Welcome to Gaia! ::

Big Lunatic

So, I had a single wisdom tooth removed as of last Friday, and it wasn't so bad the first day considering my mouth was numb. But after that day, the pain was intense and I had to take the pain medicine I was prescribed by the dentist. I thought it would only last a day like the other one I had done (which was from the top, the one recently pulled was on the bottom right..) but it's still hurting now.
I thought it was a little odd that the dentist my mom took me to only wants to pull them out one at a time and they don't do surgery for it, they just numb your mouth and pull it out.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips to help me stop the pain or any advice to give me.

Dapper Codger

Ice cream. Or ice in general.
It helps soothe the irritation and it makes your mouth kind of numb. : )

Dapper Lunatic

I would put an ice pack up against the side of where the tooth was taken out and maybe continue taking the pain medication. Stick to soft foods like ice cream, jelly, mashed potatoes and soup s well. If it gets too bad though, have a talk to your dentist and see what they have to say. smile Hope you feel better.
Quote:
Try using an ice pack on the outside of your cheek for the first 24 hours. You can use moist heat—such as a washcloth soaked in warm water and wrung out—for the following 2 or 3 days.

Relax after surgery. Physical activity may increase bleeding.

Eat soft foods, such as gelatin, pudding, or a thin soup. Gradually add solid foods to your diet as healing progresses.

Do not use a straw for the first few days. Sucking on a straw can loosen the blood clot and delay healing.

After the first day, gently rinse your mouth with warm salt water several times a day to reduce swelling and relieve pain. You can make your own salt water by mixing 1 tsp (5 g) of salt in a medium-sized glass [8 fl oz (240 mL)] of warm water.

Do not smoke for at least 24 hours after your surgery. The sucking motion can loosen the clot and delay healing. Also, smoking decreases the blood supply and can bring germs and contaminants to the surgery area.

Avoid rubbing the area with your tongue or touching it with your fingers.

Continue to brush your teeth and tongue carefully.

Big Lunatic

Thank you all so much for your advice, I'll try using an ice pack and mouth rinsing. Thankfully the pain is dulling down a bit every day and I hope it will be gone by the end of this week. ^__^

Devoted Lovergirl

20,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Everything that everyone said is good advice. I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed at the same time years ago and I was under general anesthesia because all 4 teeth were impacted.

I also think it's odd that they are pulling them out one at a time, but if I say that, someone will say "Who are you to say that?" (that happened before when I thought it was weird that over-the-counter pain meds were recommended).

When your wisdom tooth was removed, was it simply pulled out or did they have to cut the tooth because it was impacted? If it was impacted, I understand how it was more painful.

People recover differently, so don't be alarmed if you're still having pain right now. If you still have pain days later, it may be a problem (like dry socket).

Dapper Gekko

3,550 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Bookworm 100
I got all 4 of mine pulled at once about 11 hours ago. All of mine were still under the gums so they put me under IV sedation.

What has works best for me is the prescribed pain killers, and I ice both sides for half an hour before leaving it off for an hour, and then icing it again. Repeat. It definitely helps to numb the pain. Reduces any swelling significantly, too. If what you were prescribed isn't strong enough, maybe ask about stronger pain killers, which I had to do after I got a wrist surgery a year ago. If pain persists for more than two weeks, then I'd maybe go see someone? Happened to my friend and it turns out he got an infection.

Good luck!
I had to have my wisdom tooth drilled in half before it would come out, so I experienced more pain than someone who just gets theirs yanked out

Tough luck buddy the pain is gonna last at least a week LOL

Was part of your gums removed when your tooth was taken out?

Also the stitches may cause minor irritation

Bleeding is normal but if it still continues contact the dentist

Big Lunatic

Dred_VS
I had to have my wisdom tooth drilled in half before it would come out, so I experienced more pain than someone who just gets theirs yanked out

Tough luck buddy the pain is gonna last at least a week LOL

Was part of your gums removed when your tooth was taken out?

Also the stitches may cause minor irritation

Bleeding is normal but if it still continues contact the dentist

I didn't get stitches xD It was bottom right recently. They didn't cut anything. They just numbed it and pulled it out.

Big Lunatic

TigerLilyChick
Everything that everyone said is good advice. I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed at the same time years ago and I was under general anesthesia because all 4 teeth were impacted.

I also think it's odd that they are pulling them out one at a time, but if I say that, someone will say "Who are you to say that?" (that happened before when I thought it was weird that over-the-counter pain meds were recommended).

When your wisdom tooth was removed, was it simply pulled out or did they have to cut the tooth because it was impacted? If it was impacted, I understand how it was more painful.

People recover differently, so don't be alarmed if you're still having pain right now. If you still have pain days later, it may be a problem (like dry socket).

They just pulled it out with dental tools. They didn't say anything about it being impacted, they just pulled it.
I also find it odd that they just pull one at a time but I guess they are a small clinic and have a lot of clients so it might have something to do with time.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff