Welcome to Gaia! ::

halves
20 Shades of Crazy
halves
In media res

Then why can I not have a Nazi month? Many people think that what they did was brilliant.

I don't think that Martin Luther King Jr, would have been able to do what he did if the president of the time supported him.

I hate being reminded for a whole damn month that white people persecuted the blacks.

I'm white, my ancestors didn't, why should that be shoved down my throat?

It's a persecution complex instead of remembering we are all equal.

If we keep reminding society that blacks need their own month in order for us to acknowledge them, then it's just another form of segregation.

Its not being 'shoved down your throat' :/
Black History month doesn't even affect everyday life, its not like you're forced to watch TV programs about black people or say sorry to every black person you see in the street or something ridiculous like that.

The fact that you're so prickly about being reminded of the ethnic group that basically did all the hard work so that you can sit there with your computer and Sky TV and 24 hour supermarkets just goes to show why we need it. White people should feel guilty. But the month is more than that, its celebrating those whose achievements weren't celebrated under segregation and slavery.

If you don't want to participate in it, then don't. That's fair enough. But you should recognize the atrocities done to some people just because of the amount of melanin in their skin and the achievements that some people made despite the difficulties they faced.

White people...should be guilty
Why should I be guilty? I didn't do flying ******** thing to anyone. And neither did my ancestors. They were in Europe. |:

Maybe not guilty as such, but definitely responsible. Europeans were the ones that purchased slaves, actually, and sent them to work in their plantations in America.

LOL, so wait, I'm responsible for the suppression of blacks just because I am white?

450 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
halves
20 Shades of Crazy
halves
In media res

Then why can I not have a Nazi month? Many people think that what they did was brilliant.

I don't think that Martin Luther King Jr, would have been able to do what he did if the president of the time supported him.

I hate being reminded for a whole damn month that white people persecuted the blacks.

If we keep reminding society that blacks need their own month in order for us to acknowledge them, then it's just another form of segregation.

Black History month doesn't even affect everyday life, its not like you're forced to watch TV programs about black people or say sorry to every black person you see in the street or something ridiculous like that.

The fact that you're so prickly about being reminded of the ethnic group that basically did all the hard work so that you can sit there with your computer and Sky TV and 24 hour supermarkets just goes to show why we need it. White people should feel guilty. But the month is more than that, its celebrating those whose achievements weren't celebrated under segregation and slavery.

If you don't want to participate in it, then don't. That's fair enough. But you should recognize the atrocities done to some people just because of the amount of melanin in their skin and the achievements that some people made despite the difficulties they faced.

Why should I be guilty? I didn't do flying ******** thing to anyone. And neither did my ancestors. They were in Europe. |:

Maybe not guilty as such, but definitely responsible. Europeans were the ones that purchased slaves, actually, and sent them to work in their plantations in America.

Dude, I was born in '93. Long after purchasing people was made illegal. I am in no way responsible for something somebody else did. That's like saying "oh, this black guy raped that girl. Now, all black people should feel responsible for the rape of that girl. Because you're black like him."
My family tree has been traced back and my family owned a ALOT of slaves.My family was very well off back then (we still are).In a town near where i live a family of blacks came to my house one day and they have the same last name as us and they where tracing down our family tree to see who enslaved there family years ago.It upset my mom cause the way they acted like we owed them something for what happened.My family must not have been that bad since they did give them there last name.The way i feel about it is i didnt do it so i dont care and about the whole month thing i think its BS and no month should be given to any race.

5,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
[******** humanity.. they whine about everything little petty ******** thing. I'd rather be a green alien and live on mars. In hopes of one day destroying humans. *turns off wahmbulance alarm* cheese_whine -.- No one put a gun to your head and said " watch roots"
A Curious Angel
So why is there no White History Month?
I think its only fair that my race gets a month aswell.

Every month is white history month... idiotic children, We celebrate black history month because blacks gave so much to the past American society and recieved little to no recognition about it. We have this month because we African Americans fought for it, and ulike other races; we african americans don't have a true culture... I mean sure our ancestoers come from Africa but we lost our ways thanks to the white invasion. We didn't have a choice about coming here. Unlike you ancestors of Immigrants, we couldn't bring our faith and hope in a better life. Threads like this make me so angry and yet I still love white people, I still love red people and I still love yellow people.... why can't others be the same.

Do you guys know that the first race on earth was dark like mine, and then when that race branched from the crescent they began to change and adapt to their climate... If you think about it, we blacks are like that acient race; anyway I'm proud, proud of my history, my race, and America for accepting that month. (even though black history should be included with everyday history)
I kinda agree there are no other history months besides black history month and I know it really shows how far black have really come but so have many other races and on so I think its almost like pushing other races of people to take part in something that many not be nessasary if people really wanted to know about it they could do it on there own there are so many other races that have done a lot for americas history that get little or no reconistion for anything they have done.
halves
20 Shades of Crazy
halves
In media res

Sweet like candy to my soul

You're right, Europeans did purchase slaves. Do you know who they originally purchased them from? African tribes. During whats known as the triangular trade, Europeans brought finished goods to Africa and sold and traded them for servants. These people were members of other tribes that were captured as prisoners of war. Africans sold each other first. But I don't think that matters, they shouldn't feel guilty for the deeds of their ancestors, and neither should we.
Sweet you rock and sweet you roll.
In media res
halves
20 Shades of Crazy
halves
In media res

LOL, so wait, I'm responsible for the suppression of blacks just because I am white?

No, you're misinterpreting me. You, me, and everyone living in a western, rich country should accept that a good deal of the wealth we enjoy is due to slavery. Not take responsibility for it, no, but in my opinion any decent person will remember what the slaves did for us and how badly we have treated black people in the past and to be honest some still do today, and feel at least a little ashamed at the actions of our ancestors.
Everyone needs months. We all need love!

450 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
halves
In media res
halves
20 Shades of Crazy
halves
In media res

No, you're misinterpreting me. You, me, and everyone living in a western, rich country should accept that a good deal of the wealth we enjoy is due to slavery. Not take responsibility for it, no, but in my opinion any decent person will remember what the slaves did for us and how badly we have treated black people in the past and to be honest some still do today, and feel at least a little ashamed at the actions of our ancestors.

Why should I feel ashamed? Why? I didn't do anything to any of them. Why do you only say that white people should feel ashamed when we live in wealthy countries when black people enjoy this wealth as well? When they enjoy luxuries like AC and TV, cars, things that signal wealth in a country when a majority has it. Why shouldn't they feel guilty? Ashamed? Because it wasn't their ancestors? Well, guess what: I couldn't control what they did, nor could any other person, regardless of race, right now.

Anxious Cutie-Pie

10,750 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Personally, I don't think that any race should be given a month to single them out,
unless we do it for everyone, and that isn't going to happen.

20 Shades of Crazy
Hispanic History Month is in march. There is Asian and Pacific Islander history month (May, I think...), Native American History month, and Black history month (of course xP ). Then there is women's history month (also March), and gay history month (October).

Oh, it's so lame that we don't even celebrate those!
I definitely think we should.
I'm going to from now on.
heart

halves

Ugh, sorry, but that part is all pretty untrue and silly.
It's actually rather offensive.

I mean, for one thing, we have everything we have because of black people?
They're the only ones who did hard work? -__-
I have to disagree. Strongly.

Besides, I hate that I am made to feel guilty about slavery and everything at school all the time lately, and you seem to agree with it. What, because I'm white? Because honestly, my ancestors were in the north. They were fighting to free slaves. But "White people should feel guilty"?
That really makes no sense to me at all.

You also said, later, that if they should not feel guilty, they should feel responsible.
Should I feel responsible for slaves being freed?
Because my ancestors worked for it?
I was not even there. Why should I be thanked or blamed?

I don't like being made to feel bad for things that someone else did.
Especially for things that I not only didn't do, but wouldn't ever do myself.
My ancestors even fought for the other side of this whole thing.
So I should not have to hear "white people should feel eternally guilty for the horrible way they used to treat black people!" all throughout this month. And I do hear that. Often.

I don't know, I really have nothing against black people.
They're really...just like everyone else, so why would I?
But at the same time, I have done nothing to hurt them and shouldn't have to "feel guilty."

20 Shades of Crazy

Dude, I was born in '93. Long after purchasing people was made illegal. I am in no way responsible for something somebody else did. That's like saying "oh, this black guy raped that girl. Now, all black people should feel responsible for the rape of that girl. Because you're black like him."

Wow, that was phrased perfectly. xD
I agree completely.
20 Shades of Crazy

Why should I feel ashamed? Why? I didn't do anything to any of them. Why do you only say that white people should feel ashamed when we live in wealthy countries when black people enjoy this wealth as well? When they enjoy luxuries like AC and TV, cars, things that signal wealth in a country when a majority has it. Why shouldn't they feel guilty? Ashamed? Because it wasn't their ancestors? Well, guess what: I couldn't control what they did, nor could any other person, regardless of race, right now.

-sigh-

I'm not saying you should feel guilty about the wealth of your country. Hell, I'm not exactly complaining, am i?
But I still feel a little ashamed about the way we have come about being so rich. And I also feel ashamed that only a small proportion of the world enjoys the luxuries I do. I may be being a hypocritical middle class white girl as I can shout my a** off about the problems in the thrid world without doing anything about it, but I still feel ashamed that I have so much, at the expense of so many, when so many have so little.
And this is completely besides the point, as the whole point of Black History Month isn't meant as some kind of penance to white people. Its to celebrate a culture and the achievements individuals have made. The reason I got involved in this argument in the first place is because someone was whining that there isn't a white history month. White people's successes and achievments are celebrated a lot more broadly then those of black people, who are often left out of history books, and thats a fact that cannot be denied and needs to be rectified.

Its the same for other cultures as well, but not whites. I'm not saying we would should push aside our own white culture and only celebrate black culture, or that black or white people should feel they should forget their own heritage and adopt someone else's. All I'm saying is that Black History Month is a good way to get the achievements of black people through history to be recognised by others, and that can only be a good thing.

450 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
halves
20 Shades of Crazy

-sigh-

I'm not saying you should feel guilty about the wealth of your country. Hell, I'm not exactly complaining, am i?
But I still feel a little ashamed about the way we have come about being so rich. And I also feel ashamed that only a small proportion of the world enjoys the luxuries I do. I may be being a hypocritical middle class white girl as I can shout my a** off about the problems in the thrid world without doing anything about it, but I still feel ashamed that I have so much, at the expense of so many, when so many have so little.
And this is completely besides the point, as the whole point of Black History Month isn't meant as some kind of penance to white people. Its to celebrate a culture and the achievements individuals have made. The reason I got involved in this argument in the first place is because someone was whining that there isn't a white history month. White people's successes and achievments are celebrated a lot more broadly then those of black people, who are often left out of history books, and thats a fact that cannot be denied and needs to be rectified.

Its the same for other cultures as well, but not whites. I'm not saying we would should push aside our own white culture and only celebrate black culture, or that black or white people should feel they should forget their own heritage and adopt someone else's. All I'm saying is that Black History Month is a good way to get the achievements of black people through history to be recognised by others, and that can only be a good thing.

There's an Irish history month, and they're white.
The Irish were treated terribly in America when they first started coming here. "No Irish allowed" signs were posted everywhere, they couldn't find jobs because of it, and many other things such as that. Other groups of white people weren't much better off than them.

And apparently, they need more recognized history months if no one knows that.
i like Black History Month!!!!!!!!
20 Shades of Crazy
halves
20 Shades of Crazy

-sigh-

There's an Irish history month, and they're white.
The Irish were treated terribly in America when they first started coming here. "No Irish allowed" signs were posted everywhere, they couldn't find jobs because of it, and many other things such as that. Other groups of white people weren't much better off than them.

And apparently, they need more recognized history months if no one knows that.

That's a good thing, but I'm not sure what you're implying by this post to be honest. Its not a race to see which ethnicity got treated worse and most deserves a 'month'. This topic is about black history month, so thats what I'm discussing. I'm not denying that other ethnicities have suffered.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff