You have never done it before. 0.5 50.0% [ 7 ]
You have no idea what I am talking about. 0.21428571428571 21.4% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 14 ]

Liberal Raider

6,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
So, my older sister is Vegan and she's been recently teaching me how to cook with organic and local produce, as well as a lot of different substitutes for meat and milk products (different types of beans, nutritional yeast, coconut milk, Apple cider, etc). Even though I absolutely love the food, and have cooked my own renditions of the meals, I am definitely more of a "drink" person. I would rather drink than eat. I feel like this would especially work out while in school and working most of the time too.

We went to the co-op market the other day, and they were selling wheatgrass, which she said was for juicing. I've read about some of the benefits to drinking wheatgrass, but do any of you have any more feedback on it? How about your experiences with juicing in general? Is it expensive? Has it been really healthy for you? What types of juice blends would you recommend? Thank you! 3nodding

High-functioning Loverboy

After working as a vegan chef at a juice bar for almost a year now, there is no way I can go back to not juicing. I usually take my wheatgrass shot with a lemon to cut out the taste, plus the lemon is great for boosting your energy and speeding up your system. I go through ginger like crazy, too. Beets are great for juicing, they make a sweet base and give the drink a beautiful color. If my body is "backed up" or I'm trying to detox I'll make a drink that's straight up beets, kale, and 2 lemons. You will be going through a lot of produce if you juice regularly. I'd recommend having a back-up plan for all of the pulp you'll be creating as a byproduct. There are tons of ideas on what you can do with the pulp. You might want to sort it by fruit and veggie pulp though.
I don't think you'd want to nibble on a chunk of pineapple if you decide to bake pulp chips.
It's best to drink the juice within 20 minutes of juicing in order to get all of the enzymes from your fruits and veggies.

Free combos smile

2-3 ribs celery
2 apples
1 bump ginger
1 lemon
handful of fresh mint

two oranges
small beet
one lemon
1/2 jalepeno
greens (spinach + kale) or parsley

2 apples