Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Dabbler

Alchemy 1-2-3 (and Others!)

The hardest part of Alchemy is starting out. This Guide is strictly for Alchemists of Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3, to get you past these starting stages.

Dangerous Dabbler

Level 0: What the Hell -IS- Alchemy?

Historical "alchemy" was the precursor to "chemistry". It was the idea that if you combined substances in a particular way that you might get something else. Originally they thought it was tied to astrology (you had to do it at particular phases of the moon or under certain stars) or magic (you had to do it with particular incantations) and they often threw in stuff that didn't really affect the result but sounded good. The things they were trying to make were often impossible, like the "philosopher's stone" that would turn lead to gold, or the "elixir of life" that would give everlasting life. But they did discover very real chemical reactions along the way.

"Alchemy" on Gaia is a recipe. You buy/get the formula and it has a list of components that you gather and then you put in a crafting cost of extra gold and you hit the "craft formula" button (if you're high enough level to craft it) and hope it works.

If it doesn't work: you lose the crafting cost but not the formula or components, so you can try again.

If it does work: you get the item but lose everything else including the formula, so to make another one you have to start from scratch.

If you compare the cost of formula, components, and crafting to the cost of the finished item on the marketplace, you'll see Alchemy isn't always the best deal. But you'll also get experience points for crafting formulas and that raises your alchemy level so you can then craft higher level formulas that might be rarer items.

To get started in Alchemy:

Click on the "Craft Formulas" button at The Bifrost or the dropdown Alchemy link from "Shops" on the menu bar.

Congratulations! You are now a Level 1 Alchemist with 0 XP!

Dangerous Dabbler

Level 1

To get through Level 1: 10 XP needed

XP Needed:

Every level of Alchemy has a certain number of XP you need to finish it. The number of XP doubles each level. So Level 1 needs 10 XP, Level 2 needs 20 XP, Level 3 needs 40 XP, etc., which sounds really bad. The good news is that the XP you get from formulas also doubles each level: you get 1 XP for level 1 formulas, 2 XP for level 2 formulas, 4 XP for level 3 formulas, etc. This means:

No matter what level, you need 10 formulas of that level to finish it.

You can also use formulas of ONE level lower. But since there are no Level 0 formulas, we'll talk more about that later.

Your First XP:

(1) Read the Gaia Alchemy FAQ sticky at the top of the forum.

(2) Click the first link to get your Alchemy Starter Kit. Go to your inventory and open the Kit to get the formula and all but one component.

(3) Go to the "Craft Formulas" link off the Bifrost Shop. You'll see a tab that says "Incomplete". Click on that tab and you'll see your Aspiring Alchemist formula.

Complete that.
Congratulations! You now have 1 experience point in Alchemy!

Level 2

To get From Level 1 to Level 2: 10 xp needed

Level 1 Formula each give 1 xp.

Cimeara
I can't remember the exact combination, but I used mostly Orb Aggregate and Golden Magical Giftbox.. I didn't use Aspiring Alchemist because I didn't find out about it till later.

Dangerous Dabbler

Level 3

To get From Level 2 to Level 3: 20 xp needed

Level 1 Formula each give 1 xp.
Level 2 Formula each give 2 xp.

Cimeara
I used lots of level 1 Orb Aggregate, Golden Magical Giftbox., and Philosopher's Cache, and one level 2 P3 Gear.

Dangerous Dabbler

Level 4

To get From Level 3 to Level 4: 40 xp needed

Level 1 Formula no longer give xp.
Level 2 Formula each give 1 xp.
Level 3 Formula each give 4 xp.

Cimeara
I used only level 3: two Fausto's Bottle, four Sundae's Treat, four Fondue the Chocolate Bunny.

Dangerous Dabbler

Level 5

To get From Level 4 to Level 5: 80 xp needed

Level 1 (and 2?) Formula no longer give xp.
Level 3 Formula each give 4? xp.
Level 4 Formula each give 8 xp.

Cimeara
I used only level 4: four Black Neko Cosplay, four Captain Ara's Nestegg, one Sibyl's Incantation, and one Winter Dancer, .

Dangerous Dabbler

Dangerous Dabbler

Dangerous Dabbler

Dangerous Dabbler

Dangerous Dabbler

Dangerous Dabbler

[reserved]

Dangerous Dabbler

[reserved]

Dangerous Dabbler

[reserved]

Dangerous Dabbler