Welcome to Gaia! ::

well i graduated high school in 06, and i haven't returned to school since then. i had good sat scores, graduated with a 3.5 gpa, and could have attended sf state.. but i didnt. i moved out my parents house the day after graduation bc i couldnt deal with them no more.. and now i'm back, not living here more like taking care of my grandma bc everyone in this house is out during the day.. everyone keeps tellin me that i need and should go back to school, but i dont wanna leave my grandma with just anyone.. and i hate it when they talk to me about all that bc i could have been in school this pass semester but they called me to come back to take care of my grandma. i'm not mad at that, but its just really annoying that they wont be quiet about me goin back..

i feel like i'm still young, i'm smart.. and i still have time to go back to school.. i dont know what to think.. should i go back to school to get everyone to leave me alone, or should i just stay here and take care of my grandma.. what would you do when you had to choose one? theres no way i can do both because my grandma is disabled, she cannot do anything at all on her own no more..
go to college you moocher
The problem is,

If you stay to take care of your grandma, how long is it really going to be? I had a girlfriend that once took care of her sisters kid during the day when she can, over time, her sisters family got so used to using her like that, at one point she might has well been their mother. It was slowly draining her energy and motivation to work effectively in her field of health care. I'm not saying anything about your family, you know them better than I do of course.

But if you keep taking care of your grandmother, will you be able to go to college at this vital time. If your family keeps bugging you about going to college then tell them "Ok, I will- but will YOU guys do to make sure Grandma is cared for"... if anything that'll shut them up from bugging you.

College is important, not just for education- but to help you stay involved and motivated to achieve things you want to achieve (or found out you wanted to). Most of my friends who didn't go to college are now going after I graduated, because unfortunately most of them found themselves getting into a hole later on in their early twenties.
College is important... only if you have ideas for a specifice degree or job field where you know you can get a good paying job with relative ease.

People go back to college at all stages of life. It's no longer necessary to go immediately after high school. I waited five years after I graduated high school before going to college. I worked hard, got my degree... and now i'm working at a gas station. The job market is currently awful where I live. I'm still looking for something in my field (that's related to the concentration I took) but in the mean time i still need a job.

My mom also recently went back to school for phlebotomy and got her certification and other papers that she needs. She also can't find a job. Most places aren't just looking for a degree but several years experience in the field.

Don't go to college because the people around you are pressuring you. Go to college because you want to and you have something you really want to study. You're intelligent, like you said, so do what feels right to you. If that includes taking care of your grandma then so be it. No one can really say otherwise. You're an adult now.
I don't have a situation like yours but i do recommend going to college asap. i graduated in 04 and it took me till last wedensday to figure out that i need to go to college for a better life and for my fiancee sake. I can't continue working these jobs that works you till heat exhaustion or untill you break something and then spits you out like you've never work there.

I quit my job i work at for a year in a half last week and ive recently contacted an institute to enroll for classes. Good news is that i start a seasonal warehouse job next monday so i'm pretty calm and happy cause now my fiancee can't call me lazy if i didn't find a job in 2-3weeks rolleyes . morale of the story, if i started college 3 years ago, i could have had a degree in something. Start now or your gonna get depress and regret it and it will always haunt you
karakuri cantabile
go to college you moocher

me a moocher? the year i was gone, i was making more money in a month then my dad. and i got even more then most of my friends that had kids during taxes.. haha. and even if i'm back under my parents roof, i pay for whatever i want, need, and whats needed around the house, plus for my grandma.. so sorry i'm not a moocher. i handle mine.
It's not something that you could have done sooner, but it's something that you can still do now.

So, yes, I highly suggest you go.
CaptainVigilante
The problem is,

If you stay to take care of your grandma, how long is it really going to be? I had a girlfriend that once took care of her sisters kid during the day when she can, over time, her sisters family got so used to using her like that, at one point she might has well been their mother. It was slowly draining her energy and motivation to work effectively in her field of health care. I'm not saying anything about your family, you know them better than I do of course.

But if you keep taking care of your grandmother, will you be able to go to college at this vital time. If your family keeps bugging you about going to college then tell them "Ok, I will- but will YOU guys do to make sure Grandma is cared for"... if anything that'll shut them up from bugging you.

College is important, not just for education- but to help you stay involved and motivated to achieve things you want to achieve (or found out you wanted to). Most of my friends who didn't go to college are now going after I graduated, because unfortunately most of them found themselves getting into a hole later on in their early twenties.

yea you do have a point.. "Ok, I will- but will YOU guys do to make sure Grandma is cared for".. i have said that once before, well i say it every time they bring it up.. I have a cousin that lives in my parents house along with her family, and her husband and baby girl is real cool, but when her husband tried talkin to me about goin to school i got so mad that i really wanted to tell him off and cuss him out. but i didnt.. and when i tell my other family members about that they were shocked that i held back. like my family knows i am my own person and i mean well for myself, but i'm also a passionate person when it comes to family. like i dont mind putting college to the side to help take care of my grandma, its like she took care of me when i needed her, and now she needs me. but its like you said its draining me out, its emotionally messing with me. its hard to say that i'ma leave and go to school.. just the other day i told my mom that i had to go back to the bay area to handle some business and she got upset, she didnt even wanna talk anymore and that hurt. i set a limit of two months for stayin with my fam, and its been almost three. i keep thinkin to myself that their tryin to get their schedules fixed so i can leave, but it seems like their not.. sweatdrop

i dont know.. thanks for the advice thou..
eh dont go to school to please other people, its a huge time and money commitment and you should only do it if you're serious about it. Take a year off and then apply if you need time to think, plenty people take time off in btwn

Liberal Sex Symbol

What you COULD have done is irrelevant. What you're going to do now is all that matters. If you've got the ability to, do it if you want it. You are not your grandmother's keeper, you need to make decisions that will improve your life.

Personally, i'd go back to school, not only cause i'm the type to like education, but the practical reality is that... my grandma's gonna die. sooner or later. Can't waste all of my days watching her, because when she's gone, i'll have nothing to show for it.
Inscriven
What you COULD have done is irrelevant. What you're going to do now is all that matters. If you've got the ability to, do it if you want it. You are not your grandmother's keeper, you need to make decisions that will improve your life.

Personally, i'd go back to school, not only cause i'm the type to like education, but the practical reality is that... my grandma's gonna die. sooner or later. Can't waste all of my days watching her, because when she's gone, i'll have nothing to show for it.

i kinda agree with you, but i am my grandmas care giver.. and it actually is improving my life bc CNAs and Medical assistants do this type of work. i am getting hands on training, just no certificate. but i know it'll help me in the long run bc i'll know how to take care of the patient if they are in a state like my grandma.

and as for her passing, i know she'll pass later not soon bc my family and i are taking good care of her.. and in the long run i can show my family that no matter what i went through when i was younger i was able to be there for my family when they needed me most, and still keep in mind about goin to college. i'll also be able to show my own family and my younger cousins that even though i didnt go college right away i did it, and i got through the emotional ups and downs while taking care of my grandma.

your morals and responsibility is in questioned .. your life schedule has been altered, and you have to take risks to see what the outcome turns out to be.. isnt that what lifes about? it happens to everyone.
I would go back to college, go to a college in the local area, and sign up for the online courses. That way you can still be at home and help take care of your grandmother and still go to school. I was forced to go straight into college after highschool and I wish I didnt, but thats cus im on acedemic probation for the 3rd semester in a row, I am basically at a point where no university will accept me, im burning a hole in my pocket and im about to be kicked off my parents insurance. I need a break from it all but I cant. yeah, go back to college, its the only way you can get a good paying job.

Phantom

The sad news is you can't get anywhere in life with just a high school diploma. Its worth nothing. If you ever want a good job later on, you need to go to some kind of school and get a degree.

I'd suggest taking online courses or going to a nearby community college. That way, you can still take care of your grandma.
I don't know the total situation, but i'd almost always suggest going to college. its very important, and it is better to get it done early. its a key to your future, and your independance. i'm sure your grandma would want what is best for you too.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff