Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Up to 200 pensioners a day could die this winter because they cannot afford to heat their homes, charity researchers warned last night.

A survey by Age UK reveals six million people aged 65 and over are worried about scandalous price rises being announced by greedy gas and electricity giants.

And three million more fear they will not be able to keep themselves warm.

They charity says about 24,000 will end up dying because of the cold. “That’s 200 deaths a day that could be prevented,” a spokesman said.

The bleak warning was seized on by Labour as fresh proof that energy prices should be frozen and the market reformed to stop the Big Six firms ripping off vulnerable customers.

Average bills were already at a record £1,320 before the latest round of price hikes.

Npower is hitting dual-fuel customers with a 10.4% rise from December 1, while those with British Gas face a 9.2% increase from November 23.

Scottish Power is raising prices by 8.6% from December 6 and an 8.2% rise announced by SSE will come in from November 15.

With other firms expected to follow suit Uswitch, the website that helps consumers find cheaper tariffs, estimates that the average bill will rise to £1,465.

The huge increases come after next year’s state pension rise was set at just 2.7% – less than £3 a week. The basic rate will go up from £110.15 to £113.10.

Age UK said: “The winter can be harrowingly difficult for thousands of older people, with the ever increasing cost of energy bills adding to their worries.”

Shadow Energy Secretary Caroline Flint said: “Pensioners are paying the price of the Government’s failure to act on the scandal of rocketing energy bills.

“Thousands will be forced to choose between heating and eating this winter because of David Cameron’s failure to stand up to the energy companies. ”

She added: “Labour’s price freeze will give some badly needed respite to 27 million households. For the future, we will put all over-75s on the cheapest tariff and reform the energy market to put an end to rip-off bills.”

The Age UK research found almost a quarter of older people did not realise that heart attacks and strokes can be brought on or made worse by the cold.

The charity urged older people to keep living room temperatures at 70F (21C), and bedrooms at 64F (18C).

It has set up a free advice line for those who are worried about paying their fuel bills on 0800 1696565.

Director Caroline Abrahams said: “It is vital for older people to keep warm during the winter months.

"Being cold, even for a short time increases the risk of health problems and preventable deaths.”

I think thats what their Government wants

Demonic Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Well this is what happens when we take for granted the resources of our planet.
Good going. Though the developed nations are to blame.
The developing nations help them, and increase over population by a lot.
I know this sounds harsh, but so what?

Dapper Fatcat

s**t happens. Live and let die baby.

Business Entrepreneur

6,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Having an energy consumption limit for people would help bring respite and help in the short term. Like have people be able to by a fixed number of units at a lower price and anyone who wants more will have to pay a higher price for it. Fixed units should reflect the use of electricity for essential purposes like heating, refrigeration, lights, and some non essential like TV etc. Same with fuels. That way there'd be lost road trips and more people trying to go green and sustainable.
But the executives at the energy company is getting fat bonus as many are being killed by the soaring energy prices. The executives at Wall Street too is getting fat bonus for speculating the fuel prices.
DrNadi91
Having an energy consumption limit for people would help bring respite and help in the short term. Like have people be able to by a fixed number of units at a lower price and anyone who wants more will have to pay a higher price for it. Fixed units should reflect the use of electricity for essential purposes like heating, refrigeration, lights, and some non essential like TV etc. Same with fuels. That way there'd be lost road trips and more people trying to go green and sustainable.

That's a fantastic idea and I'm all for it. However the issue is not that people are using a lot of energy. The issue is that energy giants are putting up the price of using the same amount of energy as before. Profiteering is the issue, not consumption.

People are talking about nationalisation of energy. I don't know if that is such a good idea however there should definitely be a government enforced cap on how much an energy company can charge and/or increase prices by. There should be annual investigations to help determine these caps, and I mean real, thorough investigations not the company sending fake documents to "prove" "how expensive wholesale costs are".

Business Entrepreneur

6,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Satin with Latin
DrNadi91

That's a fantastic idea and I'm all for it. However the issue is not that people are using a lot of energy. The issue is that energy giants are putting up the price of using the same amount of energy as before. Profiteering is the issue, not consumption.

People are talking about nationalisation of energy. I don't know if that is such a good idea however there should definitely be a government enforced cap on how much an energy company can charge and/or increase prices by. There should be annual investigations to help determine these caps, and I mean real, thorough investigations not the company sending fake documents to "prove" "how expensive wholesale costs are".

Nationalisation of energy for the most will only bring about tendencies for corruption among the natural resources. Just like what happened to the Indian coal sector. That place is rotten with corruption for the past few decades that efficiency is very poor.Enacting of legislation should be enough to control prices in the short run but in the long run, it's best to invest in more renewable bioethanol or biodiesel fuels. The competition there will drive the fuel prices down in my guess.
DrNadi91
Satin with Latin
DrNadi91

Nationalisation of energy for the most will only bring about tendencies for corruption among the natural resources. Just like what happened to the Indian coal sector. That place is rotten with corruption for the past few decades that efficiency is very poor.Enacting of legislation should be enough to control prices in the short run but in the long run, it's best to invest in more renewable bioethanol or biodiesel fuels. The competition there will drive the fuel prices down in my guess.

Agree 100% we should invest in more renewable fuels in the long run. For now though, for this winter at least, there should be control over the energy monopoly to stop it spiralling. Nobody believes the CEOs when they say it's because of rising costs and 'green' taxes. There's evidence that these have risen little and/or have made no significant dent in profit margins. Fatcats just want more money but this time they spiked the prices up too much and people are fighting back.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff