Welcome to Gaia! ::

What do you think?

Yeah, the Portal person must have taken the phrase from the TV show. 0.28571428571429 28.6% [ 12 ]
Na, it's just a coincidence. 0.71428571428571 71.4% [ 30 ]
Total Votes:[ 42 ]

Unbeatable Prophet

43,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Healer 50
  • Cosmic Healer 200
User Image

(I posted this in my guild or in some other board some years ago...but I don't recall there being too much response to it. Now that there's an actual board for internet memes, I'll post it here. cat_3nodding )

Anyway, Portal may have been the game that got the kids talking about this...which made it become a meme.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-cake-is-a-lie--5

However, this phrase was used in an old episode of All In The Family in the 1970's.

Go to about 5:49 or so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G46Gry9lCs

Is it possible whoever put this phrase into the Portal game got it from this old TV show and either deliberately put it in the game because of that or didn't realize that he had previously heard it on TV and it just stuck in his head? Maybe he even thought he made it up, not realizing he had heard it earlier in his life? ninja

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
It's also possible that this is a coincidence.
emotion_zzz wat now?

Shady Prophet

22,350 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Kuro Gang 250
  • Punk Patrol 250
The cake is a lie actually has a definition.
It's official definition is: "The promised reward is fictitious"
It is quite possible that Portal decided to use that, as it was a pun to them, or amusing.

7,850 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
OtakuJeannie
It's also possible that this is a coincidence.

Awwwwww, but it wouldn't be as fun then. Let us dream.
I challenge your challenging with a challenging challenge of challange! emotion_awesome
Then maybe your challenge will be accepted with accepting acceptance excepting nothing. wink

IYamISukI's Husbando

Friendly Browser

6,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Partygoer 500
Cake or Glados? Cake! ................................................................... it was a lie
Valve used it because GLaDoS promises chell cake, the old subjects are stating there is no cake, is it THAT hard to comprehend?
The creator never intended "The cake is a lie" to get it's own meme. It's a simple coincidence. Now take off your tin-foil hats rofl

Unbeatable Prophet

43,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Healer 50
  • Cosmic Healer 200
YWAF
Valve used it because GLaDoS promises chell cake, the old subjects are stating there is no cake, is it THAT hard to comprehend?
I've never played a Portal game, so I don't know anything of the story. mrgreen

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces