Welcome to Gaia! ::

Divine Muse

Quote:
BECKLEY, W.Va. – West Virginia Division of Natural Resources police recently seized 190 pounds of dried ginseng harvested before the opening of the season, leading to 11 arrests that may only represent the start.

Ginseng hunting is a long-standing tradition among many outdoorsmen in West Virginia. There are strict rules governing the gathering of the root that is prized in the Far East for its medicinal value. DNR police say there is another set of ginseng hunters who have no interest in protecting the resource.

“The only reason they are going out to do this is for the cash. They don’t care about the resource and they don’t care when the season comes in,” said Lt. W.W. Brogan of the natural resources police. “They’re just digging everything they see and if we allow this to continue … not too far in the future we’re not going to be able to harvest ginseng because there’s going to be none left.”

The ginseng season opened Sept. 1.

“There are more arrests coming,” he said. “A lot of these cases when we got involved we found these are the same people who are dealing in drugs and stolen property.”

Officers were able to confiscate thousands of dollars in illegal drugs, $30,000 in cash, stolen guns, and other pieces of stolen property. Some of the cases involved straight trades of ginseng for prescription pills. The value of the illegally harvested root on the world market was around $180,000.

Long-time ginseng hunters provided many of the tips that led to the arrests, and the investigation continues to make new discoveries daily.

“Guys would call us and say they had an area they planned to hit on the first day of the season, but there was a guy already going up there cleaning out a spot before the season was open and doing it every day while the complainant was at work,” Brogan said.

“We are only as good as our information from the public. We have a limited number of officers to cover a big area and we rely on the public’s help with this.”

Brogan said the bulk of the illegal activity occurred in Raleigh, Fayette, McDowell, and Wyoming counties. There were also pending cases in Mercer and Greenbrier counties.

source

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
So...what if you grow it on purpose in your back yard? Can you harvest it whenever? Does this only apply to wild grown ginseng?
I don't understand. Can't they just grow more when they want it since it is a plant? It doesn't exactly seem like a natural resource that will deplete without the ability to replenish it.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Think there are any laws against marking ginseng locations on a GPS and then going hog wild once it's okay to pick it?

15,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Chicken Zombie
I don't understand. Can't they just grow more when they want it since it is a plant? It doesn't exactly seem like a natural resource that will deplete without the ability to replenish it.

it's a very hard plant to grow, it needs special conditions.
It's comparable to the lady's slipper flower as it can't take everywhere.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
crownvetch
Chicken Zombie

I'm reading up on the conditions, and I'm suddenly really liking that a spring popped up in my back yard this summer. They are basically describing my back yard. And I could divert the spring to keep things moist (if needed. I live on a watershed, and due to the forest that has practically sprung up in the back field, the leaf litter is almost always moist underneath). If I had the desire to grow ginseng, I could. I just wonder if it would be worth the investment....
Chicken Zombie
It takes eight to ten years for it to fully mature. The problem with the people that will harvest out of season is they are the same type of greedy people that will go on other people's property and not only harvest mature ginseng but all other sizes too. A proper person harvesting will leave plenty and only take the fully mature pieces making sure that next year they can come back and there will be plenty to harvest and continue on for generations. Those that don't care pick the area clean and are in a certain essence depleting a natural resource that will take decades to grow back in the area. This plant tends to do way better in the wild under mother nature's care than in crops like most plants.

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
xXFurygeistXx
crownvetch
Chicken Zombie

I'm reading up on the conditions, and I'm suddenly really liking that a spring popped up in my back yard this summer. They are basically describing my back yard. And I could divert the spring to keep things moist (if needed. I live on a watershed, and due to the forest that has practically sprung up in the back field, the leaf litter is almost always moist underneath). If I had the desire to grow ginseng, I could. I just wonder if it would be worth the investment....

Well, maybe you could do a few as an experiment and let them just grow wild from one year to the next and see what happens?

But yeah, I don't like it when there are people more willing to wipe out something that is otherwise a wild resource. Leaves nothing for future generations. And always leave some to flower so to have for the future!

15,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
xXFurygeistXx
crownvetch
Chicken Zombie

i say go ahead

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces