Welcome to Gaia! ::

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Keltoi Samurai
Given the recent spate of "news" stories coming out of China and North Korea and elsewhere that all turn out to be somebody at CNN or MSNBC or whoever hearing an interesting, borderline racist joke and reporting it as if it really happened, I'm'll wait to see if this turns up on Snopes or Cracked or somewhere before I jump on the "ain't that just the damnedest thing" bandwagon.

Agreed this might be a hoax / joke.
On the other hand being out of China lends some plausibility to the story. They are so hung up on having male children it's not difficult to believe a family with a baby with somewhat abnormal genitalia would pronounce it a male and raise it as a male.

I wonder how the couple feels finding out they are in a same sex marriage and whether or not the local laws will allow the marriage to continue or will annul it. I'm not saying they don't genuinely love each other, but it does complicate things legally. And if it was an arranged marriage then I'm sure the parents on each side are having some things to say to each other.

Assuming the story is real of course.
The problem with China is parts of it are pretty sophisticated and parts of it are backwater, uneducated peasant villages full of superstitions and ignorance. The credibility of some stories hinges in part on what sector of society the allegedly ignorant people are from.

Lonely Poster

8,850 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cool Cat 500
Chinese women are already adapting to being killed in the womb - by disguising themselves as males!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff