Welcome to Gaia! ::

Naughty Nerd

41,625 Points
  • Miasmal Lake Defender 250
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Jump Start Boot 100
Well, they're not exactly tics, as they are not completely involuntary. They are semi-voluntary, but just as annoying.

I have several of these, and throughout my life it has been changed from one to another. Some of them I still have from many years ago, others come and go. I would like to know if there are any methods I can use to get rid of them.

I would list them all here but some of them are a little embarrassing, so I'm going to spoiler them. Read them if you think you can figure out some specific solutions for those; if you would rather not hear the list, try to think of general solutions. Keep in mind I've heard a lot of specific solutions for some of these, especially the ones that have lasted years. (I'll put how many years each one has lasted as well.)

- "Sighing" tic (urge to take deep breaths through nose and/or mouth) - since 2005
- Lip licking tic (constantly thinking lips are dry and licking them) - at least most of my life
- Glasses-pushing-in tic (jamming nosepiece of my glasses into the skin of the bridge of my nose) - since 2002, replaced an older and more dangerous version involving digging the lenses into my eyelids and bending them against my face
- n****e-pushing-in tic (every time I feel my nipples sticking out I push them back in by crossing my arms, jamming my thumb knuckles into them, holding a pillow against my chest, or lying on my stomach; wearing bras does not fix this) - since 2003
- Throat-clearing tic (self explanatory) - since a few weeks ago, but is a relapse of a tic last seen in 2006
- Arm/finger stretching tic (when I feel my right armpit and webs between fingers getting sticky when it's hot out, I keep stretching them out which interrupts other things I am doing with that arm; in some cases the tic extends to my left arm and even toes) - since circa 2005

These are really embarrassing when they happen in public because people often misinterpret them for other things or point them out and ask me what I am doing. I would like some advice on how to stop at least some of them, so in the case of any future relapses, I could use the same advice to stop it then too.

8,325 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100
Well i used to have 2 annoying tics:

Constantly squinting my eyes like I have something in them/they're too dry.

Constantly clearing my throat like I have something in it/it's scratchy/dry.

The way I dealt with them was to catch myself as I did it and try to stop myself. Took months of doing this but they're finally gone.

not the best advice but it's what i did.

Eloquent Lover

I can'tgive you god advice, I can only give you my bad advice.

I replaced my harmful tics with ones liked better. I've found that I can ignore the compulsion of a tic if I put my energy and attention into some other physical action. This can be what you are all ready doing, but of course, thats not very easy. More helpful is to develop a gesture or a focus activity you do when you feel your tics getting the better of you.

For me, my tics are paired with anxiety, so I put my attention into very delicate needlework when I am feeling anxious and ticing. This pushes out the thoughts from my brain and gives me a very palpable consequence for ticing. If I drop my needle for a second, it'll take me a while to pick it up. More frequently, I tap my fingers in very specific patterns. The speed with which i tap somewhat indicated the level of stressed I am, but it keeps me from more harmful tics.

I also gentle rub the places I want to tic. I hardly ever do my neck twitch any more, I put my hand on my neck and rub it, or just hold it. Sometimes I put my arm there or another object and slowly press down with my head. That way instead of feeling like my tic is controlling meand making me put my head down repeatedly, fast, its one slow deliberate decision to put my head down and hold it.

For tics in sensitive areas, it can be hard to interact with the tic area at all especially in public. I do think that developing comforting gestures to do to yourself, like rubbing your leg or holding yourself a specific way can alleviate the tic.

Like I said, I can't fix it. No one can.But thats how I manage it.

I was expecting this to be about bugs, and was going to suggest Raid. I guess that's Ticks. Oh well, we all make mistakes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff