Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Bunny

I'm interested in what the community thinks about Weight Loss Surgery. Do you approve? Do you disapprove? Why or why not? How big is big enough? How young is too young?
if you lack the will and have the money

fine

Tricky Kiddo's Senpai

Anxious Fatcat

My mother and grandmother had weight loss surgery and my father is thinking about getting it. Both my mother and grandmother are very happy. It's hard because you can't eat as much as you used to, and some foods your stomach can't handle at all.

I think the surgery depends on the person. It also requires a certain BMI and I am pretty sure you have to be 18. I honestly don't know much about it, though, but I know the doctors are reluctant to do it when you are young because you are still growing. They might try do find alternatives for it (like they are doing with my dad (he is taking some sort of pill)) and if that doesn't work, then they will inform you more of the surgery.

I think if you want to get the surgery, and believe you will be happier that way (health wise of course), then you should do it. Talk with your doctor, talk with your family members, yada yada.

But yeah uh.... That's it I guess... *awkwardly walks away*
Those are questions you need to talk to your doctor about. Everyone should always try to lose weight willingly on their own before they try to get into a weight loss surgery but if you are at a certain unhealthy weight, some insurances will cover it but it has to be pretty extreme.
Weight loss surgery can cost a ton of money so I would suggest you try dieting first. My family has genetics that cause weight gain to be much easier so I know what it is like to struggle with weight loss and the shitty society judgement but the money is just a lot. Someone in my family had the surgery done and it took her 17,000 dollars. I also have a friend that had the surgery and all her hair fell out. It is one of the possible side effects.
You also will probably be put on a all liquid diet for the first week or two and will be told to drink a certain amount of water daily. Your stomach is going to shrink dramatically so you won't be able to eat nearly as much but your appitite will be the same as before the surgery so it can be difficult. Certain foods after the surgery can upset your stomach as well. There are a few pros to weight surgery but honestly, the cons can easily overpower.

Sparkly Bunny

I never said I myself was getting or interested in the surgery. I just wanted to spark some discussion. smile

Attacking Fatcat

27,050 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
I think each demographic would have a different set of answers to that, and even each person.
Overall, I think a person should certainly strive to lose weight naturally, if they can. If they cannot, for diagnosed reasons, then I think it would be appropriate.
I think the idea that doctors require you to be within a certain weight range before having the procedure is a great idea. I have a cousin that had to lose like 50 lbs before having the procedure and she didn't have any poor effects from it.
My mother, on the other hand, got it when she was almost 350 lbs (I don't remember her being really big though). She had Diabetes so that led to slower healing, but also there were several complications, not only with the procedure, but with her healing itself. Infections, long-term effects, and she still does not have a decent diet. Better than before by a lot though. And she is probably still around 250 lb.
So, it depends on the person and if they will be changing their diet. If you still eat the same foods, your weight will go back up once the band is removed. If you change your diet so it is healthier, then it will enhance the effects of the surgery. That is another benefit of the weight limit for the surgery, that many will have to change their diets for the better beforehand.
As for age, I think once you are 16, you should be allowed to have the surgery. People give high schoolers too little credit for their personal responsibility and awareness of their bodies, but I do think whoever is paying for the surgery (aka parents/guardians) should agree to it as well. The person choosing to have the surgery should be able to prove that they are capable of doing well for themselves and that the procedure would be enhanced by their actions.

TL;DR 16 years old should be the limit. There should be an acceptable weight range, but the person should prove they will live healthy to enhance the effects. Try to lose weight first, if that is not enough, then the procedure.

P.S. I am in a Dietetics degree program because I am particularly interested in weight loss as a profession, but not so much the medical side (which is why I am in Dietetics, not Bariatrics).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff