Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Legalize gay marraige?

Yes 0.88198757763975 88.2% [ 142 ]
No 0.11801242236025 11.8% [ 19 ]
Total Votes:[ 161 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Hazgarn
I think that marriage shouldn't be a government issue. If a church wants to say that gay people can't marry under their god, well, that sucks, but it's their right.

On the other hand, the government should not deny gay couples the rights that heterosexual couples have legally for being "married".

I think they need to take "marriage" out of the government and leave it in the church where it belongs. They need to make a neutral social contract that grants any human beings the right to be recognized as the better half of their partner legally, and preserve all the rights that that maintains. Or multiple people, for that matter, provided all agree.

Marriage and love are both sacred, and they do not belong to the government.

True. I think most people mean "legalize gay marriage" to mean "give gay partners the same legal rights that het partners have", rather than "make the church recognize theses unions". At least, that's what I took it to mean. Gay people should get all the same spouse benefits that straight people get ^^
there is nothing wrong for two men or two women to get married
if they love each other then why should we say that they could not get married
there is love and they want to be committed just like a man and women would
biggrin
Yaydin
Hazgarn
I think that marriage shouldn't be a government issue. If a church wants to say that gay people can't marry under their god, well, that sucks, but it's their right.

On the other hand, the government should not deny gay couples the rights that heterosexual couples have legally for being "married".

I think they need to take "marriage" out of the government and leave it in the church where it belongs. They need to make a neutral social contract that grants any human beings the right to be recognized as the better half of their partner legally, and preserve all the rights that that maintains. Or multiple people, for that matter, provided all agree.

Marriage and love are both sacred, and they do not belong to the government.

True. I think most people mean "legalize gay marriage" to mean "give gay partners the same legal rights that het partners have", rather than "make the church recognize theses unions". At least, that's what I took it to mean. Gay people should get all the same spouse benefits that straight people get ^^

That's what most people mean when they say "Gay marriage", of course. I'm saying that the government should abandon any control over "marriage" entirely. Currently, the legal institution of marriage is the government sanction of a religious rite, and secular marriage is still created in imitation of that rite. If the government surrenders influence over marriage (which it shouldn't have anyway), then the religiously minded dissenters to gay rights will have no grounds on which to form their bitching, since the legal contracts won't be infringing on anything they think is theirs.

If government isn't supposed to interfere with or favor religion, then it shouldn't recognize religious marriages in any legal way. Benefits are a legal matter, and religious poo-pooers, or even non-religious poo-pooers just shouldn't have any say in whether people get them.
who care's you are gay
I think it sucks that gay people cant marry. They're people as we are, they have the right to be happy.
I don't see anything wrong with gay marriage: It's two people who love each other who want to formalize it. Let them do it.
I had a big fight with my mother over this, because a good 25% of my friends are gay or bisexual, and somehow the subject got brought up.

It's not like the President or Congress has to go off and be gay too if it's legalized.
What difference would it really make in THEIR lives?
Marriage shouldn't be in control of others.
Its up to the people in the relationship.

Basically, love is love.
Get over it.
Hazgarn

I've heard this argument before and I have to say it sounds like the best option. Except, of course, that all the people who've gone around claiming that "civil unions" are good enough for the gays will undoubtedly start screaming their heads off the moment they have to call their marriages that.

And I mean, it's not as if the church doesn't use its own discretion on who it marries already. If the pastor doesn't think the pairing is a healthy one then they simply refuse to hold the ceremony. It's kind of ridiculous to suddenly expect them to do anything different.

Hazgarn
If the government surrenders influence over marriage (which it shouldn't have anyway), then the religiously minded dissenters to gay rights will have no grounds on which to form their bitching, since the legal contracts won't be infringing on anything they think is theirs.

Unfortunately I think the religious right thinks the government belongs to them too. rolleyes But. Yes. Overall good points so long as people are willing to be rational about the whole thing.
Who cares if the person you're in love with is the same gender. I would seriously marry someone who's the same gender if I wasn't straight.
I read in the newspaper that NJ didn't want to legalize gay marriage because "It would affect everyone. They might have to start teaching children in schools that being gay is OK." scream scream scream As opposed to them teaching that it's wrong!? WTF??
Cadence of my heart
I read in the newspaper that NJ didn't want to legalize gay marriage because "It would affect everyone. They might have to start teaching children in schools that being gay is OK."

I know, right??? Next thing you know we'll be teaching them that blacks are people too, and women deserve the same rights as men!!! Where will it end???

It's depressing how many times I've heard that line said in all seriousness.
doubtingdennis
I've heard this argument before and I have to say it sounds like the best option. Except, of course, that all the people who've gone around claiming that "civil unions" are good enough for the gays will undoubtedly start screaming their heads off the moment they have to call their marriages that.

And I mean, it's not as if the church doesn't use its own discretion on who it marries already. If the pastor doesn't think the pairing is a healthy one then they simply refuse to hold the ceremony. It's kind of ridiculous to suddenly expect them to do anything different.

The problem is that it's the "marriage" part of "legal gay marriage" that gets most dissenters butt-hurt, to use an ironic expression. Their reasons for objecting are "moral" on a religious foundation, and so the argument of marriage as a sacred religious ritual (which it honestly is) is the only leg they really have to stand on. I challenge anyone to come up with another argument against gay marriage that makes any kind of sense.

The basis of my whole stance on the topic is this: The issue is "stuck" because the government has got their chocolate mixed with religious peanut-butter where marriage is concerned. Only, in this case, these two tastes are horrible together. The rights of citizens to be treated equally under the law can only be realized one way without violating the rights of religions as well, and that is by fully separating the current legal benefits of marriage from association with religion itself.

And the best way, in my opinion, is to abolish "marriage" as a legal institution altogether so that the same contract can be offered to all goers. Let religion keep marriage, so long as two people wishing to be joined in a legal bond to one another can exercise the same rights regardless of what sits between their legs.

Supreme Bibliophile

8,825 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Love doesn't asks anything when that happens and who will you fall with... Love is love, that's it.
Love is love

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces