Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kawaii Cutie-Pie

link

Quote:
A Chinese man kidnapped as a young boy located his birth parents 23 years later using Google Maps and a misty memory of bridges from his boyhood.

Kidnapped from a small town in Sichuan province when he was 5, Luo Gang was abducted on his way to kindergarten, according to RT.com. Taken hundreds of miles from his home, he was then adopted by a family in Fujian province.

Though Luo did not remember much about his hometown, he tried to preserve the few memories that remained. He saved his one possession from his early childhood for several years: a red sweater, embroidered with a white swan, that his mother had knit for him. But that too was lost, at the age of 13, when his home collapsed.

Through the years, Luo kept hope alive that he would one day find his true parents.

"Every day before I went to bed, I forced myself to relive the life spent in my old home," he told Fujian’s Strait News.

Luo, now 28, remembered a home in front of a small river and two bridges — the only landmarks he could conjure from his hometown. More than two decades later, it was these two bridges that helped him find his parents, when he identified the crossings using an online mapping tool.

Luo started the process when he shared his story on a Chinese website that helps reunite families with missing children. Someone responded with contact information for a family whose son had been snatched 23 years earlier in Sichuan province. They lived in Linshui County, north of Ping Xinqiao, the person told him.

Using Google Maps, Luo looked at close-up images of the area. Soon, he found the two bridges he remembered seeing as a child.

Luo, whose name at birth was Huang Jin, was soon reunited with his parents — as well as a sister whom they adopted after giving up hope they would ever see him again. A paternity test confirmed he was the couple’s son.

Cases of child abduction and trafficking are common in China, where an estimated 76,000 families lost a child last year, according to the report. Many victims are boys who are sold to families in search of a son.

It is not yet clear whether Luo's adoptive parents will face criminal charges.

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
This is very odd indeed. That country regulates the number of kids. how could this have happened?! Happy he got to find his actual parents

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
It is not yet clear whether Luo's adoptive parents will face criminal charges.

Why the heck not? Or were China's adoption procedures so sloppy back then it is conceivable if the parents didn't do the actual abducting they didn't know the child they were adopting was stolen?
Except then I'm thinking - if the man remembered his family then surely he told the new parents he was stolen. When my oldest grandkids were five they would have been very capable of saying their parents were alive and they were stolen and taken away. I have to think the new 'parents' knew they had a stolen child.

Fluffy Loiterer

Hm, perhaps he didn't talk about his family much because he was scared, and they truly didn't know that he was stolen? Just speculating here, it's quite possible they did know.

Izua's Wife

Profitable Bidder

10,900 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bidding War 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Well then why didn't he try to run away? I mean, if I was stolen, I would atleast try to run away or call the police or something!

Apocalyptic Rogue

21,100 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Sweet. biggrin

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
I've heard of things like this happening in China. If a couple doesn't produce a male child, they usually try to kidnap male children.

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
How did his adoptive parents explain how they managed to get a child? Even local bureacracies are pretty much in everybody's business, yet a strange boy wasn't worth a question?

Apocalyptic Comrade

28,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Hero 100
Police cover up. There was actually I comic I read that features two stories of the same issue. There are corrupt cops, or were unless there was a crackdown suddenly. I do hope that bringing such an issue out in the world will help a lot of people who are just like this guy.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Aurora Sunlight
Well then why didn't he try to run away? I mean, if I was stolen, I would atleast try to run away or call the police or something!

I don't think it's that simple in China.

King Noob

Aurora Sunlight
Well then why didn't he try to run away?!

"Taken hundreds of miles from his home"

Can't run away because of that.

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PantheaMarlon
This is very odd indeed. That country regulates the number of kids. how could this have happened?! Happy he got to find his actual parents

It's because of the regulation that this happens. Boys are valued over girls for various cultural reasons so if you give birth to a daughter, then that's it for you, you're a failure of a wife/husband. For families determined to have boys, they have three options: 1) gamble the genetic odds, 2) impregnate away and abort/put up for adoption any girls that are born (a very common and somewhat legal practice that has backfired on them), 3) kidnap a ready made boy and save yourself the heartache of options 1&2.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff