Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,050 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I went from hating it without reading it at first because kids I knew were pretending to cast spells by mixing dirt and leaves and broken twigs and insects in a bowl. (LOL!) To finally reading it and thinking it was awfully huge print - definately for kids. To enjoying it a little when I saw the movie and trying to read the book (I am normally a bookworm). Until finally I am back to being extremely and terribly annoyed because the author seems to be killing off all of the most loved characters. Really awful. Like a horror series for gradeschoolers or some rot.
Oh ********, you gave an opinion on Harry Potter that isn't 'OMG IT'S AMAZING.'

Brace for shitstorm and numerous shouts of troll from immature people who don't know what a troll is.

Tipsy Goat

★☆★ User Image User Image User Image ★☆★

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

════════════════

Sounds like it's not your cup of tea.

════════════════

"Mischief managed."

Clean Genius

You sound like you may have been a little older when the series first came out then? It's okay not to like it, but it's cool you kept coming back to try it out when some of it appealed to you.

It is hard that she killed off the characters, but the series is more "young adult" than for "children" as the main themes reflect this. It was stressful to me too, especially in the 5th book when we get our first major character death, to face this at the young age of 15. But at the same time, I think Rowling was really trying to shine through that people can always be their best and fight for what is right, even when they are emotionally, physically, and mentally at their worst.

I hope you keep with the series and enjoy reading/watching the rest, but if not...it's cool you tried!

6,050 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Mayor Pikapikachu
Oh ********, you gave an opinion on Harry Potter that isn't 'OMG IT'S AMAZING.'

Brace for shitstorm and numerous shouts of troll from immature people who don't know what a troll is.

Yeah, it's in fashion to attack anyone who doesn't agree with you, isn't it? People have all dropped to about a second grade level of intelligence. I totally agree with you.

6,050 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
ShinHaeMoon
You sound like you may have been a little older when the series first came out then? It's okay not to like it, but it's cool you kept coming back to try it out when some of it appealed to you.

It is hard that she killed off the characters, but the series is more "young adult" than for "children" as the main themes reflect this. It was stressful to me too, especially in the 5th book when we get our first major character death, to face this at the young age of 15. But at the same time, I think Rowling was really trying to shine through that people can always be their best and fight for what is right, even when they are emotionally, physically, and mentally at their worst.

I hope you keep with the series and enjoy reading/watching the rest, but if not...it's cool you tried!

A smaller font and some more mature artistry would lend to your theory better, I'm afraid. Huge print is for children. Cartoony artistry on the cover and et al makes one think the themes will fit in with the same. If it was designed for youth, then why were it's most adoring fans between the 4th and 6th grades in Elementary School? I've heard this argument before and I am still not convinced.

6,050 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
A Special Illusion
★☆★ User Image User Image User Image ★☆★

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

════════════════

Sounds like it's not your cup of tea.

════════════════

"Mischief managed."

No, you're right. I prefer to have no leaves in the bottom of my tea cup after drinking it.

Skilled Businessman

5,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Generous 100
Aloc Acoc Goblin
ShinHaeMoon

A smaller font and some more mature artistry would lend to your theory better, I'm afraid. Huge print is for children. Cartoony artistry on the cover and et al makes one think the themes will fit in with the same. If it was designed for youth, then why were it's most adoring fans between the 4th and 6th grades in Elementary School? I've heard this argument before and I am still not convinced.

Here, have a look at these images.

Adult edition of Harry Potter:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

No cartoon artistry on these covers, as far as I can see. As for the huge print... Are you saying that people with an eye sight disability are actually immature children? It can be nice for people with an eye disease like glaucoma to be able to read without having to use a magnifier. stare It's not because they prefer larger print that they are immature. Large print is not just for children, duh.

Witty Rabbit

19,525 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I agree on the deaths
though I suppose it is more realistic with main characters that die and not just random people we don't care about
(I preferred hedwigs death in the movie over the one in the book)

6,050 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
OlivierDeSillegue
Aloc Acoc Goblin
ShinHaeMoon

No cartoon artistry on these covers, as far as I can see. As for the huge print... Are you saying that people with an eye sight disability are actually immature children? It can be nice for people with an eye disease like glaucoma to be able to read without having to use a magnifier. stare It's not because they prefer larger print that they are immature. Large print is not just for children, duh.

Ridiculous, your claims. If there is an adult edition - which Gaia wouldn't let you post - they aren't by Rowling, but somebody else. I work in Notary Sales. There was only one format in the 90s when these books came out and they were definately geared to Elementary School students. They were even marketed in the Scholastic Reader, which I still have a copy of out of pure chance. It got randomly shuffled into a file with academic records in it and because it's humorous I left it there.

Witty Rabbit

19,525 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Aloc Acoc Goblin
OlivierDeSillegue
Aloc Acoc Goblin
ShinHaeMoon

Ridiculous, your claims. If there is an adult edition - which Gaia wouldn't let you post - they aren't by Rowling, but somebody else. I work in Notary Sales. There was only one format in the 90s when these books came out and they were definately geared to Elementary School students. They were even marketed in the Scholastic Reader, which I still have a copy of out of pure chance. It got randomly shuffled into a file with academic records in it and because it's humorous I left it there.

well, as the series goes on the books get darker and less aimed at kids

6,050 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Wabbet
Aloc Acoc Goblin
OlivierDeSillegue
Aloc Acoc Goblin
ShinHaeMoon

Ahhh, finally, someone has recognized this.

Witty Rabbit

19,525 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Aloc Acoc Goblin
Wabbet

Ahhh, finally, someone has recognized this.

Also the first few chapters in the first book are really boring

I wouldn't say the last books in the series were kids books though

Skilled Businessman

5,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Generous 100
Aloc Acoc Goblin

The books have the same content, I did not say there was an X rated version of Harry Potter! stressed

You were reproaching them to have a childish cover and written in a too large print to be taken seriously. Well, I'm showing you that J.K. Rowling had the foresight to make available two editions of the same books. One is all colourful and pretty and intended for the younger audience, and the other has a more sober appearance and a smaller print.

Take your mind out of the gutter and don't give a meaning to my words that isn't there, thank you very much.

Kittenclysm's Datemate

Sparkly Autobiographer

15,150 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Canny Agent 50
  • Bookworm 100
OlivierDeSillegue
Aloc Acoc Goblin
ShinHaeMoon

O wow, I love those covers. *swoon* On my christmas list now, since my collection has wandered off and been scattered because of moving. So beautiful

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff