Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

Quote:
Swedish high school opens gender-neutral changing room for transgender students

HELSINKI — Officials in a liberal Stockholm suburb that discourages gender stereotypes have decided to open a gender-neutral changing room in a local high school to avoid students being classified as male or female.

Patrik Biverstedt, headmaster of the Soedra Latins upper secondary school, says they decided on the cubicle where one person can change at a time after students proposed it last year. It will be ready by May 6.

Students’ union member Camille Trombetti says the changing room is not only “for transsexual” students but any student who wants privacy when changing for school activities.

Soedra Latins is in the same affluent Sodermalm district where children at the Egalia preschool are encouraged to avoid using “him” and “her” and to call others “friends” instead of girls or boys.

Ferocious Browser

That's a very progressive idea, yay for them. Especially if the student body requested it, that's even better.

However, I wonder how large their high schools are. Mine had almost 3k people, my cousins school had almost 5k, one room would not be enough, not by a long shot.

Loyal Exhibitionist

I wonder how they're going to enforce it, though, since the captivity is just limited to one student at a time and it is not only limited to "transsexual" students but to students that wants privacy changing.
Hasuki Aatisuto
I wonder how they're going to enforce it, though, since the captivity is just limited to one student at a time and it is not only limited to "transsexual" students but to students that wants privacy changing.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm sure they'll work it out, though. Maybe it's a really small school?

Dangerous Citizen

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
It's not a full locker room, Reveille. it's a small private changing room for those that want a little privacy. They are providing a room that is single occupant at a time. I personally don't care as I don't have anything to hide. So to speak.

Ferocious Browser

Jeremy Kaji
It's not a full locker room, Reveille. it's a small private changing room for those that want a little privacy. They are providing a room that is single occupant at a time. I personally don't care as I don't have anything to hide. So to speak.

I know it's one room......

That's why I'm wondering if it will be enough to accommodate the needs of the students, some of which may have been desiring a private change place but could deal with public changing until now. Now that it's available such people may want to make use of it and I was just curious if their school student body's were smaller than mine were. Otherwise there will be a long long queue.

Profitable Gaian

8,600 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Conversationalist 100
It's one thing at a time, but it's something.

Dangerous Citizen

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
Eveille
Jeremy Kaji

I know it's one room......

That's why I'm wondering if it will be enough to accommodate the needs of the students, some of which may have been desiring a private change place but could deal with public changing until now. Now that it's available such people may want to make use of it and I was just curious if their school student body's were smaller than mine were. Otherwise there will be a long long queue.

fair enough on that. but I see it sort of like the "family bathroom" at Walmart, not everyone is going to use it as it has it's own purpose. Only the people that are scared of showing a little skin would use it. So even if the school has a big population only a small portion are going to be in gym class at one given time, and even fewer are going to want to use it. So a percent of a percent sort of thing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff