Welcome to Gaia! ::

It seems everywhere I look for 'healthy' meals I get salads or cold pasta dishes, or liquidized food.
I'm a meat lover. I realize it's not the best thing to have all the time but I was hoping to find more recipes that involve meat(no pork) and preferably aren't soups(boyfriend isn't a huge soup fan, I love soup though )? Or at the very least aren't salads or cold pasta dishes?

Also, I'm going to be staying with my boyfriend for a week or so and he has a juicer(I don't) and I want to make use of it, anyone have any yummy fruit/veggie juice blends to share?
You can make Chinese chicken and green beans. Take a bunch of fresh green beans, snap the tips off. Then take a chicken breast, cut it half to make two thin wide fillets. Cut those into long strips. Lightly stir fry them with some sesame oil. Then add a sauce that includes 1/2 cup of fresh orange juice, soy sauce, fresh crushed garlic and ginger, and add hot chili paste to your liking. Mix a tablespoon of corn starch in a small amount of water and add it to the sauce, then stir fry it all at a high heat for a few minutes just until the chicken is cooked.

It's lean, tasty and meaty! Served without rice you really cut down on the carbs!
Souds yummy, thank you.
heart
This is a source I really like to use. Under recipes you can look up smoothies and juices:

http://www.youngandraw.com/category/smoothies/

Also if you're a red meat fan, you can always make a ground bison lasagna or pasta by using quinoa pasta and organic tomato sauce (just add some goat cheese in there and some spices for tasting and it's delicious, plus I fry or cook meat with coconut oil and it gives it a really nice flavor).

Elk steaks are also delicious instead of regular beef steaks. Super tastey but without the added fat and preservatives. You can even cook it with a nice dark beer.

One of my fave recipes though, which is a cool recipe and not hot, but works super well with flavors is a crab meat thai dish. You basically get brown rice vermicelli, you just need to soak it in lukewarm water for 10 min, then rinse it, then put it on the stove in boiling water with a dash of oil for about 5 minutes so that it cooks through. Pick out some veggies (I usually do carrots, snap peas, bean sprouts and fresh chopped cilantro, mushrooms) and starting with hard veggies like carrots start cooking them in a frying pan or wok with some coconut oil. I pick up king crab meat that's in chunks, so you basically rinse it in a bowl then shred it. Then I add that and any other soft veggies in with some minced garlic, minced ginger, pepper and salt with a little bit of lime juice.

Once that's done I'll add some shredded romaine lettuce so that it warms up a little bit and set it aside. I'll then boil in a smaller pot 3 tbsp sugar in 1/3 cup water and once it's disolved I'll add 2 tbsp fresh chili paste, 1/4 cup fish sauce and 1/3 cup lime juice and stir it. Turn the heat off and let it cool down and use that as a sauce.

Put it all together and eat (plus if you like cashews, shove some non-salted in there. 3nodding It's actually really quick to make. Takes me about 30 minutes since I'll usually rinse off the vermicelli, set it in water right away and while that's soaking, I'll chop up and wash all the veggies and shred the crab, then put the vermicelli on boil and start the sauce going too and then start cooking the veggies.

Steadfast Hunter

8,250 Points
  • Battle: Defender 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
If you want a healthier choice for poltery: quail. Believe it or not you can actually find this little bird in your frozen food section where the fish sticks and things are. It's very rich in flavor and has less fat per ounce than chicken and turkey. It's also a very versatile little thing and goes with almost everything.

As for red meat: bake, don't fry. (I know this probably isn't helpful) But if you can: invest in a smoker, you can buy them in Wal-Mart from anywhere from 200-500 dollars. Much better tasting than any meat I've ever had, it keeps it juicy, and the way it cooks actually allows you to pull the fat right off instead of having to battle it with a knife and hack your meat all to hell.

Boil your veggies instead o frying or baking.

As for filling snacks? Frozen. Yogurt. Smoothies. one serving of GREEK frozen yogurt, concentrated juice, and any fruit you want. Also: don't be afraid to snack if it's on fruits and veggies. Ever.
And here's a little life hack for you: Celery, Oranges, Strawberries, Tangerines, Grapefruit, Carrots, Apricots, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Watermelon, Cauliflower, Apples, Hot Chili Peppers, and Zucchini; these things make your body burn more calories during digestion then you got consuming them. So anytime you want to snack on any of these and think "maybe I shouldn't" because of trying to diet, turn your little butt around and eat it, that's negative calories right there. Eat. It.
Depending on what you're picking up there's a ton of meals out there that don't involve soups and cold pasta. For instance, I make bison lasagna with goat cheese, elk is also a really healthy meat especially if you buy local and organic and you can make elk steaks with a good beer or make your own seasoning/sauce for it. There's also healthy stews that you can make using lean meats and a good amount of veggies.
Cooking light is pretty decent for healthier meals (magazine or website)

Theres a number of recipes I now even make weekly cause they're that yummy! Usually containing some kid of meat and lots of veggies and low on carbs.

Chicken Quesadillas

Ingredients
        • [Tyson] chicken tenderloin
        • [Rosarita] refried beans
        • Fat free, shredded, [Kraft] mozzarella cheese
        • [Mission] yellow corn tortillas

Frank & Beans

Ingredients
        • [Hebrew National] 97% fat free beef franks
        • [Bush’s] baked beans

Baked chicken with vegetables

Ingredients
        • [Tyson] chicken breast
        • Lemon pepper seasoning
        • [Green Giant] vegetable steamers
        • Optional: [Garland Jack’s Secret Six] barbecue sauce

Turkey pepperoni pizza

Ingredients
        • [Hormel] turkey pepperoni
        • Pizza sauce
        • Fat free, shredded, [Kraft] mozzarella cheese
        • [FlatOut] flatbread

Blessed Fairy

Don't boil your vegetables! Boiling causes nutrients to leach out, so if you're not using the water you're basically throwing all the nutritional benefits away. Steam, roast, or saute (with minimal oil) in order to keep your nutrients intact. wink

Simple things like tacos or fajitas can be healthy, depending on how you prepare them. Make your own spice blend (store-bought is usually full of salt and sugar), use low-sodium tortillas (or make your own), use lean meat, and load up on vegetables. Take it easy on cheese and sour cream though; guacamole is a great 'creamy' additive to make up for using less dairy (and the fats in it are better for you).

Recipe for taco seasoning (I make this without salt, and it can be used for other Mexican-style meals too)

When I do fajitas, I usually use one chicken breast, three bell peppers (in different colors!), a small onion, lots of fresh mushrooms, and the taco seasoning. It makes enough for me and my husband, and then I have leftovers the next day for breakfast. ^_^
Have you thought of salad? Chicken/sausage/bacon can be a fun topper for lettuce, then add your fav dressing and trimmings. Or you could could make a taco salad (basically meat (like ground meat, or sliced up chicken), a thousand island like dressing, and whichever taco toppings you like (ex: cheese, olives, beans, chips)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff