Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hotel Neurotica
god damn it when i saw the title i was like hmm but by the time i realized what this probably was i had already clicked the topic

same. i thought it was going to be a discussion about truth or the pursuit of truth, as in, not a euphemism for religion.
Hotel Neurotica
god damn it when i saw the title i was like hmm but by the time i realized what this probably was i had already clicked the topic
so sad for you
Sorry, that deal comes with way too many strings attached. I actually read the fine print.
GSK Lives
Sorry, that deal comes with way too many strings attached. I actually read the fine print.
you mean like giving up your sin, and being saved from going to hell ?
baptist_minister
GSK Lives

No, the part where I'm to never hold authority over men, never to teach men, become inferior to males spiritually, oh, and to always cover my head. Hats annoy me.
GSK Lives
baptist_minister
GSK Lives

No, the part where I'm to never hold authority over men, never to teach men, become inferior to males spiritually, oh, and to always cover my head. Hats annoy me.
the covering that was talking about was hair , and you shouldn't teach a man because the man is suppose to be the one teaching , and it is talking about speaking in tongues, which don't exist anymore, and the woman shouldn't speak in tongues, but remain silent. but the bible does say that a woman is equal to a man, it says that a man should love his wife ..even, or ( equally ) as himself
baptist_minister
the covering that was talking about was hair

Even still, God's pretty insecure if the idea of me going bald offends him.

Quote:
, and you shouldn't teach a man because the man is suppose to be the one teaching

Why not? I teach men at my workplace, buster, because the vast majority of the new hires we get in that place haven't gone through the level of professional training I have in the use of gunsmithing equipment. I'm usually the one who actually went through the training on an academic level.

Quote:
but the bible does say that a woman is equal to a man

Bullshit. I am not equal to a man in the Bible's eyes because I am to obey a man and God, while men need but obey God. When you've got two bosses as opposed to one, that's not equal.

Vermillion Prophet

Are these joke accounts/threads? Just curious. I know quite a lot of people actually believe this stuff.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
baptist_minister
GSK Lives
baptist_minister
GSK Lives

the covering that was talking about was hair , and you shouldn't teach a man because the man is suppose to be the one teaching , and it is talking about speaking in tongues, which don't exist anymore, and the woman shouldn't speak in tongues, but remain silent. but the bible does say that a woman is equal to a man, it says that a man should love his wife ..even, or ( equally ) as himself

"Even as", both in the dialect in which the Bible is usually written and in contemporary usage, does not mean "equally to". It means something like "while" or "while also". If I love someone even as I love myself, this does not mean I love them equally to myself; it means I love both them and myself simultaneously. If I capture an enemy castle even as my own nation falls, it means I'm capturing the castle and my nation is falling at the same time. If I pour a cup of coffee even as I brew a new pot, it means I'm pouring a cup of coffee and brewing a new pot simultaneously (implying that I am using at least two pots). The phrase is used for dramatic effect and to establish that two things are happening or being done simultaneously.

So, no, that's not what that phrase means.
Raven Winter
baptist_minister
GSK Lives
baptist_minister
GSK Lives

"Even as", both in the dialect in which the Bible is usually written and in contemporary usage, does not mean "equally to". It means something like "while" or "while also". If I love someone even as I love myself, this does not mean I love them equally to myself; it means I love both them and myself simultaneously. If I capture an enemy castle even as my own nation falls, it means I'm capturing the castle and my nation is falling at the same time. If I pour a cup of coffee even as I brew a new pot, it means I'm pouring a cup of coffee and brewing a new pot simultaneously (implying that I am using at least two pots). The phrase is used for dramatic effect and to establish that two things are happening or being done simultaneously.

even means equal, what do you say when you are even with someone ? does it not mean equal ? and in biblical terms even does mean equal
Raddish_Cat
Are these joke accounts/threads? Just curious. I know quite a lot of people actually believe this stuff.
no joke

Eloquent Explorer

6,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Millionaire 200
Uhhh... I have no faith in your god, like literally - I am Atheist. I'm up to believing though if you can prove there's an ethereal sky daddy watching me jack off to thoughts of my ex fiance.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
baptist_minister
Raven Winter
baptist_minister
GSK Lives
baptist_minister
GSK Lives

even means equal, what do you say when you are even with someone ? does it not mean equal ? and in biblical terms even does mean equal

Oh, dude, don't be belligerent. I'm not even arguing with you. I'm just explaining the meaning of a relatively common phrase. Besides, I know me some words, bro. Saying that "even" means "equal" is a) not factually accurate because the word has multiple meanings (as words often do); and b) irrelevant because here we're concerned with the phrase "even as" as a whole, not just its particle word "even". The meaning of the phrase "even with" is also a) dependent on context (being physically even with a table is different from being figuratively even with a person, which is different from being even with them in a game, which is different from tripping even with a walker, etc.), so your suggested definition isn't necessarily true (you seem to be bad with phrases; is that just a coincidence?) and b) irrelevant because, again, "even as" is what we're concerned with here, and "even with" is a completely different phrase, similar in exactly the same way "car alarm" is similar to "car keys". Both have "car" right in there, but I'm pretty sure you aren't gonna be driving either one.
baptist_minister
Raddish_Cat
no joke

liaaaaar

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas