Welcome to Gaia! ::

D-Miss's Significant Otter

7,125 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Before anyone says anything, yes I have insurance, I'm waiting for the card to be mailed to me so I can make an appointment, but questions, for anyone who has experienced this, I had a root canal at 18-19 years old, which ended where I had a cap with screw, the cap and screw fell out when i was about 24 years old, I was about to get on a plane to come home so I couldn't bring the screw with me so I tossed it, I never had the chance to see a dentist after that but for one time, and she explained how the tooth needs to be taken out (it was obviously by that time, dead and rotting) but the costs for that and they need to put a replacement in so the top tooth had something to support it which that was gonna cost wayyy too much for me, so now here I am, not knowing when my card will come...so not knowing when the appintment can happen and the tooth feels weird, I have no nerve so no pain but it feels weird in the tooth section, and past 2 years I have had tons of sinus headaches, anyone know of any good bacteria killing methods I can use for now? salt and water would maybe help right? I have been feeling crappy the past few days... I really want this tooth out...
Try hot water or antibiotics?

8,425 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Market Browser 100
  • Dressed Up 200
HanaElric
Before anyone says anything, yes I have insurance, I'm waiting for the card to be mailed to me so I can make an appointment, but questions, for anyone who has experienced this, I had a root canal at 18-19 years old, which ended where I had a cap with screw, the cap and screw fell out when i was about 24 years old, I was about to get on a plane to come home so I couldn't bring the screw with me so I tossed it, I never had the chance to see a dentist after that but for one time, and she explained how the tooth needs to be taken out (it was obviously by that time, dead and rotting) but the costs for that and they need to put a replacement in so the top tooth had something to support it which that was gonna cost wayyy too much for me, so now here I am, not knowing when my card will come...so not knowing when the appintment can happen and the tooth feels weird, I have no nerve so no pain but it feels weird in the tooth section, and past 2 years I have had tons of sinus headaches, anyone know of any good bacteria killing methods I can use for now? salt and water would maybe help right? I have been feeling crappy the past few days... I really want this tooth out...

Hi there. I have a similar problem. Lost my dental insurance in 2013 and a couple fillings came out (I have teeth like fine china.) What I've been doing besides cleaning as much as possible is using a temporary dental filling. The ones I have used last up 3 weeks at times. You just have to make sure you don't eat until it's 100% solid. I found a brand at Dollar Tree that is also sold in Target for 3 times the price. So basically you can get a good amount of quality temp filling for super cheap.

As far as the pain goes, I use Kanka. I actually carry it around with me haha. It's a very strong mouth antiseptic. I think it's what the dentists use to numb the area they are going to inject with anesthesia. Anyway I use toothpicks and floss to clean out the area and add the Kanka. It does a great job at easing the pain. So does lots of ibuprofen,

Besides that I think you should look for some free clinics. A lot of Junior Colleges will give free or VERY cheap dental work. Some of them require you to be a student, but you can join an online class or something. Like learning Microsoft word or something easy and ridiculous. There are also low cost and emergency clinics that are similar. They'll give you a sensible payment plan or do it for free.

Hope that helps! I feel for you...toothpain sucks.

7,125 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conversationalist 100
MistressMadman
HanaElric

Hi there. I have a similar problem. Lost my dental insurance in 2013 and a couple fillings came out (I have teeth like fine china.) What I've been doing besides cleaning as much as possible is using a temporary dental filling. The ones I have used last up 3 weeks at times. You just have to make sure you don't eat until it's 100% solid. I found a brand at Dollar Tree that is also sold in Target for 3 times the price. So basically you can get a good amount of quality temp filling for super cheap.

As far as the pain goes, I use Kanka. I actually carry it around with me haha. It's a very strong mouth antiseptic. I think it's what the dentists use to numb the area they are going to inject with anesthesia. Anyway I use toothpicks and floss to clean out the area and add the Kanka. It does a great job at easing the pain. So does lots of ibuprofen,

Besides that I think you should look for some free clinics. A lot of Junior Colleges will give free or VERY cheap dental work. Some of them require you to be a student, but you can join an online class or something. Like learning Microsoft word or something easy and ridiculous. There are also low cost and emergency clinics that are similar. They'll give you a sensible payment plan or do it for free.

Paying to do an online class to get free dental work...I mind as well pay the dentist which is what I will have to do anyways hahaha. Well I can't do any of those fillings that are temp cause the tooth is practically gone now. Dead teeth don't stay pretty anymore =/. I did qualify for free insurance since I am still doing job apps and haven't landed a job, I was at first fine with just waiting till I land a job and then the insurance from the job kick in but then it started to make me feel worse so I went with the insurance for low to no income, so i can still care for myself till I land a job then i can just change it after that. I just can't wait till the letter to get to the house that i can use to make an appointment till the card gets here. I'm just happy the root canal took the nerve out, I can only imagine the pain I would be feeling, so far its only my head so asprin is what I am dealing with for now.

7,125 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Lady Kariel
Try hot water or antibiotics?

I tried gargling with warm water and salt since it kills bacteria, so figured it would help keep that a bit clean, only meds I have is asprin and I don't have the money right now to go out buying things. I hear adding vinegar to the salt and warm water kicks bacterias butt even more but taste wise...I would probably gag, salt and water..I try..

8,425 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Market Browser 100
  • Dressed Up 200
HanaElric
MistressMadman
HanaElric

Paying to do an online class to get free dental work...I mind as well pay the dentist which is what I will have to do anyways hahaha. Well I can't do any of those fillings that are temp cause the tooth is practically gone now. Dead teeth don't stay pretty anymore =/. I did qualify for free insurance since I am still doing job apps and haven't landed a job, I was at first fine with just waiting till I land a job and then the insurance from the job kick in but then it started to make me feel worse so I went with the insurance for low to no income, so i can still care for myself till I land a job then i can just change it after that. I just can't wait till the letter to get to the house that i can use to make an appointment till the card gets here. I'm just happy the root canal took the nerve out, I can only imagine the pain I would be feeling, so far its only my head so asprin is what I am dealing with for now.

I see your point, but it's really easy to get a fee waiver and pay nothing to register for a class. Some people even register and then drop the class after they get the work done. I can see if you don't want the hassle though. Hopefully you'll be able to do something about it soon.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff