood day, my dear...

Hello there, my dears.

I'll tell you the best way to handle this situation. Answer your door. Thank them for coming out in all sorts of weather to bravely knock on your door and try and share something they honestly believe with you. Then say, as politely as possible, 'I appreciate what you're trying to do, but please put me on a 'do not call' list.' They will nod, they will write it down, they will wish you the best and they will go their merry way.

How do I know? Well, that's simple. Because I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. It's always best to get your information straight from the horses mouth. :] If you want to know more, please feel free to send me a message.

Edit: Ah, and also. Soliciting is for selling. We don't sell anything, nor do we ask for donations. Ever! :] Just be polite. We don't bite.

â–ŒNothing compares to her smile.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
No. Don't be polite. That's the problem. Literally close the door.

They're being creepy. Don't let them do that.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Baron Hughes
â–ŒGood day, my dear...

Hello there, my dears.

I'll tell you the best way to handle this situation. Answer your door. Thank them for coming out in all sorts of weather to bravely knock on your door and try and share something they honestly believe with you. Then say, as politely as possible, 'I appreciate what you're trying to do, but please put me on a 'do not call' list.' They will nod, they will write it down, they will wish you the best and they will go their merry way.

How do I know? Well, that's simple. Because I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. It's always best to get your information straight from the horses mouth. :] If you want to know more, please feel free to send me a message.

Edit: Ah, and also. Soliciting is for selling. We don't sell anything, nor do we ask for donations. Ever! :] Just be polite. We don't bite.

Ah! I have a question! My dad told me your churches have no windows. Why...?
Who the ******** is "Jehavoh" ?
OmniSlacker
Who the ******** is "Jehavoh" ?

Wow. I can't believe I didn't realise I spelled it wrong until you pointed it out. Now I feel like a d**k. I will fix this.

Invisible Lunatic

That's pretty damn creepy. I wonder if you could report them for stalking.

Dapper Explorer

5,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Shark Bacon
Baron Hughes
â–ŒGood day, my dear...

Hello there, my dears.

Ah! I have a question! My dad told me your churches have no windows. Why...?

â–ŒGood day, my dear...

My my my, who on earth told him that? Of course our Kingdom Halls have windows, though I do know a few halls that have narrower, thicker ones due to vandalism in the past.

Dapper Explorer

5,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Shark Bacon
No. Don't be polite. That's the problem. Literally close the door.

They're being creepy. Don't let them do that.

â–ŒGood day, my dear...

Mm, and as a Witness I'm going to have to say it's more concern than creepy; we're out all the time, can't help it if we recognize a car or a person that we've seen before. Often it's concern that leads us to finding someone we've been speaking to, I can't tell you how many people have unfortunately passed away between visits.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Don't answer the door; they'll just go away and leave the pamphlets

Magical Lover

11,575 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
We have problems with them from time to time. The first few times we left them standing out there. Then my grandfather, the next time around, told them to leave or he was going to call the police. THEN, my grandmother told them that she was agnostic and now....they make sure to show up when everyone's preoccupied with something. They show up, leave a booklet and drive off.

But yeah, just don't answer the door. They'll take the hint eventually.
I grew up in a religious family in the bible belt....

I was told that the reason I was abused for so many years is because it's god's plan. That he made me, and before he made me, he planned that I would be horribly abused, because it's for the greater good of my life.

******** that.

People can believe whatever they want. However, I hate the invalidating stuff that some people put out of there. When it starts to hurt people, that's when it's gone too far.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff