Welcome to Gaia! ::

David2074
Ratttking
David2074

TBH I'm surprised that Christ entered into it at all, in any form, Given Ra and Anubis and stuff like that.
This codex is from ~ 700 AD. The Coptic Church has been around since 42 AD, over 650 years before the codex was written. It is one of the oldest Christian denominations extant.

Fair enough.
Certainly the general area of Egypt and the Med in general (Turkey etc) was the site of much of the stuff in the Bible.
So again I think it gets back to me not knowing too much about Egypt or it's history.
It's just I've heard so much about the Pharohs being treated / considered like gods and their beliefs about the afterlife and such when I they are talking about ancient Egypt I tend to think of Anubus and stuff like that. I recognize that not everyone in Egypt believes in Ra and Anubus and such and that logically that didn't just suddenly happen in 1974 or some such. --
I guess I just never thought about it. smile

If you're too impatient to check out this manuscript, there's already a book with a lot more Coptic spells called Ancient Christian Magic. The content in question is similar, being syncretic in the way the latest discovery is.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
azulmagia
David2074
Ratttking
David2074

TBH I'm surprised that Christ entered into it at all, in any form, Given Ra and Anubis and stuff like that.
This codex is from ~ 700 AD. The Coptic Church has been around since 42 AD, over 650 years before the codex was written. It is one of the oldest Christian denominations extant.

Fair enough.
Certainly the general area of Egypt and the Med in general (Turkey etc) was the site of much of the stuff in the Bible.
So again I think it gets back to me not knowing too much about Egypt or it's history.
It's just I've heard so much about the Pharohs being treated / considered like gods and their beliefs about the afterlife and such when I they are talking about ancient Egypt I tend to think of Anubus and stuff like that. I recognize that not everyone in Egypt believes in Ra and Anubus and such and that logically that didn't just suddenly happen in 1974 or some such. --
I guess I just never thought about it. smile

If you're too impatient to check out this manuscript, there's already a book with a lot more Coptic spells called Ancient Christian Magic. The content in question is similar, being syncretic in the way the latest discovery is.

Not so much impatient as not interested enough to prioritize the time for it.
And I don't mean any offense by that. I'm just not super interested in spending a lot of time on it. But I did find this thread interesting.

Dangerous Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
David2074
One spell is an appeal to Christ and reads: ‘I invoke you today, Bakiotha, great trustworthy one from above, who is trustworthy over the ninth generation of things.
‘Reach out and listen to us today.’

That sounds more like a prayer than a "spell".

prayers, spells, poems, songs, symbols, ect all get their "magic" from the same place as the placebos effect

Punny Skeleton

I'm a little stunned to see that, two pages in, and no one has made a Yu-Gi-Oh joke or reference here yet.

User Image

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
shadowmoon522
David2074
One spell is an appeal to Christ and reads: ‘I invoke you today, Bakiotha, great trustworthy one from above, who is trustworthy over the ninth generation of things.

prayers, spells, poems, songs, symbols, ect all get their "magic" from the same place as the placebos effect

apples and oranges.
Your comment serves no purpose other than for you to take a poke at anyone who believes in any of the things you just mentioned.

There are people who believe that acupuncture and / or herbal medicine benefit them and those who don't and believe that any perceived benefit is merely a placebo effect.
That is not the same thing as saying acupuncture and herbal medicine are the same thing.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Keavy Dragneel
I'm a little stunned to see that, two pages in, and no one has made a Yu-Gi-Oh joke or reference here yet.

User Image

I'll bite.
I'm fighting a head cold so maybe that's the problem but I don't understand the reference.

Punny Skeleton

David2074
Keavy Dragneel

I'll bite.
I'm fighting a head cold so maybe that's the problem but I don't understand the reference.

The main character in the original anime/manga series wore an item around his neck called the "Millennium Puzzle", that had the soul of an ancient pharaoh sealed with in it, and helped him win at card games that ultimately decided the fate of the world. All 7 "Millennium Items", including the puzzle, were forged in ancient Egypt.

The series that gave us the "Duel Monsters" TCG.

User Image

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Keavy Dragneel
David2074
Keavy Dragneel

I'll bite.

The main character in the original anime/manga series wore an item around his neck called the "Millennium Puzzle", that had the soul of an ancient pharaoh sealed with in it, and helped him win at card games that ultimately decided the fate of the world. All 7 "Millennium Items", including the puzzle, were forged in ancient Egypt.

The series that gave us the "Duel Monsters" TCG.

User Image

Ah. Thanks.

Dangerous Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
David2074
shadowmoon522
David2074

apples and oranges.
Your comment serves no purpose other than for you to take a poke at anyone who believes in any of the things you just mentioned.

There are people who believe that acupuncture and / or herbal medicine benefit them and those who don't and believe that any perceived benefit is merely a placebo effect.
That is not the same thing as saying acupuncture and herbal medicine are the same thing.

that isn't what i meant, i wasn't taking a poke at anyone. the power of human belief & emotions has brought forth impossible things. impossible things such as "miracles" & "magic".

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
shadowmoon522
David2074
shadowmoon522
David2074

apples and oranges.

that isn't what i meant, i wasn't taking a poke at anyone. the power of human belief & emotions has brought forth impossible things. impossible things such as "miracles" & "magic".

Okay, I'll take your word for it.
But you quoted me and my point was about different types of things or different religions if you will, but not whether this or that religion was real or placebo or whatever.

I do not personally believe that all religions are false but I also do believe in the power of the placebo effect.

5,350 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Well new things are being found everyday.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff