Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Since the Glee forum opened up, there have been a few posts by people saying they hate Glee, but none of them said why. I personally love Glee, but I want to see why other people don't like it. I'm not going to yell at you or bash you or anything. I know not everyone is into musicals. I want this to be an intelligent discussion. Do you think the characters are too stereotypical? Is the show not very believable? Are the characters too annoying/unlikable?

Oh, and if you come to give your reasons why you hate Glee, if you never saw the show and are only judging by commercials and the like, don't bother posting. I thought Glee was going to be horrible, but I gave it a chance and fell in love with the show right away. My English teacher, who also teaches the film criticism class, said the same thing and loves the show.
I like Glee as a whole, but there are certain aspects that will make me turn off the TV every time. Lea's character, Rachel, for instance. She acts like a bratty know it all.
The whole Puck/Finn/Quinn thing confused me.
Will's wife is an unbelievable character, as is Sue Sylvester.
Stereotypes are pushed too hard for laughs; I hope in the next segment the characters open up a bit.

Overall, the show tries too hard, in my opinion. No self respecting glee club would ever sing "Gold Digger."

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Lightspeed to Endor
I like Glee as a whole, but there are certain aspects that will make me turn off the TV every time. Lea's character, Rachel, for instance. She acts like a bratty know it all.
Stereotypes are pushed too hard for laughs; I hope in the next segment the characters open up a bit.

Overall, the show tries too hard, in my opinion. No self respecting glee club would ever sing "Gold Digger."

Yes, those answers make sense. I agree about Will's wife, she is probably the least likable character in the show, she has no redeeming qualities. Granted, unlikable characters can be funny (like Uncle Ruckus in The Boondocks) but I'll be glad when Terri is gone. Regarding character development, they've been doing pretty well on that for some characters, in my opinion, but Tina, Artie, and Mercedes haven't had much to them.

Although, I think they were singing Gold Digger just for fun, they wanted better songs.
I think part of the fun in Glee is how unbelievable the characters/situations are. If they wanted to be realistic in the least, they might've shown practices where they're stumbling over words, messing up, things like that. But instead they just go out and sing and, lo and behold, it's always 100% perfect. But that doesn't necessarily sell a show.

But that's also a reason that turns people off a lot from the show. The crazy over-the-topness can be really grating, along with the frustrating characters and relationships. I kinda like it for these reasons, but I adore it for the music and the glee club singing. And I agree about the character development--they need a lot more of it for some characters.

7,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
While I love Glee, there are negative aspects of it that I just can't ignore. The first is Terri, good lord, that fake pregnancy thing was so stupid. Next, some over the top moments and WAY too many people wanting to jump Finn's bones. But the most annoying aspect is how Rachel is at the forefront of EVERYTHING! Kurt, Mercedes, and Tina, three of my favourite characters are usually relegated to background with few solos, with Kurt only having a solo on CD, with it mixed with Rachel's on the show (I'm not counting his audition with Mr. Cellophane.) Rachel is an overused brat and that annoys me.
    I think people hate on us 'cause they think we're too stereotypical. But that's not true-- I might be big, black, and beautiful, but I'm a whole lot more than that. I hope they realize that soon.

((The back 9 and the next season are supposed to really develop the characters, so I think that should help negate a lot of people's hate. I mean, I've heard even Terri is going to seem more sane! People just shouldn't judge too hard until the first season is done with, imho.))

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Fwilion
I think part of the fun in Glee is how unbelievable the characters/situations are. If they wanted to be realistic in the least, they might've shown practices where they're stumbling over words, messing up, things like that. But instead they just go out and sing and, lo and behold, it's always 100% perfect. But that doesn't necessarily sell a show.

But that's also a reason that turns people off a lot from the show. The crazy over-the-topness can be really grating, along with the frustrating characters and relationships. I kinda like it for these reasons, but I adore it for the music and the glee club singing. And I agree about the character development--they need a lot more of it for some characters.

Yes, to be fair, it is a musical and pretty much all musicals are over-the-top. rofl Though I guess musicals are not everyone's thing.

To Mercecles Jones: Yeah, I think the reason other characters haven't gotten much screentime is because there's a lot of focus on Quinn's baby drama. Now that the real father has been revealed, that will likely die down a bit, and now that Rachel doesn't have to chase after Finn more focus will probably be placed on other characters. There's a large main cast so they have to go into their backstories eventually, you can only have so much Rachel/Finn/Quinn before it starts to get dull.

Tipsy Exhibitionist

Lightspeed to Endor
No self respecting glee club would ever sing "Gold Digger."

You just summed up everything that's wrong with Glee Clubs in real life.
Lightspeed to Endor

Yeah, but they did an amazing rendition of Gold Digger, do you not agree?
User Image
            i love Glee, i just hate how everyone is overshadowed by rachel.
            srsly, when will we get to hear brittany and santana sing?
            plus, there's still brittana to look out for. wink

@joicy: :O gay? how is it gay?
Joicy_Machado
i hate glee its a gay show they suck at singing!!!!
- -☂- -

I don't see how it's gay. (:

And I hate to bite back at you, but IMHO they're very talented singers.

There were only two faults that I found with Glee.

The first was Rachel.. Her personality and demeanour just generally got on my nerves. I know there are people like her out there, and to some extent they were just exaggerating a popular stereotype.. but that didn't make her any easier to watch for me.

The second was the Puck/Quinn/Finn storyline. I'm sorry, but at Finn's age, would you really believe you can get pregnant from a hot tub? It's ludicrous, and annoyed me.. especially given that Finn was portrayed as a fairly intelligent, level-headed guy.
- -☂- -

Go ahead, hate it all you want. (:

Although it's not going to change my perspective at all, why do you think it's gay?
You didn't answer my question.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces