Welcome to Gaia! ::

I know some people are good actors but I know of a girl who has realy low self esteem and social phobia but she acts really arrogant around people and they buy it, is she insecure really or is she becoming a conceited person?

Pliskin MD's Wife

Spoopy Bear

17,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Married 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500

I can't answer that for her.
                  Only she knows.
                  But yes, a person with low self esteem can imitate and fake being arrogant.
                  User Image

Chatty Smoker

Could be either one. Often, people who are bullies and/or super arrogant and stuck up really have low self-esteem and are using that to cover it up. Think about it... if you were confident in yourself, would you feel the need to constantly brag and bring other people down?

Sparkly Vampire

9,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
odddjees
I know some people are good actors but I know of a girl who has realy low self esteem and social phobia but she acts really arrogant around people and they buy it, is she insecure really or is she becoming a conceited person?

People who are outwardly arrogant can be the most insecure people on the inside, I've met a lot of these. It's to compensate for how they feel inside, how they want themselves to actually be, and seek approval from others. It can also be a "fake it until you make it" thing.

Irregular Gatekeeper

22,965 Points
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • Headstrong Believer 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
Not a diagnosis, just a terminology to think about:
Inferiority Complex

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
I'm not really a psychologist so I can't really say...but yes, it is very possible.

With society today and how the fact is that bullies are developing more hurtful and harmful ways to get under your skin, I think it is not only a way for her to say that she probably needs help with a problem she's facing with herself + school or herself + home life, but also a shell of protection for herself since she knows. However, this isn't healthy.

Pretending to be someone your not only worsens on how they feel because it is just a reminder that they have to put on a mask every single time to put up an impression (and I know because I do the same).

I say try talking to her, getting to know her. She's probably just really, really, REALLY lonely and is in dire need for a friend who will listen to her woes, and give a shoulder to lean on.

But to answer your question: yes she is really insecure, no she isn't becoming a conceited person (probably, like I said I'm not a psychologist).

But yes: seeing as how you are awesome, I can see you two probably being really great friends! Just try and talk to her. Try not to let her arrogant shell get to you. Yes arrogancy can be VERY annoying, but we have to move past it to see the cotton fluff on the inside. We must remove the pelt, and stare at the cotton so we may insert a heart and develop love~

(okay I know that sounds REALLY REALLY bad AND extremely over the top cheesy, but its true)

Interesting Autobiographer

11,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Generous 100
It is possible. I've seen it happen with a friend of mine.

Hygienic Streaker

8,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Not a direct answer but I think it may help:

A lot of self help books tell you that you should convince yourself to be happy by acting happy. Acting happy can make you feel happy. When I was promoted at work to a lead with about ten to thirty people under me at any one time I was still a little timid and socially awkward, but my supervisor told me to try and tell myself I'm a good leader and pretend to be a good leader and I'll become a good leader. In my case it totally worked.

tl:dr
This person may have had low self esteem but by acting cocky and proud of themselves have become conceited. She may just need to tone it back some to a healthier level.

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
it could be. sounds like MAJOR compensation, and you'd really have to be able to see through it.

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
You can hate yourself, and still think you're better than everyone else. However, it's probably just legitimately bad self-esteem and trying to compensate for it, or just trying to get by. When you have low self-esteem and social phobia it's difficult to function as normal so if you put on a front of being confident and happy with yourself, it becomes easier to cope and people don't treat you like such a pushover.

I have terrible social anxiety and severe depression, which ultimately means I have negative self-esteem, but if I walk with an air of confidence and talk myself up, no one knows the difference and I don't get pushed around and walked all over.

However some people go overboard.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces