Welcome to Gaia! ::

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Grid 2 special edition comes with a car, costs $190,000
More here

Quote:
Not a video game (Credit: Codemasters)Think $60 is too much for a video game? Then you probably can’t afford the ‘BAC Mono Edition’ of Codemasters' upcoming racer, Grid 2.

The special edition rings in at a tidy £125,000 ($188,700), making it officially the most expensive commercially available video game ever produced. In fact, they only made one of them, presumably because making more than one would be ostentatious.

So what can a couple hundred grand buy you these days? How about a racecar?

Indeed, the Mono edition’s crown jewel is a 170 mph BAC Mono supercar decked out in full Grid 2 livery. From the press release:

The BAC Mono is a British manufactured, road-legal, ultra-high performance supercar which stars in the game. Created from high-strength carbon fibre, the BAC Mono is an unrivalled example of light-weight performance engineering and its 2.3 litre, 280 bhp four cylinder power plant will propel its driver from 0-60 m.p.h. in just 2.8 seconds.

You’ll also get a full set of driver race wear -- helmet, gloves, race suit and boots -- because hopping behind the wheel of a vehicular beast of this magnitude wearing jean shorts and a tanktop is NOT okay.

Your special edition duds (Credit: Codemasters)

If a dangerously powerful automobile isn’t quite enough, you’ll also be able to tweak the thing with a full day visit to the BAC factory, where you’ll chat with technicians and customize the car to your liking. Oh, and they threw in a PS3 and a copy of the game, in case you actually slow down long enough to play a video game.

At least the shipping is free.

Squatting man not included (Credit: Codemasters)

It’s far and away the most elaborate video game special edition ever created, trouncing the likes of last year’s Black Ops II Care Package, which comes packed with a remote-controlled quadcopter. And it’s pricier than the most expensive video game ever, an exceedingly rare prototype copy of The Legend of Zelda, which went for $55,000 last August.

Of course, this is really just a fancy car that happens to come with a video game. Your move, Gran Turismo 6.

I thought it was stupid, until I realized it was a legitimate car, not a download.

Shy Explorer

7,100 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Hygienic 200
The only thing I'd pay that much for is a house or a medical bill...I am a girl gamer for the most part (I don't own any game systems but I play as much as I can at friends and relatives houses) and I wouldnt pay that much for a game.
In it's way, that's kind of awesome. I would never buy it, but it's really kind of enjoyable as a marketing stunt. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff