Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
aidyn devereaux
Fallen-Pottery-Angel

I did not know that. Thank you for clearing that up! 3nodding I've never had to deal with being pregnant, nor have I had to deal with anyone I know getting an abortion, so some times I end up taking a shot in the dark. I think it would end up taking more of a toll mentally on people after finding out there's a heart beat...Though everyone handles things differently.

No worries. i have a family member who had one at ten weeks because she had to save up for the procedure, hotel stay, and make sure she had her bills paid. An eight week cut off is tricky because not everyone has immediate access to several hundreds of dollars and with some states getting rid of most or all clinics that perform abortions, it can be even harder for the woman to get it done in such a short time-frame.

Let's use a hypothetical to emphasize my point. Say you live in a state that pays the federal minimum wage of 7.45 per hour and you have a minimum wage job where your employer considers 32 hours full time and will not work you over that. Let's say you live with your partner and he too has a minimum wage job, but you're also having to receive food stamps because we all know most who work minimum wage DO require it, and even many who make more still need the assistance. Let's say you find out at six weeks and the cut off is eight. The closest clinic is three hundred miles away. That give you two weeks to get up several hundred dollars for the procedure, plus money for gas for a 600 mile round trip, plus one night in a hotel because most states require you to wait 24 hours after your 'consultation' before you can have it done. How, exactly, are two people who can barely make ends meet as it is going to do that in two short weeks?

I have no words for this. Because this is the actual reality of it, which just seems so twisted and unfair.. It really puts things into perspective. Something I think a lot of people are lacking.

How come states are trying to get rid of the abortion clinics? I just looked up some of the stuff here in Canada, from what I'm reading, the cut off date is 12 weeks, but sometimes they can go up to 20 weeks depending on the cases, and under extreme circumstances, after 20 weeks. Some provinces are covered by the government health insurance, and other provinces require part of the cost to be paid. I found all the information here.

Shadowshaska's Waifu

8,750 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Super Tipsy 200
aidyn devereaux
the weeknd
emotion_0A0 that's terribru.
pro-choice to a point..
but the second that baby has a heartbeat i don't believe there is any other choice anymore but to pop it out.
(not saying u have to keep it, there's adoption for said baby)
(life-threatening issues are exempted from the heart beat rule)
Fallen-Pottery-Angel

I have a hard time agreeing with this point. I mean yes, once a heart beat can be detected, it's a lot more invasive and a harder on the mothers body. But there are things that are found later on, after the heart beat comes around, that may lead a pregnant woman to choose to abort the baby, things such as extreme birth defects, diseases, things that will severely reduce the baby's life or quality of life. I'm not saying it's an easy decision to make, because it's not. And it can have long term effects mentally on the mother, as well as the father.
The heartbeat can be detected at eight weeks, which is around the time most abortions happen so.. no, its not more invasive and harder on the body. O.o

i understand your point and i tried to include elements of it in my own. i don't think it's fair to carry a baby with life threatening issues to baby - or mother.
it's also hard to justify carrying a defected baby full term if you cannot support it because a) financial or b) you already have other children that need support/attention.
i love your opinion.
c:

edit: format got all screwy and i got lazy, sorry

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
the weeknd
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
the weeknd
pro-choice to a point..
but the second that baby has a heartbeat i don't believe there is any other choice anymore but to pop it out.

I have a hard time agreeing with this point. I mean yes, once a heart beat can be detected, it's a lot more invasive and a harder on the mothers body. But there are things that are found later on, after the heart beat comes around, that may lead a pregnant woman to choose to abort the baby, things such as extreme birth defects, diseases, things that will severely reduce the baby's life or quality of life. I'm not saying it's an easy decision to make, because it's not. And it can have long term effects mentally on the mother, as well as the father.

aidyn devereaux

The heartbeat can be detected at eight weeks, which is around the time most abortions happen so.. no, its not more invasive and harder on the body. O.o

i understand your point and i tried to include elements of it in my own. i don't think it's fair to carry a baby with life threatening issues to baby - or mother.
it's also hard to justify carrying a defected baby full term if you cannot support it because a) financial or b) you already have other children that need support/attention.
i love your opinion.
c:

I just don't think that it's something that people need to be shamed or criminalized for. I mean, if people are making a decision they see fit to make based off of whatever circumstances they may be coming from, then why should they have people protesting outside of clinics, trying to get rid of clinics, or treating them like scum? These people need support both before and after the fact, and I think there are people out there who have a hard time accepting that fact.

I don't think it's something that should be criminalized, or re-criminalized (Canada struck down the law in 198 cool . This is going to sound a bit extreme but bare with me for a minute. If society takes away that choice, and women are forced into carrying a baby they can't carry, support or don't want, and are charged as criminals for abortion, imagine how much higher the suicide rates would be. Not just in Canada or the US, but everywhere.

That's just my opinion and how I see things.

Aged Regular

Evelin333

Ten US states require a second physician to approve if it is after the third trimester (we're talking 20 weeks here)

„Suche gut gebauten 18-30jährigen zum Schlachten“

Aaaaactually, 3rd trimester is 27-40 weeks, not 20 weeks. 20 weeks is about mid 2nd trimester as that covers weeks 14-26. A third trimester abortion is generally only done when the health or mental health of the woman is in danger, it's not usually something you can just opt into. The reason for the second physician is probably to confirm that it is indeed necessary.

Der Metzgermeister

Aged Regular

the weeknd
pro-choice to a point..

...Dude, seriously? I had a scan that detected a heartbeat all of about 5 hours before naturally miscarrying that embryo. It measured only 6 weeks and 3 days on that scan, unless they're actively trying a lot of women wouldn't notice they're pregnant until at least that stage if not further along. How quickly do you think women are able to a) find out they're pregnant and then b) actually get a chance to make that decision and find a provider who can/has time for them to do it?

Der Metzgermeister

Enduring Phantom

Why this whole "if it has a heart beat" thing anyway
There are these things called BEATING HEART cadavers for a reason
A heart beat means pretty much nothing
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
aidyn devereaux
Fallen-Pottery-Angel

I did not know that. Thank you for clearing that up! 3nodding I've never had to deal with being pregnant, nor have I had to deal with anyone I know getting an abortion, so some times I end up taking a shot in the dark. I think it would end up taking more of a toll mentally on people after finding out there's a heart beat...Though everyone handles things differently.

No worries. i have a family member who had one at ten weeks because she had to save up for the procedure, hotel stay, and make sure she had her bills paid. An eight week cut off is tricky because not everyone has immediate access to several hundreds of dollars and with some states getting rid of most or all clinics that perform abortions, it can be even harder for the woman to get it done in such a short time-frame.

Let's use a hypothetical to emphasize my point. Say you live in a state that pays the federal minimum wage of 7.45 per hour and you have a minimum wage job where your employer considers 32 hours full time and will not work you over that. Let's say you live with your partner and he too has a minimum wage job, but you're also having to receive food stamps because we all know most who work minimum wage DO require it, and even many who make more still need the assistance. Let's say you find out at six weeks and the cut off is eight. The closest clinic is three hundred miles away. That give you two weeks to get up several hundred dollars for the procedure, plus money for gas for a 600 mile round trip, plus one night in a hotel because most states require you to wait 24 hours after your 'consultation' before you can have it done. How, exactly, are two people who can barely make ends meet as it is going to do that in two short weeks?

I have no words for this. Because this is the actual reality of it, which just seems so twisted and unfair.. It really puts things into perspective. Something I think a lot of people are lacking.

How come states are trying to get rid of the abortion clinics? I just looked up some of the stuff here in Canada, from what I'm reading, the cut off date is 12 weeks, but sometimes they can go up to 20 weeks depending on the cases, and under extreme circumstances, after 20 weeks. Some provinces are covered by the government health insurance, and other provinces require part of the cost to be paid. I found all the information here.

Because, unfortunately, the US is ran by those stuck in the Victorian era who think that women are still property of men. they think if they can't get access to a clinic they'll just keep it. The reality is many find other ways to cause a miscarriage, some not so healthy for themselves.

xhuu's Wife

Married Millionaire

22,800 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Married 100
  • Over Easy 100
- CeiJae -
Evelin333

Ten US states require a second physician to approve if it is after the third trimester (we're talking 20 weeks here)

Aaaaactually, 3rd trimester is 27-40 weeks, not 20 weeks. 20 weeks is about mid 2nd trimester as that covers weeks 14-26. A third trimester abortion is generally only done when the health or mental health of the woman is in danger, it's not usually something you can just opt into. The reason for the second physician is probably to confirm that it is indeed necessary.

Der Metzgermeister

Ahhhh thank you for the correction
I'm neither American nor well acquainted with pregnancy
Yobyaxes U
What will you do to stop abortions?

If they don't want people to get abortions, you would think they would make BC more available.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Blackrose_The_Knight
Snapple Lizard

I know I can't wait for male birth control to be a thing then we can just both pop pills and cream pie every time.
Its not pills sadly. Its basically a non-permanent vasectomy. They stick a wad of glue up your junk and block the sperm from joining the ejaculate. You will be shootin' blanks.

At least there won't be more people, hopefully.
I am all pro bodily autonomy.
I read this entire thread, from the first post to the last post, and even videos couldn't convince me to not be pro-choice.

I follow a very strict creed: Not my body, not my business. Whether it's for birth control, preventing a child with severe birth defects from being born, financial reasons, mental reasons, physical health. It's none of my business why someone aborts. Similarly, if I choose to abort, it's no one else's business why I might do so, but it has a lot to do with a few of the aforementioned posts above.

Will I never have children? Absolutely not. The secondary in the relationship with my husband and I wants children (poly, obviously), and in a few years, when we're financially and emotionally stable, that will likely be an option. For now, it isn't. We've discussed abortion if necessary to prevent pregnancy before we feel we're all ready and capable of providing for a child or children.

Pregnancy should never be punishment for having an active and healthy sex life, especially with the ability for all methods of birth control to fail, even with multiple types being used in conjunction with one another. More importantly, we don't currently know if her health could sustain her being pregnant right now, and I'd much rather have a live her, than I would a live baby and a dead her.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff