Welcome to Gaia! ::

SFRN_Sylvia's Significant Otter

Shirtless Lunatic

13,250 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Pet Lover 100
I get that Gaia needs goldsinks, and badly. I was looking at the Alchemy stuff, since I haven't really done so yet. So, I have everything I need for this one thing.. Except a Toggle. So, the first thing I wonder.. Where the hell do I get one? Whatever. Check the MP.. It's like, 50k or something. About 40. I'm looking.. And I just keep asking myself what the point is. I get that they seem to make interesting items, but it seems like you need to jump through hoops to actually get the item. It seems like another one of those keep the rich people richer type things, since you need like, 20 of one item. And, of course, there's also like, 1-10k charge to craft it. I'm just wondering, since it seems like if you want to level it at all, you need to pay insane prices. It's a sweet concept and all.. But what? o_o

Dangerous Dabbler

Syesta
I get that Gaia needs goldsinks, and badly. I was looking at the Alchemy stuff, since I haven't really done so yet. So, I have everything I need for this one thing.. Except a Toggle. So, the first thing I wonder.. Where the hell do I get one? Whatever. Check the MP.. It's like, 50k or something. About 40. I'm looking.. And I just keep asking myself what the point is. I get that they seem to make interesting items, but it seems like you need to jump through hoops to actually get the item. It seems like another one of those keep the rich people richer type things, since you need like, 20 of one item. And, of course, there's also like, 1-10k charge to craft it. I'm just wondering, since it seems like if you want to level it at all, you need to pay insane prices. It's a sweet concept and all.. But what? o_o

Actually, Alchemy is great for making rich people poor. xp Unless you're crafting something really rare, like maybe the first one ever, the components + formula + crafting usually cost more than what you're selling it for. I'm currently trying to sell a "Amethyst Silver Princess Tiara" for 750K. Sounds like I'll be rich, right? Except that formula needed 3 Electrum at 250K to 300K apiece, plus 50K for the gold version of the tiara, plus however much I spent for 50 zOMG "silver", plus 60K to craft, and, oh yes, 700 gold for the formula, lol! So that at least was cheap. But you see I'm not even breaking even? And if you pick the wrong formulas, or if you really really want to make a certain particular item, you can find you need components that cost 400K to over a million, just themselves.

But... it's kinda fun. I like doing the planning for how to advance while losing as little as possible, weighing each formula against another for how likely they'll be to craft, watching the marketplace and trying to buy as low as possible, etc., etc. I've been on Gaia since 2003. This is the most complex game they've given me.

Invisible Hunter

9,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
Syesta

Technically, Gaia doesn't actually need Goldsinks.. We have Bidblast now, which takes multimillions out of the economy. Any type of goldsink, however, is never going to be enough to undo the damage Alchemy has wrought upon the marketplace. Its not just a goldsink, hun, its an item sink as well. Which is actually a bad thing, considering many common items have skyrocketed in price and they've yet to be re-produced so they don't end up extinct. Some are afraid to sell their rares because the item might suddenly be pushed to the brink of extinction.

Personally, I'm leveling in Alchemy because I like part of the challenge presented in it. 3nodding It has been months, though, and the rarity has barely changed at all...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff