Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Genius

So, I would like to start getting into running and be able to run a 5K. I don't know a reasonable amount of time that would take to accomplish, but it's a goal lol. I've never really been a good runner because as a child and throughout half my teenage years, my asthma kinda shut that down. But my asthma has been under control for a long time and I feel that I could handle it.

So for someone with no experience almost at all, tips?
do couch to 5k. mrgreen

Mega Gawker

7,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
How long do you have?

My advice is to start small and build yourself up.

The more you run, the easier it will be. I would start at one mile for the first few days and build your way up. Also, no tread mills, no tracks. You need to be cross country running.

Stretch your body before and after you run. Drink enough water so that your urine is clear.

Philosophizing Essence

36,525 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Bookworm 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I am starting to run too.
So, I can't tell the golden rule, but I can say what I have done so far.

First: I got sure I learnt how to strecth properly, eat healthy (if you don't eat properly, it can be a nuissance) and drink water when you are thirty, not other drinks! Not even those "gatorade" things.

Second: do time, not distance. At least, at the beggining. You need to build your lungs first (I had a difficult childhood with my lungs). If you want to run three days a week, the middle one is the day you do the cicle "I run faster until I get tired, I walk until I have air again, I run faster, I walk...". The other two days you try resistance.

A tip: always write down your progress. That encourages a lot. Ah, a cronometer is the best friend to do this, and run in places with fixed distances.

So. In a month I could run 2k without dying, and in "speed" I could do 1.5k in ~6min. I know, it is not that much, but you can improve with time and dedication.

PS: read a bit about other experiences. Not burnt yourself out. Rest well. REST WELL. If you want to improve, injures or exhaustations doesn't help.

Sorry my english.

Party Kitten

11,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
interval training is best for beginners. run until you cannot anymore, then walk until you feel like you can run more. don't try to go for long distances at first, just gradually increase the time that you can run for. also: don't try to increase your running time by a lot in a small amount of time. improving by even a minute longer per week is a accomplishment.

listen to your body. don't overdue it. and be sure to stretch & warm-up/cool-down! take small steps and you will see improvement.

don't forget to take rest days!

happy running!
Grab a bucket and a cat. Go on to the street. Dump bucket of water on to cat. Start running for your life.

Benevolent Fatcat

crystuls
interval training is best for beginners. run until you cannot anymore, then walk until you feel like you can run more. don't try to go for long distances at first, just gradually increase the time that you can run for. also: don't try to increase your running time by a lot in a small amount of time. improving by even a minute longer per week is a accomplishment.

listen to your body. don't overdue it. and be sure to stretch & warm-up/cool-down! take small steps and you will see improvement.

happy running!

^This is good advice. Intervals are really useful and can help build your strength as well as your lung capacity.

I started running seriously last year and I used something like this schedule to help me out. It's good to set a definite schedule for yourself, and it's easy to track progress that way too. Tell someone your plans, and be accountable to that person! That way you'll think twice before slacking off.

I'd also advise that you sign up for a real upcoming 5k race that will work with your schedule and pay the money NOW. If you sign up, you will be committed and you will have to take your training more seriously. If possible, tell some friends and get them to sign on with you as a team! If you want to try something more fun and less competitive, I'd recommend starting with a color run or something like that. Good luck!

Tipsy Genius

Enigmatic Phantasm
crystuls

happy running!

^This is good advice. Intervals are really useful and can help build your strength as well as your lung capacity.

I started running seriously last year and I used something like this schedule to help me out. It's good to set a definite schedule for yourself, and it's easy to track progress that way too. Tell someone your plans, and be accountable to that person! That way you'll think twice before slacking off.

I'd also advise that you sign up for a real upcoming 5k race that will work with your schedule and pay the money NOW. If you sign up, you will be committed and you will have to take your training more seriously. If possible, tell some friends and get them to sign on with you as a team! If you want to try something more fun and less competitive, I'd recommend starting with a color run or something like that. Good luck!

Thanks, those are all great advice!
I like the scheduling link you sent me, that is really helpful. Also, yeah, I was thinking of doing a colorun that's coming to my town in a few months which will push me to stay with it. Thanks~

Fashionable Millionaire

5,550 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
These people are writing paragraphs for you, jeez..
Anyways, for a beginner runner, I suggest you:
1) Don't land on your heel, you could really hurt yourself.
2) Drink water 30 minutes before going running.
3) Go run 3 hours after you're done eating. ex: I ate oatmeal at 10:30 AM, I'm going to run at 1:30 PM.
4) If you eat oily/greasy foods like pizza, go run 4 hours later than 3 because when it comes to those types of foods, they'll need more time to digest.
5) If you need to fart or burp while running, then fart or burp. Don't hesitate or else you'll get cramps.
6) Eat bananas because they're an excellent source of potassium. Potassium prevents cramps.
7) Breathe in through your nose, and out your nose (that's what I do). Don't worry if you think you'll enlarge your nostrils, they wont!
8.) I'd say stretch/warm up before running to prevent cramps. Though I NEVER stretch/warm-up, I never get cramps but some people do.
9) Don't walk too much after jogging.
10) Bring tissue paper with you because you'll get boogers (this only applies to winter season).

There's a lot more but for people who are experience in jogging, but we'll get to that once you're pro. c:

Fashionable Millionaire

5,550 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
By the way, each week, aim a bit higher.
Running takes mental and physical strength!
No this does not mean that you have to be smart..
This means you're going to have to set some goals and then slightly increase them, week by week.
If you set your mind at that, and believe you can do it, your body will be capable of doing it.
Trust me, I used to be really negative when I was forced to go run, turns out I liked it and I set some goals and believed I could accomplish them and I did.

TRUST ME I RAN THE LOS ANGELES MARATHON (2014)!

Interesting Consumer

2,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
One thing to remember is that if you injure yourself, let it heal before you start back. Lots of people get too eager to get back into whatever they do (boxing, sprinting, whatever it may be) while injured and take years off of their body's ability by going ahead and continuing while still injured.

Fashionable Millionaire

5,550 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
Oh, and avoid masturbation.
When you masturbate, you lose strength (protein).
This is why coaches tell their boxers "don't have sex or masturbate for tomorrows fight!".

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff