Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lavish Consumer

11,000 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Please close this topic.

Anxious Bookworm

My boyfriend and I are both uninterested in sex and we've been happy together for two years now. Don't give up looking!

Generous Fatcat

No, but my sex drive is virtually nonexistent.

Demonic Lunatic

I wish I was asexual.

Sparkly Vampire

9,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
LilithDraco
Are there any stories about happily married asexuals? Are you an asexual male? Has anyone found an asexual boyfriend?

This is what the internet is for if you need to find a certain minority demographic to date. Go on asexual dating sites.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
olaf the tea drinker
I have serious doubts about the legitimacy of asexual being anything else then a hormone imbalance

Pairing behaviors observable in various species -- humans being the most notable (although we instinctively possess both monogamous and polygamous behaviors), but penguins and a few others share the nature -- are inherently sexual in nature. The desire to pair with a mate arises from an instinct whose sole purpose is explicitly in reproduction, and the mate one chooses is decided based on a set of unconscious criteria intended to identify who among a set of potential mates has the most desirable genetic material, in theory ensuring the genetic superiority of one's own progeny. The human is a species which reproduces sexually; therefore, all humans possess inherent sexual instincts.
Certain sexual behaviors arise in many species which naturally prevent reproduction -- homosexually; abstinence -- and it is thought that they are related to the abundance of resources in the environment. When fewer resources exist than are necessary to support a large extant population, that population may be observed to consume less food and water and engage less in sexual activity (an experiment into this was conducted using mice, in fact); conversely, should a small population encounter an extreme abundance of resources, they will instinctively engage in a state of heightened consumption and reproduction.

It is possible that asexuality is simply an instinctive response to human overpopulation, which would effectively disappear were most of the species to be destroyed. However, that it just my own supposition. I don't think that makes it illegitimate; I just understand that these things usually have an identifiable naturalistic cause.

As an afterthought, I suspect that, as most humans are at least somewhat prone to attraction to members of both sexes, while heterosexual behavior serves the obvious purpose of reproduction, considering the strengthening of emotional bonds between sexual partners and humanity's instinctively pack-type social structure, both heterosexual and homosexual behaviors serve the peripheral purpose of generating a greater sense of investment and community within one's tribe.
Again, though, that's just a guess.

Shtruglotz's Husband

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

8,600 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
I'm a trans guy, if that counts? never had an interest in sex, and never will.

Lavish Hourglass

11,525 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Okay so what is an Asexual exactly stare

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
olaf the tea drinker
Raven Winter

As an afterthought, I suspect that, as most humans are at least somewhat prone to attraction to members of both sexes.
That is ******** bull s**t garbage with no evidence. It is offensive to the overwhelming amount of heterosexuals somehow discrediting their sexuality as invalid. I don't get all these sjw get the notion they can somehow and go around saying that normal people are not really normal and are somehow apart of their special snowflake garbage. I'll respond to the rest in a bit but that stuck out.

Not really, I think you just took it to mean more than it did. I'm not saying everyone is bisexual; I'm saying humans inherently evaluate the sexual suitability of all other humans they encounter, and without necessarily experiencing arousal, generally rank members within both sexes, experienced in daily life as "this person is attractive/unattractive".
I imagine you have the capacity to look at a dude and appraise how nice or shitty he looks, and that's pretty much what I'm referring to.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
olaf the tea drinker
Raven Winter
olaf the tea drinker
I have serious doubts about the legitimacy of asexual being anything else then a hormone imbalance

Pairing behaviors observable in various species -- humans being the most notable (although we instinctively possess both monogamous and polygamous behaviors), but penguins and a few others share the nature -- are inherently sexual in nature. The desire to pair with a mate arises from an instinct whose sole purpose is explicitly in reproduction, and the mate one chooses is decided based on a set of unconscious criteria intended to identify who among a set of potential mates has the most desirable genetic material, in theory ensuring the genetic superiority of one's own progeny. The human is a species which reproduces sexually; therefore, all humans possess inherent sexual instincts.
Certain sexual behaviors arise in many species which naturally prevent reproduction -- homosexually; abstinence -- and it is thought that they are related to the abundance of resources in the environment. When fewer resources exist than are necessary to support a large extant population, that population may be observed to consume less food and water and engage less in sexual activity (an experiment into this was conducted using mice, in fact); conversely, should a small population encounter an extreme abundance of resources, they will instinctively engage in a state of heightened consumption and reproduction.

It is possible that asexuality is simply an instinctive response to human overpopulation, which would effectively disappear were most of the species to be destroyed. However, that it just my own supposition. I don't think that makes it illegitimate; I just understand that these things usually have an identifiable naturalistic cause.
Philosophy is useless here when we can obtain numbers

Wait, what? Literally none of that was philosophy.

575 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Timid 100
I've never met one in my entire life. I thought I used to know one but he was a closeted something.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff