Welcome to Gaia! ::

I know I do. I can't stand the noise food makes when someone chews it out loud. It's slimy, loud, and distracting and it makes me cringe. How do people not notice the disgusting noise they make when they eat food? My entire family does this, every single member. I can't eat next to them for long periods of time because the sloshing noises they make inside their mouth makes me want to puke a million times over.

Do you hate when people smack their food?
Do you do it? If so, stop. Everyone sane enough is annoyed by that noise.
What are your pet peeves?

Merry Tipper

Yes scream pig sounds when eating the worst. The smacking of the lips.. the slurping of whatevers.. and gulping of drinks. Slow down and close yer damn mouth! No one is going to steal your food scream

I also can't stand people who breathe heavily. It's probably not their fault but it sure is annoying. Like heavy through the nose of they're sort of got something stuck in their throat and it's like a grating breathing through the mouth. Just cough already! gonk

Timid Bookworm

When I read this thread title, I thought you meant "smack" as in "hit" or "slap" and I was like "Who does that? Why would they do that?" sweatdrop

But yes, that does bug me.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
I'm a weird collection of cobbled-together table manners and impolitenesses. I always try to eat everything utterly soundlessly around others. If I'm in a not-completely-relaxed setting, I also cover my mouth when my hand when I chew. I even follow the elbow rule if I'm trying to be polite. At the same time, I'll totally pick my bowl up and drink soup out of it once it gets low, and I've been known to eat everything that exists with chopsticks, up to and including American barbecue.

I never understood people who open their mouths when they chew; you're just asking for your food to fall out if you do that.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Spark of Madness
When I read this thread title, I thought you meant "smack" as in "hit" or "slap" and I was like "Who does that? Why would they do that?" sweatdrop

Man, me too. I imagined someone glaring darkly at a burger, then picking it up and angrily smacking it with the back of their hand.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
ugh noisy eaters. gag.

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
User Image

I have a special needs brother who does this and it's awful because no matter how many times we have tried to teach him to chew with his mouth closed he just doesn't care, he thinks it's hilarious that what he's doing is annoying so then he does it on purpose despite knowing how to chew with his mouth closed. I love him, I really do, but due to my extremely weak stomach (I gag at someone spitting for crying out loud) I cannot be in the same room as him while he is eating and I feel terrible over it. Like I said, he just finds it really funny so any attempt at trying to get him to chew with his mouth closed is a losing battle -he will seriously do it because he knows it grosses people out. The worst part is the school made no attempt at teaching him this either because they thought he just couldn't help it -he might be special needs, but he sure ain't stupid, he knows full well how to push people's buttons.

My mother can't handle it outside of him, the other 6 of her children all know very well from a young age that when mom is in the room, we chew with our mouths closed and we don't talk with our mouths full.

User Image

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
AngelBiscuits
User Image

Excuse me while I watch this a bit.

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Raven Winter
AngelBiscuits
User Image

Excuse me while I watch this a bit.

Go for it. I can only imagine the s**t people will say.

Timid Gaian

I work with children, so messy/gross eating doesn't phase me anymore. I still think it's utterly rude and disgusting, but it doesn't make me gag anymore. I try to teach them good table manners, but...meh.

Aged Girl

Aha, I thought you meant literal food hitting.

My mom chews loudly all the time and she'll drool the gravy all over her face. She's like part cow or something.

Aged Girl

Raven Winter
Spark of Madness

Man, me too. I imagined someone glaring darkly at a burger, then picking it up and angrily smacking it with the back of their hand.

My dad's Pit Bull does that with his food bowl when he doesn't get the yummy brand he wants.

Newbie Noob

I don't like it if it's close to me. And you see all the food they're chewing and...yeah. But if they were eating noisily a few feet away, I could tolerate it a bit more.

Spark of Madness
When I read this thread title, I thought you meant "smack" as in "hit" or "slap" and I was like "Who does that? Why would they do that?" sweatdrop .

LOL I thought the same thing and a strange image came to mind.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
I'm not bothered by people who smack their food, nor am I bothered by people who slurp. Besides, it's rather impossible to eat noodles like ramen or any Japanese noodles without slurping unless you cut the noodle strands, which ruin the experience since they're meant to be slurped, anyway. I'm more bothered by people who eat and make loud, snorting noises at the same time, as well as people who talk with their mouths full. Apparently the latter seems to be common practice in South Korea or something since I always see characters talking with their mouths full as if it's the norm in Korean dramas.
Do you hate when people smack their food?

Yes, but I will talk over the noise or tell the person they need to learn how to properly eat. I have little patience for people with no cognitive problems who choose to not learn how to properly do common things.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff