Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lately the scale my weight has been increasing. I do realize its mainly from doing weights a lot in the past few months. I'm just confused on how much more Muscle mass can weigh more than fat itself.

A couple months bacK I was 169lbs now I am 180lbs.
I have doubts that it may all be muscle but I do know a good portion of it is.

Does anyone know the ratio? In lbs?

Witty Ladykiller

9,050 Points
  • Beta Voter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
I assume at least for a minimum you can assume 20 lbs of fat is going to be at least 20 lbs of muscle. ya know.. since 20 lbs = 20 lbs no matter the liquid, solid, or gas...

It's all about looks... if you feel like you're starting to bulge out more, then it's probably fat, but if you're getting more toned and simply weighing more, then it's probably muscle.
Muscle does weigh more than fat if you compare same-size portions. On average, the density of fat is 0.9 g/mL. The density of muscle is 1.1 g/mL. Using the averages, 1 liter of muscle weighs 1.06 kg, or 2.3 lbs., while 1 liter of fat weighs .9 kg, or 1.98 lbs.
Five pounds of muscle is smaller in mass than five pounds of fat. Regardless, five pounds of muscle equals five pounds of fat.

However, fat takes up more space on your body, and muscle is lean.

When you lift weights, you are tearing your muscles. As you rest, they rebuild and typically increase in size. You burn fat when you exercise, and basically all throughout the day in small amounts, so the muscle builds as the fat tissue shrinks or stays the same depending on your diet.

You do not lose a significant amount of weight if you lift. Cardio alone will burn fat and drop the number on the scale, but weight lifting simply adds muscle.

Divine Zealot

The problem is as mentioned above. A pound of feathers and a pound of rocks is still a pound. Measuring exactly how much mass you've gained in one or the other is incredibly difficult to do. On top of that, not all of our weight is just fat and muscle, either. We also have waste that hasn't been excreted, water weight from glycogen repletion from carbohydrate intake, and air from breathing, among dozens of other factors that can add up.

Largely, when people begin losing, or adding weight, water is the first to change. Give me 48 hours, and I can drop at least 10 lbs via fasting. At most, depending on my activity, 1.5 - 2 lbs of that will be fat. The rest of it is water being depleted as my body begins to burn through my glycogen stores to maintain brain glucose requirements. Actually, this is part of why low-carbing is so popular, because of the large weight loss seen in the beginning. Water weight.

That said, this also works in the reverse. Anyone who is doing some heavy exercising or trying to gain mass is going to eat more. A portion of this weight is going to be fat, but it is largely going to be water you put on during a bulking phase.

The point I'm trying to get across? Don't worry about it. There are so many things that influence weight to such varying degrees that you'll largely never get a straight answer. Too many things complicate it, such as diet, routine, calorie intake, carbohydrate consumption, metabolic health, etc....

No Results Found's Significant Otter

Vatali
Just compare pictures that you took a few months to the ones of yourself currently. If you see the improvement you're looking for then that's all that matters.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff