Welcome to Gaia! ::

I had to learn to be independant at age 5 or 6 as when I'd stay up my fathers house he'd go out at 5am leaving me alone in his house till 8pm then he'd get drunk and rant how women are useless and that we didn't need them.
I'll never not need other people but in terms of financial independence... I guess I was halfway there in college because I was working and my family wasn't helping me pay for school at all (not because they weren't willing, but because they couldn't afford it), but at the same time I relied on them during breaks and to pay for my travel to/from school and they'd also help me pay for books. So, this year is the first I've been financially independent (23) as in, I pay my own bills and anything my family gives me is a gift, not a necessity.

Still, I wouldn't say I am or ever will be truly "independent," even if I am financially supporting myself. I just can't imagine thinking of my life in those terms when so much of what I do or need relies on other people in some way.

Cluttered Cutesmasher

I was fully independent when I moved out at 18.

Though in May/June, i'll be moving into my parents second home rent free.
So me and my fiance can save a large house deposit for a mortgage.

But we will be paying all the bills, council tax, tv license and anything else.
So I guess we'll be a partial burden? Or may be not..

Friendly Regular

7,650 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
11/12.
I stayed home during the summers with my brother (3 yr younger). I also started doing my own laundry and making my own food and such.

I was never "fully independent." I relied on them for shelter and they paid my car insurance. Otherwise I began purchasing all of my own things when I got my first job at 19.

Tipsy Prophet

I know how to be independent, I live alone and take of myself and one other person (and two cats and three mice but that's irrelevant) but it is not possible for me to be financially independent right now because I do not have an education. Which means it's pretty damn hard for me to get a job.
I moved out at 20, bought my own car at 18 though so I wasn't really dependent on my parents.

Timid Winner

I'm 17 but still dependent. I rely on my parents for my everyday needs and for educational fees.
19. I worked while living in my parent's house for a year then moved out. I wasn't fully independent then though, 'cause I moved out with my brother and shared expenses with him. But then he lost his job so I'm paying for both of us now. I'm not sure what it's called when others start becoming dependent on you. Because it doesn't feel like independence.

Nevertheless, I don't feel independent either way because I'm still very close to my family and know they'll support me if we have financial troubles. I've never had to use their money, but it's nice knowing it's there. emotion_kirakira
I think I TRIED to at 17-18, but I really, really regret it because it landed me back at square one, and I wasn't fully independent with reliability 'til 20.

Anxious Gaian

I was 18 when I first tried, failed miserably because I ended up in an abusive "relationship" with my roommate and best friend of 6 years. The quickest way to get out of the abuse was to run back to mom and dad. At 19 I tried again - this time successfully - and am still independent (or codependent with my fiance if you want to consider that we split the rent) to this day. I'm actually getting married 3 weeks from today, because we're happy, ready, and able ("making a big mistake blah blah blah ruining your life blah blah" though).

I think 19 was a good age. At 18 I was unstable, freshly legal, "because I'm an adult so ******** you". I was constantly drunk and doing drugs. That year I showed up to my family's Easter celebration late, looking trashier than a dumpster, drunk and high. To be fair, my older brother is always dirty, late, and drunk to almost everything, but still.

Fanatical Phantom

About seventeen when I got my first job. My dad died just before I turned sixteen, so money got tight, and while I lived with my mom, I eventually had to pay for my own food, clothes, etc.

So even though at twenty-three I'm moving back in with my mom as I go back to university this fall, I still work and pay for my own food, clothes, phone, education (besides my student loan).

Noob

When I first started going to college at 17. I moved out and had to teach myself how to cook, clean, do my own laundry, and all the stuff my parents spoiled me with. I didn't truly get used to it until I turned 18 a couple of months later.

Sucked at first, I'll be honest. But now, it's more of a daily routine.

Dapper Ladykiller

I was 18 or 19 like most of you.

That's why these days when I talk to 20 year olds who say stuff like "oh I can't do that, my mom won't let me" I start laughing and then go, oh s**t, they're serious.
I'm still a dependent vassal.
sinfully_cute
I was 18 or 19 like most of you.

That's why these days when I talk to 20 year olds who say stuff like "oh I can't do that, my mom won't let me" I start laughing and then go, oh s**t, they're serious.

Well, when you have no source of income in a horrible economy, and your parents are paying for everything, you kind of have to obey.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff