Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lord Amythe~
    Good luck with that. I'm sure you'll do juuuust fine. <3

Hanajima Arashi~
    You have a point there. You really do. Thanks for the advice.
Hermessa
BeautifulDirt
Just wear normal clothes. Save the kimono for events and festivals.
To be honest, I would look at you weird if you were wearing a kimono for no reason. I'd even think you were some kind of wannabe.
And OF COURSE if you're teaching a class, wear NORMAL clothes. I don't think people teach in kimono unless they're in another country teaching about Japan.

User Image

I don't know much about what they wear now a days or anything like that, so I apologize for not knowing the obvious.
    Their way of living is quite different than ours, and since I've never been there and only watched movies following a story in Japan, I wasn't really sure about everything, I mean, you can't believe everything you see in movies, right?

Thank you.

I hope I didn't sound harsh or anything, but it's annoying sometimes XD. All the time people generalize the Japanese public saying that everyone is one way (it's done to other cultures as well, but I hear it about Japan more to be honest "omigod, Japanese people are quiet and respectful all the time" "zomg, all Japanese people hate Americans" wink .
But, it's 2008. I don't think people walk around kimono for no real event anymore.
By the way, what country are you from???

User Image
Transentience
Crystal_Winter_Moon
They have a great respect for the US... So, i'd think they do...I saw a documentary about American Geishas, and it appears ,yes you can... biggrin

HAHA. Geishas are "whores", you do know that.. I mean, they sell themselves for money.
By all means, wear a kimono and have men ask for suckysucky for 100yen.

Basically, Geisha aren't whores... Geisha are different from prostitutes...
Geisha are mistaken to be prostitutes....
Geisha work is art... In the old times, Geisha never sell their body... Wahahahaha!!!
BeautifulDirt
Hermessa
BeautifulDirt
Just wear normal clothes. Save the kimono for events and festivals.
To be honest, I would look at you weird if you were wearing a kimono for no reason. I'd even think you were some kind of wannabe.
And OF COURSE if you're teaching a class, wear NORMAL clothes. I don't think people teach in kimono unless they're in another country teaching about Japan.

User Image

I don't know much about what they wear now a days or anything like that, so I apologize for not knowing the obvious.
    Their way of living is quite different than ours, and since I've never been there and only watched movies following a story in Japan, I wasn't really sure about everything, I mean, you can't believe everything you see in movies, right?

Thank you.

I hope I didn't sound harsh or anything, but it's annoying sometimes XD. All the time people generalize the Japanese public saying that everyone is one way (it's done to other cultures as well, but I hear it about Japan more to be honest "omigod, Japanese people are quiet and respectful all the time" "zomg, all Japanese people hate Americans" wink .
But, it's 2008. I don't think people walk around kimono for no real event anymore.
By the way, what country are you from???

User Image

Nah, it's okay. I took it a bit too personally.
    And I understand that it could be annoying how everyone assumes and generalizes people's personalities.
    I refuse to say what country I come from; I apologize, but I've already given a lot of information about myself and I'm one of those people that are paranoid and all "lolpplmighttrackmedown". Sorry. ]:
Real Japanese people don't' go around wearing Kimonos anymore, unless it's for a ceremony or something, most wear modern clothes like Americans and Europeans.

1,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
I have three kimonos; a sky blue furisode, a red & gold uchikake, & purple Iromuji.
Real Shippuuden Hinata
I have three kimonos; a sky blue furisode, a red & gold uchikake, & purple Iromuji.

Lucky you.
    @w@;;

1,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Hermessa
Real Shippuuden Hinata

Lucky you.
    @w@;;
My friends from Japan let me have theirs cause it was pass down from their family. So they are very old like from the Edo period [1860s] to the War period [1940s]. The uchikake was 10k, Iromuji was 40k, & furisode was 24k.
IDK,
but i dont think so....
There's a time and a place for everything, and people know when that is. you can wear a kimono to a formal party or something but please don't wear it in public, not for like going to the mall or something, that's just rediculous and you might ruin you'r pretty kimono. Jeans and pants are okay, use those.

Beloved Gaian

User Image
Either way they are going to look at you as a tourist.
Sakura-Ryume
Real Japanese people don't' go around wearing Kimonos anymore, unless it's for a ceremony or something, most wear modern clothes like Americans and Europeans.

Or you live in Kyoto where there are maikohan in every public place.

Clean Gaian

2,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
They kinda would..... sweatdrop
They only wear kimonos for festivals and other special events.
Just wear your normal clothing
Sacred Romance

User Image
Either way they are going to look at you as a tourist.
Transentience
Crystal_Winter_Moon
They have a great respect for the US... So, i'd think they do...I saw a documentary about American Geishas, and it appears ,yes you can... biggrin

HAHA. Geishas are "whores", you do know that.. I mean, they sell themselves for money.
By all means, wear a kimono and have men ask for suckysucky for 100yen.

if you watch 'memoirs of a geisha' you'll understand that

there not just common prostitutes they have to learn how to dance and these cool

spinny things with their fans and all xDD plus loads more things.

also at the end of the movie after the americans like invaded japan and they were all living there.

the main girl in the story (i forget her name) comes back to her town shes like

'any girl with a face painted white wearing a silk kimono' could call herself a geisha.

so basically yeah now days you just have to look a certain way to be a geisha,Lawl.

and to the person who made this thread. Japan isnt like it used to be. people dont just walk

around the streets in the middle of the day wearing a kimono.they wear normal clothes (minus

there awesome crazy fashions)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces