Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ok, first off, I am not the one with the learning disorder, this thread is mainly to ask how I might help the one who does.

I have a friend, let's call her Chi, her nickname. Chi is not even a straight C student, her grades vary between C's, D's, and F's. She's rather slow at learning, and doesn't usually understand the things that are thoroughly explained to her. Today she told me that her counslor suspects she has a learning disorder. I have tried helping her with her homework, but have only been able to do so in Math.
Really, I want to help her, but I'm not sure what I could do to help. Her mother surely isn't helping, I think she's the cause of it. Since she did throw Chi against one to many walls as a child, and still does. Her counslor wants to put her on depresaints (sp?) for no absolute reason. And the teachers aren't much help either, since in previous years they would help kids in their work, but now just explain how to do it, and leave the rest of the work to the students.
Is there anyway I could help Chi? At all?
Aki?
*shakes head* Anyways...Just try to be there for her. If she may need some medication it'd be for the best. Keep on helping.
Good luck!
-PWG
Have her talk to a school counselor. They can then speak to the teachers/principal. From there, she might be able to get into special classes where the teachers do help the students with their work.

I'm the last person to suggest medication though. Society is ready to medicate anyone who doesn't fit their pristine defintion of "normal".
There are many places she could go to, to get help with making learning easier for her. Just be there for her and do anything you can to help her through it. Best of Luck.
Anasi
Have her talk to a school counselor. They can then speak to the teachers/principal. From there, she might be able to get into special classes where the teachers do help the students with their work.

I'm the last person to suggest medication though. Society is ready to medicate anyone who doesn't fit their pristine defintion of "normal".

the last sentece is so well put.
Patience and dedication. If you value yuor friend, then you'll help her as best you can no matter how hard it seems. Good luck to you and her. She'll be among the prayers of many.
Well, I think you should ask her and see if she wants help. I think you should help her any way that you can. Maybe you could tutor her or give her emotional support support. Things like that. Helping her study for tests and/or homework.

My opinion.
Don't be too sure that she has a learning disorder until you get professional help. She could just get distracted easily, or the teachers aren't explaining it good enough.
whats a learning disorder? if it's being slow and being in school when ur like 18 then I got that too.... I'm dyslecsic dibetic and suffer amnesia... I have therapy... and extra schooling
I the anti depressants might help. What people usually don't understand is depression isn't just a disorder that makes you sad, but it affects your eating habbits and consentration as well. Right now, she might not even have the will to learn, because of the stuff she has been through.

I was a 4.0 student. All A's until ninth grade when slipped into a state of depression, all my grades instantly fell to a f to c range. Not only did I strangely not feel like doing the work, but I couldn't understand it or hold onto information either.

Meaning of this story, they pumped me up with medication and now I'm an A student again.
Thashary
Ok, first off, I am not the one with the learning disorder, this thread is mainly to ask how I might help the one who does.

I have a friend, let's call her Chi, her nickname. Chi is not even a straight C student, her grades vary between C's, D's, and F's. She's rather slow at learning, and doesn't usually understand the things that are thoroughly explained to her. Today she told me that her counslor suspects she has a learning disorder. I have tried helping her with her homework, but have only been able to do so in Math.
Really, I want to help her, but I'm not sure what I could do to help. Her mother surely isn't helping, I think she's the cause of it. Since she did throw Chi against one to many walls as a child, and still does. Her counslor wants to put her on depresaints (sp?) for no absolute reason. And the teachers aren't much help either, since in previous years they would help kids in their work, but now just explain how to do it, and leave the rest of the work to the students.
Is there anyway I could help Chi? At all?

i have a learning disability. But my parents weren't abusive. My mother didn't help me much. But i mostly got C's. i know what your friend is going through. Depression pills are a no no. Adderall is good. I use to take that and i really need to get back on it badly. Just try to help her with her homework. and if she wants to watch tv anytime say no and make her work on vocabulary and read. I regret in high school about not reading alot. But now i go to a community, and I still do not have a college reading level. Kind of sad though i know. But I keep hangin in there.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff