10,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Overstocked 200
North Korea ends non-aggression pacts with South, cuts hotline

http://rt.com/news/north-korea-cuts-hotline-981/
Published time: March 08, 2013 00:47
Quote:
Pyongyang announced Friday that it is nullifying non-aggression pacts with South Korea and cutting the hotline with its neighbor. It comes after the UN Security Council adopted a resolution expanding sanctions against North Korea.

North Korea "abrogates all agreements on non-aggression reached between the North and the South," the state-run Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea said in a statement.

"It notifies the South side that it will immediately cut off the North-South hotline," said the statement, which was carried by the official Korean Central News Agency.
More pointless posturing? Is anyone surprised?

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
A very stupid move. How will Kim Jong Un manage to save face now? North Korea hasn't got the resources, particularly food and manpower, to wage an extended war (read: years). Since China co-imposed the sanctions, I don't believe it will aid North Korea, at least not to any significant extent. And there is no chance North Korea could steamroll South Korea before troops from numerous UN nations arrived.

Assuming he's not insane but as intelligent as I think he is, I wonder what Kim Jong Un's real agenda is?

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
Vampirate Kitsune
Assuming he's not insane but as intelligent as I think he is, I wonder what Kim Jong Un's real agenda is?

I doubt Kim Jong Un has much choice in these matters. It's probably all controlled by the military.

Friendly Wench

North Korea really needs to sit down and cool off for a little bit.

Wheezing Werewolf

10,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Overstocked 200
Vampirate Kitsune
A very stupid move. How will Kim Jong Un manage to save face now? North Korea hasn't got the resources, particularly food and manpower, to wage an extended war (read: years). Since China co-imposed the sanctions, I don't believe it will aid North Korea, at least not to any significant extent. And there is no chance North Korea could steamroll South Korea before troops from numerous UN nations arrived.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un may be colorful, but he isn’t crazy.

There is logic behind the intensified war rhetoric, and while it may be convenient for the American public to believe that they are about to be attacked unprovoked by the unhinged dictator of an eerily isolated country, the truth of the matter is that the US and its allies have been doing some offensive posturing that has Pyongyang very much on edge.

While mainstream media outlets are wont to describe North Korea’s rhetoric as increasingly bold, the threats and recent tests of long-range rockets and nuclear weapons are not the result of bravado, rather of fear.

The US and its East Asia allies (namely South Korea and Japan) have been preparing for an offensive on North Korea ever since the death of Kim Jong-il. They see a window of opportunity in the instability of the fragile succession.

Pyongyang has no choice now but to rattle its sabers–and rattling them at traditionally quiet South Korea is the most effective strategy. This is where North Korea can do the greatest damage, and if it feels that a US offensive is imminent, South Korea will come under attack. At the same time, an attack on South Korea will be the final justification for an all-out US-led offensive on North Korea.

Is North Korea confident enough in its nuclear capabilities to act as a deterrent to a US-led regime change effort? The nuclear tests are meant to demonstrate that confidence, but they also demonstrate fear.

The North Korea saga has been a long one, and threats have waxed and waned, always with various talking heads tossing about the idea of a major regional war. What’s different this time is that the US has clearly gone on the offensive and pushed Pyongyang into a dangerous corner.

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
EviI Spaghetti
Vampirate Kitsune

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un may be colorful, but he isn’t crazy.

There is logic behind the intensified war rhetoric, and while it may be convenient for the American public to believe that they are about to be attacked unprovoked by the unhinged dictator of an eerily isolated country, the truth of the matter is that the US and its allies have been doing some offensive posturing that has Pyongyang very much on edge.

While mainstream media outlets are wont to describe North Korea’s rhetoric as increasingly bold, the threats and recent tests of long-range rockets and nuclear weapons are not the result of bravado, rather of fear.

The US and its East Asia allies (namely South Korea and Japan) have been preparing for an offensive on North Korea ever since the death of Kim Jong-il. They see a window of opportunity in the instability of the fragile succession.

Pyongyang has no choice now but to rattle its sabers–and rattling them at traditionally quiet South Korea is the most effective strategy. This is where North Korea can do the greatest damage, and if it feels that a US offensive is imminent, South Korea will come under attack. At the same time, an attack on South Korea will be the final justification for an all-out US-led offensive on North Korea.

Is North Korea confident enough in its nuclear capabilities to act as a deterrent to a US-led regime change effort? The nuclear tests are meant to demonstrate that confidence, but they also demonstrate fear.

The North Korea saga has been a long one, and threats have waxed and waned, always with various talking heads tossing about the idea of a major regional war. What’s different this time is that the US has clearly gone on the offensive and pushed Pyongyang into a dangerous corner.

No person of intelligence believes that North Korea will try to attack the U.S. It has no ability to do so. And even if it did, the U.S. has more than enough capacity to knock anything down over the Pacific Ocean.

There's no reason for the U.S. to attack North Korea, a relatively insignificant nation in the world scheme. It has more reason to attack Iran and more to gain from doing so, yet it hasn't and won't. Even if North Korea was more advanced with nuclear arms, it would still have the wing of China to protect it if the U.S. did attempt to invade or attack South Korea, and the U.S. is not going to jeopardize its political and economic relations with China. China, it appears, likewise does not want to impair relations with the U.S. Even if there was no China, as I said, North Korea has little or nothing worthwhile or of interest to anybody. The cost of undoing the damage done by its own government since 1950 is staggering enough to put off anybody.

If North Korea attacks anything, it will be South Korea. And North Korea will be the aggressor. The U.S. (and myriad U.N. members from AustralAsia, Europe, Africa, and the Americas) would defend South Korea.

Kim Jong-un may not be crazy, but he is narrow sighted. He sees only the U.S. as an opponent and fails to look any farther. Or to listen: China is sending a very loud message, but he doesn't hear it.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
You want to see North Korea chill?

Get China to let go of Hong Kong and Tibet. Get Japan to back off of a few places and leave Korea alone.

Then let Korea party it's self silly and hope that they calm down and adjust to not having what they have been trained to deal with their whole lives.

China won't let go of anything.

Japan isn't going to back off of stuff.

Korea is proving it's been screwed up for too long and it's not handling losing it's dear leader well.

Vampirate Kitsune: China is all for slapping the USA around at the moment. We've been impairing them. We've been pushing countries to honor copyrights internationally. It's been negatively effecting China's economy in some areas because goods are being attacked or confiscated. China has been trying to break off from and start stuff with alot of countries over goods lately. The UK is tettering with China as China comes up with more excuses why all business should be cut off. The UK's mess was mostly because of Russia but now other countries are pulling stuff. Then countries are making up other non-sense for the benefit of other people or countries. So you are required to spend atleast so much on good/products from Country C to containue Business with Country A while you have to limit things you get from Country B. It's all kinds of screwed up and it's been getting worse. China is pretty angry with the USA right now and I only know this because I have caught some news in other countries that didn't air in the USA.

[ If anyone ever reads my post and wonders why I put USA and The United States of America, it is because there are now several United and about five are recognized pretty well internationally. There for, we are not the only US or United States. There are atleast three "United States" currently. I also do not like to put America because that gets confusing, too.]

Benevolent Prophet

9,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
This would be a great time to use the drones. I'm tired of North Korea. Can't we all just shut up and be happy?

Wheezing Werewolf

10,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Overstocked 200

LAST FINAL WARNING
[화면과 시] - 최후승리자의 마지막경고 -

Greedy Capitalist

Greedy Capitalist

EviI Spaghetti

LAST FINAL WARNING
[화면과 시] - 최후승리자의 마지막경고 -

That was so glorious, honorable and democratic; I congratulate you fellow party member. May we wipe out the imperial swine together and bring a smile upon the faces of our proud communist ancestors.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff