8,925 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
XxRainflowerxX
Witchling Princess
Before I give my Opinion, I am going to say, I am Slytherin and Proud
Oh same with one of my friends smile

Witchling Princess
And I admit, without bias, that Hufflepuff is a good house. Loyal, helpful, and generally level headed, and make good servants. And, you guys have the least amount of baddies of any house. Whether or not that is a good thing, is up to debate.
Thanks for posting, but...I doubt the truthfulness of the majority of what you've just said.

Witchling Princess
Loyal, helpful,
Ah, not these again. My frustration isn't aimed at you, it's just at those stigmas in general. What makes you think hufflepuff house is loyal and helpful? Loyal I can sort of understand because that's what the sorting hat said about Hufflepuff in the very first book, but anything else, there's actually nothing - no characters, no quotes, in the books to support that. Give me one example in the HP series where a hufflepuff character was seen to be loyal? One example is all I need.

Same with helpful.

And give me examples of characters from all three other houses, that aren't /loyal/ or /helpful/ to establish through logic, that hufflepuff is the 'loyal' or 'helpful' house.

Witchling Princess
generally level headed
Since when was a hufflepuff shown as being 'level-headed'? And in what situations were tertiary characters (because the only hufflepuffs in the series are tertiary characters so it would be unfair to compare them to main characters who've obviously had a lot more development) from other houses shown to not to be level headed, to establish that Hufflepuffs are indeed more level headed than the rest?

Witchling Princess
and make good servants.
Haha razz This seems like a harmless statement in humour, but it is the nature of this thread to question everything so....what gives you the impression hufflepuffs make good servants? And you can't say 'helpful' or 'generally level headed' because you haven't proved those true as of now razz

Witchling Princess
least amount of baddies of any house
Again, what makes you believe that? I don't think there's actually enough mentions of dark witches/wizards from all houses in the book to safely say hufflepuff has the least. And I think that quote was actually from Ron somewhere in the first book when he was explaining the houses to Harry. He said that hufflepuff produced the least bad guys. To think about it - Ron would've probably heard it from one of his brothers or parents, who've heard it from someone else when they're younger (for they can't be possibly old enough to witness how Helga Hufflepuff made and lead her house) and although it may turn out to be true, or they had valid reasons for believing that, that in itself is not 'evidence' because Ron is not a trustworthy source when it comes to things 1000 years ago. Main point is - what makes you thin hufflepuff produced the least amount of bad characters?

Thanks for your honest opinion! smile

So, then... what is a Hufflepuff? You just shot down everything she said, but never mentioned what the actual traits of a Hufflepuff are. It seems this thread holds to sole purpose of you shutting down everything anyone says, even if it's positive. That's not how conversation works.

Dedicated Lunatic

17,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Over Easy 100
The Telekinetic Toad
XxRainflowerxX
Witchling Princess

Witchling Princess
And I admit, without bias, that Hufflepuff is a good house. Loyal, helpful, and generally level headed, and make good servants. And, you guys have the least amount of baddies of any house. Whether or not that is a good thing, is up to debate.
Thanks for posting, but...I doubt the truthfulness of the majority of what you've just said.

Witchling Princess
Loyal, helpful,
Ah, not these again. My frustration isn't aimed at you, it's just at those stigmas in general. What makes you think hufflepuff house is loyal and helpful? Loyal I can sort of understand because that's what the sorting hat said about Hufflepuff in the very first book, but anything else, there's actually nothing - no characters, no quotes, in the books to support that. Give me one example in the HP series where a hufflepuff character was seen to be loyal? One example is all I need.

Same with helpful.

And give me examples of characters from all three other houses, that aren't /loyal/ or /helpful/ to establish through logic, that hufflepuff is the 'loyal' or 'helpful' house.

Witchling Princess
generally level headed
Since when was a hufflepuff shown as being 'level-headed'? And in what situations were tertiary characters (because the only hufflepuffs in the series are tertiary characters so it would be unfair to compare them to main characters who've obviously had a lot more development) from other houses shown to not to be level headed, to establish that Hufflepuffs are indeed more level headed than the rest?

Witchling Princess
and make good servants.
Haha razz This seems like a harmless statement in humour, but it is the nature of this thread to question everything so....what gives you the impression hufflepuffs make good servants? And you can't say 'helpful' or 'generally level headed' because you haven't proved those true as of now razz

Witchling Princess
Again, what makes you believe that? I don't think there's actually enough mentions of dark witches/wizards from all houses in the book to safely say hufflepuff has the least. And I think that quote was actually from Ron somewhere in the first book when he was explaining the houses to Harry. He said that hufflepuff produced the least bad guys. To think about it - Ron would've probably heard it from one of his brothers or parents, who've heard it from someone else when they're younger (for they can't be possibly old enough to witness how Helga Hufflepuff made and lead her house) and although it may turn out to be true, or they had valid reasons for believing that, that in itself is not 'evidence' because Ron is not a trustworthy source when it comes to things 1000 years ago. Main point is - what makes you thin hufflepuff produced the least amount of bad characters?

So, then... what is a Hufflepuff? You just shot down everything she said, but never mentioned what the actual traits of a Hufflepuff are. It seems this thread holds to sole purpose of you shutting down everything anyone says, even if it's positive. That's not how conversation works.
True that. But you do agree my points are valid, right? There really is not much evidence on the traits of Hufflepuff from the books. I'd say taking the leftovers and being 'loyal' are the only things that I've heard of from the books. But Hufflepuff doesn't need to have actual traits to be a house. I'm sure that it does, but just because they're not evident in the book, doesn't mean they aren't one. I'm just trying to get rid of some of the things floating around about Hufflepuff that aren't true, and it just so happens there's not much said about it anyway.

Dapper Dabbler

8,925 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
XxRainflowerxX
The Telekinetic Toad
XxRainflowerxX
Witchling Princess

Witchling Princess

Witchling Princess
Loyal, helpful,

Same with helpful.

Witchling Princess
generally level headed

Witchling Princess
and make good servants.

Witchling Princess

True that. But you do agree my points are valid, right? There really is not much evidence on the traits of Hufflepuff from the books. I'd say taking the leftovers and being 'loyal' are the only things that I've heard of from the books. But Hufflepuff doesn't need to have actual traits to be a house. I'm sure that it does, but just because they're not evident in the book, doesn't mean they aren't one. I'm just trying to get rid of some of the things floating around about Hufflepuff that aren't true, and it just so happens there's not much said about it anyway.

Actually, I don't know enough about the traits of Harry Potter houses to say whether you are right or not. But I can google it.
And the sources I looked though definitely agreed with the things other people in this topic have said. The harry potter wiki and the pottermore wiki say Hufflepuffs are loyal, caring, hardworking, modest, and impartial. Another website that analyzes the Pottermore site says they are friendly and group-oriented, love people and animals, and prefer to avoid discomfort.

I can't say for sure that there's any evidence behind these sites' claims, but I think Pottermore got extensive collaboration from J.K.Rowling herself, didn't they? She provided a lot of information about many things not expressed in the book, including extensive backstories for the Dursleys as I recall. Since the Sorting at the beginning of Pottermore is so elaborate and uncheatable, I'd say the information on the internet probably has a good basis behind it.
And even if the books didn't actually state "these are the traits of a Hufflepuff", you can still analyze the books and see how Hufflepuff characters like Cedric Diggory generally act and how people act towards them.
Also, as for the part where the books mention that Helga Hufflepuff took in the rest of the students that didn't fit into any other house, one site mentions that she herself was showing the traits of a Hufflepuff; caring and compassion, protectiveness and loyalty. It makes sense that she would build her House on these traits, regardless of what students she actually accepted into it.

In any case, I disagree that your attitude of dismissal of Hufflepuff traits is a positive one. It seems self-deprecating to me. And I'm sure you're not trying to, but what you've said in this topic seems deprecating to others.

I'm sure your intentions were good though. I'd like to your honest and organized thoughts on what you feel a Hufflepuff actually is, if you disagree with my statements above.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff