• Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
french cafe scene
Cloud_Cookie
french cafe scene
college is gay as s**t idk why i bother going at all lol

What are you interested in? (:

nothing lol. the only jobs that i'd go for are pretty much out of the question atm because of my inability to lie well on a polygraph and general substance abuse.

If you were given the opportunity, what jobs would you like?

Bashful Explorer

What's your major? Your year?
My major is fine arts. I'm at a senior standing but I'll probably be another year or so before graduating, its hard for artists to graduate in four years unfortunately.
Do you have a social life? Why or why not? Has you relationships with others been affected because of college?
Not really no. Too busy to really do anything with anyone. If I'm not spending hours on studio work I'm at my part time job. So I have pretty much no free time, when I do I just want to be by myself and relax. Freshmen year I met a lot of people but I rarely hung out with them since I didn't have time.

Do you enjoy your classes, or are you just going to get a job in the future?

Yes I enjoy them, but not all of them

Does a college degree mean much anymore?

For my major, technically no but it really helps depending on what you want to do.

Any tips on living by yourself?
Get a roommate or two. Live off ramen and canned food haha.

What's the coolest thing you've done or learned so far?!
Coolest thing I've done so far was this year actually, while on a trip to NY for a class my professor got us into the conservation and restoration area of an art museum, it was extremely interesting. Though it made me rule it out as a possible job with the separate chemistry degree needed sad

Liberal Raider

6,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
I care about your opinion
-Medical biology. First year.
Do you have a social life? Why or why not? Has you relationships with others been affected because of college?
-I have my groups of 7-13 people or so. It's hard getting privacy in these dorms.
-Both. Mostly for the job. If you're going to college for fun, you obviously don't need to be there.
-It depends on what kind of degree. If you're going for a stupid major like psychology or philosophy your degree essentially means nothing.
Don't. If you're planning on paying rent by yourself you're gonna have a bad time.

haha I like how realistic you are.

How do you like living in the dorms? This probably depends where you are going to school, but I heard it sucks. A lot.

What's interesting is the medical biology has a lot to do with the biological psychology of humans; Psychology actually affect's one's health quite a lot, not only is health affected by genetics or the environment. Philosophy as a major is in itself, a little...unique...considering we wonder what career opportunities there are for philosophy majors (excluding academic professors). But then again, some of the greatest minds were considered philosophers!

I would have to agree that paying rent sucks, but you gotta start somewhere! xd

Liberal Raider

6,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
french cafe scene
Cloud_Cookie
french cafe scene
Cloud_Cookie
french cafe scene
college is gay as s**t idk why i bother going at all lol

What are you interested in? (:

nothing lol. the only jobs that i'd go for are pretty much out of the question atm because of my inability to lie well on a polygraph and general substance abuse.

anything in the intelligence community or nato

Hmm, so you would enjoy a leadership type of position, or one of great importance. What has you interested in the military?? xd

Liberal Raider

6,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
LESLEY THE UGLY DALMATIAN
What's your major? Your year? Biology, graduating in 4 weeks~ 3nodding

Do you have a social life? Why or why not? Has you relationships with others been affected because of college? I have a ******** up social life. Meaning I don't go out that often but when I do I get absolutely s**t faces and wasted. As for love and such....I think I'm done for a long long time. I really wanted to do well in college so my first year I did nothing but study and had like a teeny group of friends. Soph-Senior year I got a bf and stopped being so a**l about studying and still did well. Don't stress!

Do you enjoy your classes, or are you just going to get a job in the future? Honestly I should have majored in chemistry. I still like science, but more interesting and pertinent to working with drugs.

Does a college degree mean much anymore? For a professional career, yes. I only want a professional job; i.e. doctor, dentist, etc.

Any tips on living by yourself? Best ******** thing ever. Eat what you want, sleep when you want. Also clean your room every two weeks. Always. Try not to room with more than one other person.

What's the coolest thing you've done or learned so far?! I guess clone a bacterial gene and got a human cell to express it.

Congratulations on graduating soon! That is so awesome! I have several senior friends suffering from Senioritis...they are having the most difficult time paying attention in their classes haha.

I also have a pretty crappy social life, however I do like going out with coworkers and grad students sometimes haha. And yea, my first year in college, all I did was study. In Sophomore year, I started dating a guy, we went out until a few months ago-I think part of it was because he wasn't really going to school (He's in the air force) and I was, so we had different schedules and different interests.

Hey, you can always double major! ooor go back for another degree later. Or even implement Chemistry into Biology, it could work!

I am actually really nervous to live by myself in grad school. Dorms just cost so much, and I would probably rather not want another roommate haha. That's awesome though that you enjoy it so much. Gives me hope! whee

Liberal Raider

6,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
french cafe scene
Cloud_Cookie
french cafe scene
Cloud_Cookie
french cafe scene

anything in the intelligence community or nato

Hmm, so you would enjoy a leadership type of position, or one of great importance. What has you interested in the military?? xd

the ideal would be something similar to that of my friend's parents, one of whom worked for the cia and then nato. they had a lot of flexibility in where and how much they worked and were able to pick up multi-year contracts on both sides of the atlantic.

lots of financial stability, great benefits, and probably some of the most fulfilling careers out there. idk, sounds pretty great to me. and i'm not really into the military, despite nato being a military organisation.

Yea, government jobs have to be some of the best jobs out there; full benefits and more flexibility...more work, but that is to be expected haha. I also am not that interested in the military, primarily because I disagree with some of their decisions...but, I have been thinking of taking military cartography and GIS courses...military strategies do interest me, especially with the stability that is offered.

So if an awesome job in the government is what you think would be legit, why the drugs? Problems at home or what?

Liberal Raider

6,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
Padawan Brittany
I'm a 2012 graduate and I majored in social work. I'm going back though, into first year this fall to major in history.

Do you have a social life? Why or why not?
Not really, and that's not due to college - I'm simply the type of person who prefers to stay home, and be social over the internet.

Has you relationships with others been affected because of college?
Not really, though my boyfriend and I won't see each other as much when I go back, between classes and my job.

The first time around I went for a job, and two years later I work in retail, so this time I'm going to enjoy myself.

Nope, as I just said, I graduated two years ago and I still work in retail. A friend has a Master's degree and also still works in retail.

Watch what you buy and eat - I had an issue with only buying junk food when I started college, and gained a lot of weight that took years to lose.

That is wonderful that you are going into social work! I don't think you guys get enough credit for what you do! Thank you (:

Yea, relationships are always challenging during school-schedules differ so much stressed

I'm glad that you are going back again to fulfill the rest of what you wanted to do! It is really difficult for people to get that courage to go back again haha, which is totally understandable as well.

Thanks for the food advice! I think that is a really important fact to be aware of...staple college foods: ramen, pasta, chips, soda, coffee, energy drinks, and maaaybe a granola bar sometimes haha.

Tipsy Kitten

Cloud_Cookie

That's awesome that you got an internship! I also work in a lab (a very different lab), but nonetheless, it's a lot of fun. I am actually planning on going to grad school in California, do you really enjoy school there?

I've lived in California all my life, so of course I enjoy going to school here. I can't imagine living anywhere else.
Plus California has the best university system.

Fanatical Phantom

Cloud_Cookie
Padawan Brittany
I'm a 2012 graduate and I majored in social work. I'm going back though, into first year this fall to major in history.

Do you have a social life? Why or why not?
Not really, and that's not due to college - I'm simply the type of person who prefers to stay home, and be social over the internet.

Has you relationships with others been affected because of college?
Not really, though my boyfriend and I won't see each other as much when I go back, between classes and my job.

The first time around I went for a job, and two years later I work in retail, so this time I'm going to enjoy myself.

Nope, as I just said, I graduated two years ago and I still work in retail. A friend has a Master's degree and also still works in retail.

Watch what you buy and eat - I had an issue with only buying junk food when I started college, and gained a lot of weight that took years to lose.

That is wonderful that you are going into social work! I don't think you guys get enough credit for what you do! Thank you (:

Yea, relationships are always challenging during school-schedules differ so much stressed

I'm glad that you are going back again to fulfill the rest of what you wanted to do! It is really difficult for people to get that courage to go back again haha, which is totally understandable as well.

Thanks for the food advice! I think that is a really important fact to be aware of...staple college foods: ramen, pasta, chips, soda, coffee, energy drinks, and maaaybe a granola bar sometimes haha.

I'm not going into social work...I went to college for social work but I didn't enjoy it, it's not what I want to do, it's simply one of the high in-demand careers around here that's not science-related.

I mean, yes, when I graduated I did look for a job in the field but two years later, still working at Walmart, I don't care if I never find a social work job because it's not exactly what I want to do.

Kliapatra's Partner In Crime

Beloved Bunny

16,075 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
First year graduate student. But I can talk about my undergrad experiences as well, so it's more relevant? I guess. I graduated with a BA in sociology, a minor in Environmental Earth Science. Currently in an MA program for sociology.

I did in undergrad. It wasn't the go-out-at-night type of social life, but I had people I would hang out with on campus during the day between classes. Played pool, Magic the Gathering, ate food together, etc. My socializing during nights and weekends was with my boyfriend.
I actually was more social at this time than any other before that, and I developed some nice friendships.

Graduate school is different. My social life is basically my officemates (which is fine they're cool) and sometimes the lolita community meet-ups. But I don't have time to just go chill anymore; I hardly have time to eat and sleep right/enough. Nights & weekends are still mostly with the boyfriend, but my irregular sleeping habits and the stress from the workload have strained our relationship. We'll get through it, though.

I switched majors twice (for a total of three lol) during my undergrad programs. I had fun painting and wanted to be a painter, but I was bored senseless by the courses in visual arts. So I changed to environmental science...and had fun until I couldn't pass Calc and Physics. I nearly dropped out of school at that point, I was so down about it.
Switched to sociology, loved it, excelled at it, and I'm pursuing a career as an academic now. So...I guess the classes became the job?

It still means more than just a high school diploma or GED, but more people are getting a degree. Employers have their pick for new hires, there are so many. I'm sure there has been stats done on this stuff, but to be honest I haven't really looked into it because I'm going beyond a BA.

Learn to budget...both your time and your money. And, always leave "padding" for both. There will always be unforeseen expenses or time drains and you don't want to be stuck.
When you are talking to landlords or seeking apartments, etc, behave like an adult. A peer. Do thorough research, ask questions (even if you think they're rude or silly), and stand up for yourself.

What's the coolest thing you've done or learned so far?!
I've attended a handful of conferences across the country (presented at one, hoping to present at another next year) and connected with professionals. I've also roadtripped three times through various states. But I think what I consider coolest was my move 1300 miles from CT to FL for graduate school. It's like I'm living an entirely different life.

In undergrad, the coolest thing was working in a lab processing fossil teeth and bone samples for carbon isotope analysis.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff