Welcome to Gaia! ::

Zphal's Wife

Shy Conversationalist

I don't think nursing mother nurses in public "to get a reaction". I don't understand why there can be huge ads for half naked Victoria Secrets models tossed around and no one bats an eye. But a woman is breastfeeding her baby and it's obviously scandalous.

When a woman nurses her child in public her reaction is "My baby is hungry. I need to feed them". Not "Well GOSH I REALLY want to show off my boobs to EVERYONE."

Beloved Lunatic

10,800 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
xocharIie
Tute Sweet
xocharIie
Faerie Dreams
I didn't breastfeed my son, but I plan on trying with #2.

Good for the women who feel comfortable enough to do it in public without a cover, I am way too self conscious for that lol.
My mom tried breastfeeding with my older sister but she said it hurt so she didn't do it with me or my brother.

Yeah, it can hurt like hell at the beginning, but it does get better.

I personally believe it's worth powering through the pain at the beginning, as breastmilk is still nutritionally superior to any formula. Making personal sacrifices is just part of being a parent- even if that means putting yourself through temporary pain so your baby can get the better nutrition.
This is probably a dumb question but what about normal cows milk? o:

same reason you wouldn't give a baby cat milk or bitches milk. Oh wait, my nephews and nieces did drink b***h milk. twisted But the fact is all animals need different things. Cows milk has much more protein to help a calf grow large, but not the right kinds of fat for building human brains. Cow milk is nutritious as a side dish, but it is not a complete food for a human.

Invisible Conversationalist

9,950 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
Mama Ame
Feminist Barbie
Mama Ame
Not only do I public breastfeed, but I'm also an extended breastfeeder. I have a 3 year old who still nurses a bit at night (though she's been done in public since she's been about 2) and a 1 1/2 year old who nurses frequently. Also I'm about 9 weeks pregnant. To me breastfeeding is as normal as breathing.

I used a cover for a bit when my oldest was a tiny baby, but quickly learned it was too much of a hassle. I can discreetly nurse without drawing attention to myself (yay small boobs!). I've never had any negative comments thankfully.

Where you exclusively nursing when you got pregnant? I'm curious because I've heard that breast feeding is supposed to prevent pregnancy but you're supposed to do it exclusively and quiet often for it to work. It sounds old wives tale-y to me, but eh, the human body is weird.

Oh no. My period came back each time. With my oldest it was when she was 11 months, and I got pregnant with my second daughter the next month.

This time around it came back when #2 was 13 months, and I got pregnant when she was 19 months.

Breastfeeding CAN delay ovulation, but there are certain criteria. They have to be six months or younger, exclusively breastfed, and a few others. Though I've known plenty of women who have gotten pregnant while following the guidelines. So it's best to be careful if you don't want another.

Ah. The body is so weird, lol. Yeah, I wouldn't have trusted it at all.

Zphal's Wife

Shy Conversationalist

Sky Blue Faerie
xocharIie
Tute Sweet
xocharIie
Faerie Dreams

Good for the women who feel comfortable enough to do it in public without a cover, I am way too self conscious for that lol.
My mom tried breastfeeding with my older sister but she said it hurt so she didn't do it with me or my brother.

I personally believe it's worth powering through the pain at the beginning, as breastmilk is still nutritionally superior to any formula. Making personal sacrifices is just part of being a parent- even if that means putting yourself through temporary pain so your baby can get the better nutrition.

same reason you wouldn't give a baby cat milk or bitches milk. Oh wait, my nephews and nieces did drink b***h milk. twisted But the fact is all animals need different things. Cows milk has much more protein to help a calf grow large, but not the right kinds of fat for building human brains. Cow milk is nutritious as a side dish, but it is not a complete food for a human.

Plus your not even supposed to give cow's milk until a baby is at least one.

Fluff Fairy

8,650 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
I'm not even going to argue because its moot. The naive teenyboppers on here and conservative wackos will never stop thinking that breastfeeding is disgusting/unnecessary/"you should go in the bathroom"/"you can just pump because pumping is easy!!!11"

I will breastfeed in public with a cover if I can and if someone has an issue they can sit on a d**k because the law is on my side.

Sparkly Giver

10,900 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
Sky Blue Faerie
xocharIie
Tute Sweet
xocharIie
Faerie Dreams

Ahh I see, makes sense. smile

Lucky Star

I saw a lady breastfeeding walking around the fair yesterday.
Anyone who just glanced would have just thought she was holding her baby close to her.

I really don't get the issue, it's like the people who complain about breastfeeding in public have never actually seen someone breastfeeding in public... And just assume it would be gross to see

Zphal's Wife

Shy Conversationalist

I think people are under the assumption that when a woman breastfeeds in public she flops out her breast,waves it in the air and shouts "I'M FEEDING MY BABY! LOOK AT ME!".

Now personally I've never seen this happen but...it's a big world.

Divine Sex Symbol

9,450 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
People making a big deal about women breastfeeding it beyond me. I don't see a problem with women breastfeeding, and the only problem I'm seeing is that people are confusing something that is natural to be more sexual. It's a big ol' double standard with this society that we live in, like it's not ok for a grown woman to breastfeed her child in public, but it's ok to have a grown man to whip out his d**k and take a piss on the streets.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
Rose Kuran
People making a big deal about women breastfeeding it beyond me. I don't see a problem with women breastfeeding, and the only problem I'm seeing is that people are confusing something that is natural to be more sexual. It's a big ol' double standard with this society that we live in, like it's not ok for a grown woman to breastfeed her child in public, but it's ok to have a grown man to whip out his d**k and take a piss on the streets.

well... except that it's actually not socially acceptable for men to piss in public. o_O; I have no idea where you would get the idea that people are ok with that. it's just not true. we have laws against public urination.

7,100 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
rolleyes

Everyone has different opinions. Some people are comfortable about breast feeding in public and others aren't. The general public have mixed opinions too. One half is ok with women breast feeding in public and the other half find it uncomfortable.

We get you're comfortable OP and you want to breast feed in public. Fine. Just don't go ape sh*t over those who find it uncomfortable. It's not going to change anyone's views.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff