Welcome to Gaia! ::

Well im on my second semester of college and im feeling what I really didn't think I would. Im feeling oddly...restless with it already. Not really sure how to describe it but I just don't really looking forward to going into class but I really want to. Maybe its because I feel like the direction I decided I wanted to take recently flipped around on me. I've always been really good with computers and any class involving them, so I decided to try programming this year since that's a big part of getting a Computer Science degree which is what I figured I would go for.

Turns out though that im really not very good at programming. Im struggling with it and instead of aiming for a really good A like I normally would im just hoping for a C every time I do something.

Maybe its because I just haven't made friends yet. I find it hard to relate to people because ive spent so much of my memorable life in a different country(s). Everyone seems to be from the very surrounding area and known each other from high school and have always lived in the same state and even county, I just dont know how to get in with those people, we just seem so different in everything.

Maybe its because im worried that whatever major I do choose to carry out that im not going to be satisfied or happy with it or the jobs it brings. I mean im not entirely sure what I even want to do with my life besides travel a lot.

I don't know I just feel so lethargic about college lately. I try to get myself pumped and excited to go in twice a week but I just cant seem to get that feeling of real happiness in going. As much as I hate to admit it I look forward to the drive to school more than I do actually going.

I dont know... I just feel a bit lost in my direction and really unmotivated lately. I mean im there and paying for it out of pocket by working but why? What good is it?

BLAH.

Discuss: College troubles.
Whatever you want.
Do you enjoy driving?

Omnipresent Vampire

What is it you want to do, and what is it you feel like you need to do?
Vampire Prince Senjilious

I really just want to travel and see more of the world. No idea what you mean by need to do =/

Omnipresent Vampire

Hogosha neko

I really just want to travel and see more of the world. No idea what you mean by need to do =/

Why is it you feel like you need to be in college?
Hogosha neko

Its an advantage in life. Its harder to get higher up or entry level jobs to a career without it. Plus I want to become more intelligent and learn more.

Omnipresent Vampire

Hogosha neko
Hogosha neko

Its an advantage in life. Its harder to get higher up or entry level jobs to a career without it. Plus I want to become more intelligent and learn more.

Is it though, when you do something you don't enjoy?

Fuzzy Bibliophile

12,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
User Image What's your major?
Hogosha neko
Hogosha neko

I have to go through it to get to do something I enjoy?
Moogle Voodoo
User Image What's your major?

Dunno yet.

Omnipresent Vampire

Hogosha neko
Hogosha neko
Hogosha neko

I have to go through it to get to do something I enjoy?

Hmm, I see. Then hopefully you can find a entry level job when all is done.

Moonlight Healer

Honestly, even going to a university very close to where I grew up and knowing people from there I feel like it's hard to meet new people sometimes. Even if you know people from high school everybody kind of goes different directions after it's over and at some point you're mostly on your own. So you're not alone in that. In my experience, you really do have to be involved in something outside of just going to class (since most people are in class to focus on the lecture/take notes) at your college to make new friends. But if you look in the right places it's easy to find people with similar interests as you.

Also it's pretty common for students to feel burned out or unsure at some point or another. If you're stuck in your classes at the moment, even though it kinda sucks, I'd really recommend you just do your best to stick them out and try to get good grades, then you can talk to an advisor and whatnot and try to pursue something else next semester if you want. I read that it's not uncommon for undergrads to change their majors 3 or 4 times before they graduate. Obviously less is better but it's important to find something that genuinely interests you.

And who knows, maybe if you continue in your current classes you'll still find some interest in it. I'm a psych major and even though I've never hated my classes I find that I'm enjoying my education more as I get into higher level, more specialized classes. You have options though. Just try to keep your GPA up in the meantime.
Lost Icyis
Honestly, even going to a university very close to where I grew up and knowing people from there I feel like it's hard to meet new people sometimes. Even if you know people from high school everybody kind of goes different directions after it's over and at some point you're mostly on your own. So you're not alone in that. In my experience, you really do have to be involved in something outside of just going to class (since most people are in class to focus on the lecture/take notes) at your college to make new friends. But if you look in the right places it's easy to find people with similar interests as you.

Also it's pretty common for students to feel burned out or unsure at some point or another. If you're stuck in your classes at the moment, even though it kinda sucks, I'd really recommend you just do your best to stick them out and try to get good grades, then you can talk to an advisor and whatnot and try to pursue something else next semester if you want. I read that it's not uncommon for undergrads to change their majors 3 or 4 times before they graduate. Obviously less is better but it's important to find something that genuinely interests you.

And who knows, maybe if you continue in your current classes you'll still find some interest in it. I'm a psych major and even though I've never hated my classes I find that I'm enjoying my education more as I get into higher level, more specialized classes. You have options though. Just try to keep your GPA up in the meantime.

Eh, pretty much everyone I knew in high school dont really care or barely remember me. Unless im trying to message them on facebook its like I could drop off the earth and they wouldn't notice. Only 1 or 2 people really keep in contact with me. I would get involved in stuff be its really difficult when I commute 30 miles to get to campus. Changing from going in twice a week to 3 times a week really adds up in terms of gas.

Yeah I get that feeling burnt out is common but im only on my second semester. Im paying for this out of pocket by working so its not like im going to just stop going, im sticking through with it till the end. Im trying to keep my grades up but i dont seem to be doing as well as id like in my classes. Essay for english? A. Essay for psychology? C. cat_confused

Komitkid's Wife

Try clearing your head. Don't think about what direction your going in or what degree your trying to get. Just make it though the semester until you can actually do something about it. No since in wasting a bunch of time in classes you may just drop in the end? Just get it done and talk to the councler about possibly switching your degree or take a semester off when this is over

Lavish Loiterer

I'm not so much restless as I am exhausted. I go to college 16hrs a week while working 40hrs a week. I'm always in a state of being half asleep. The only restless feeling I get is when I have hw due but I'm too sleepy to do it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff