Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Celebrating birthdays at school just got a little less fun for kids in Australia. New guidelines issued Tuesday by the country's National Health and Medical Research Council say that children can no longer blow out the candles on cakes at school because doing so spreads too many germs.

"We introduced new national standards to lift the quality of child care across Australia because we believe parents deserve peace of mind when they drop their child off they are receiving quality care to a high standard," Australia's Minister for Early Childhood and Child Care, Kate Elliss, explained in a statement. "All services across the country will be assessed and rated against new National Quality Standard which will ensure that services are meeting basic requirements including children's health, safety and wellbeing."

Related: 5 Ways to De-Germ Your Child After School

But parents aren't feeling much peace of mind. Instead, they're outraged, saying that the new rules are so nit-picky that they take all the fun out of being a kid.

"I think that we are protecting our kids too much," one parent told the Telegraph newspaper in Sydney, Australia. "Let the kids be kids, get some germs, build up the immunity, and get on with it. How about the politicians focus on getting other things right."

"This rubbish has got to stop," said another, who works as a scrub nurse in New South Wales. "Kids have been playing in sand pits for years. Kids have been playing in dirt for years. Kids have also been playing with communal toys for years … Kids need to be subjected to these things to build a healthy immune system. These so called experts who seem to know more about health than doctors, won't be happy until kids are kept in a sterile environment, which will then put the child at risk every time it leaves the house."

Australian medical professionals agree that the new guidelines go a bit too far.

"If somebody sneezes on a cake, I probably don't want to eat it either," Australian Medical Association President Steve Hambleton told the Telegraph. "But if you're blowing out candles, how many organisms are transferred to a communal cake, for goodness sake?"

The guide, called "Staying Healthy: Preventing infectious diseases in early childhood education and care services," does offer a solution. "To prevent the spread of germs when the child blows out the candles, parents should either: provide a separate cupcake (with a candle if they wish) for the birthday child and enough cupcakes for all the other children [or] provide a separate cupcake (with a candle if they wish) for the birthday child and a large cake that can be cut and shared."

But daycare providers think the suggestions are not going to be satisfying to little kids.

"It will be very sad for the children," Kristy Strong, a daycare supervisor, told the Telegraph. "It will take away the excitement of it all."

Some of the new regulations are specific to Australia -- "Australian bats may harbour a lyssavirus that is very similar to the rabies virus," the guide warns before offering advice on what to do if you get bitten -- but other rules don't make much sense no matter where you live. According to the guide, children are now expected to wash their hands before digging in the sandbox or playing outside, as well as after. And while all toys, door handles, floors, and even cushion covers must be washed daily, kids with head lice don't have to be sent home from school.

"Just wash your hands before you eat," Hambleton said. "If you live in a plastic bubble, you're going to get infections that you can't handle."

The new regulations also allow day care centers to disregard doctors' notes about when a child is well enough to return to school, instead requiring them to comply with government-determined "exclusion periods" for various illnesses.

"Our nanny-state government just can't help itself," quipped Mark of Hobart, Australia, to the Daily Mail. "We've just dodged Internet filtering and new hurt feelings laws so onto the next target -- the kiddies' birthday parties."

banned

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I thought of the cupcake solution long before I got to it in the article. That just seems like common sense.
And for most kids their main birthday cake should be with family or friends, not at school.
The blowing out candles thing is no big deal. Many kids, especially little ones, often spit when they blow. The other part about not letting kids back until after an 'exclusion period' even if a doctor writes a note saying they are okay seems a bit over the top.
That all seems a tad extreme, I think people should just accept that your kid will share germs with other kids unless you choose to lock them in a sterile room for the rest of their life.

Divine Whisperer

31,725 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PantheaMarlon
Apparently the problem I have with your links is that they're by your post's footer, If you put them bottom-center or top-center I don't think they'll be a problem. Or alternately, make them longer by just putting url tags around them instead of hitting the URL button.
Or copy pasta the link without tags and I can copy it into the bar manually.
ed: or using the normal post style instead of the ornate one, since the footer's only there because of it.

Adored Sweetheart

Oh gosh you can't get away from germs anyways. They are everywhere any ways. Making them where they can't blow out candles on a cake is just ridiculous!

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
I think a better reason can be found than just germs. We're exposed to germs no matter what. That's my two cents.

Crafty Gaian

16,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Supreme Supporter 500
I don't believe there is a fool-proof method of protecting our children from every germ they may possibly come in contact with, nor do I believe we should try. It seems like the more sterile the "experts" want to make our childrens' environments, the more illnesses that seem to spring up with greater resistance to traditional treatments. My children are in their 30's now, and they grew up playing in creeks, wrestling with other children outdoors in the backyard, collected bugs, and one even swallowed an earthworm on a bet; other than a few colds and the usual measles, they came through right at rain. Immunity comes from exposure.

Mega Cutie-Pie

Cool Things Australia Has Banned:

1. Mortal Kombat.
2. Hugging.
3. Blowing out candles for birthdays.
4. Pretty much everything that's fun.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Eh, seems a bit paranoid, if you ask me. I've only ever gone to the doctor for things other than standard check-ups twice, both for ear infections. I don't load myself up on antibiotics. I don't use that silly 99.99% germ killing hand soap. I've shared water bottles and food with classmates. I've played in the mud. To this day, I drink unfiltered tap water. I even lick extra cookie dough off the spatula when I'm done with it, raw egg and all. I'm not saying we should all live like hobos, but at some point you need to relax a little.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
That is stupid, there are already tons of germs in the school as kids aren’t exactly known for being clean. Not to mention the ones left on handles and other places You can’t escape germs or entirely protect kids from it. However, the cupcake solution is a good idea if they do want to protect them from germs.

Invisible Friend

4,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
.................Really? emotion_eyebrow

Distinct Codger

900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
Awh Thats no fair I never got to blow out candles where I live wink But I find that policy idiotic. When you go on a bus, it has thousands of germs, but they still allow it. When blowing out a few candles, its just one kid and your not spitting on it, are you? stare emotion_facepalm emotion_eyebrow

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff