Welcome to Gaia! ::

Yeah, this is just for a story; it doesn't really matter. But I'm obsessive. whee

I found the name "Jeimi" in a list of Japanese names, and gave it to a main character in a story I'm writing. It was after that I decided to make him native Japanese instead of Japanese American.

Jeimi seems to be just the Japanese spelling of an English name. And I read that "mi" is used in the end of girls' names; it means "beautiful".

Would modern-day, non-English-speaking Japanese parents actually name their son Jeimi? Or is there a Japanese name that Jeimi could possibly be a nickname for? Jeimi could be an Americanized version that he took on. (I liked Hajime, but that sounds more like Jimmy, doesn't it?)

It's a bit too late to change his name, and I don't want to, but my other foreign characters have authentic names...

(It'd be nice if someone who's actually Japanese would answer this. 3nodding )

5,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
well, i'm not really japanese, i'm actually hmong. anyways, i'm taking japanese class and from what i learned about japanese names is that some japanese or japanese-american parents would actually give thier son a name like that or it can also just be a nickname depending on how you look at it.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
I am not Japanese, but I am a foreigner who lives in Japan and hears a looot of Japanese names. Mi, with the kanji for beautiful seems much, much more common for women than men. I have met women named Kazumi, Hiromi, etc etc but only a few guys with mi in their name ... and it sounds pretty feminine to me.

Mi can also be written with the kanji for three, which might work better.

Some Japanese parents do make up names for their children in accordance to their own preferences. One of my coworkers, who is foreign is married to a Japanese woman. Their children are Oaks and Maple. I have no idea what the kanji are or if they will ever choose any.

Some of my students will choose Westernized nicknames. Kennichi might be Ken, for example, or Juichiro might be Jay. If your character is living in the US they might choose a name that is easier to pronounce for their foreign friends. When I was in school I had a classmate named Duong. We called him Peter.
terradi
If your character is living in the US they might choose a name that is easier to pronounce for their foreign friends. When I was in school I had a classmate named Duong. We called him Peter.

Lol, reminded me of my Korean friends.

Can't remember their complicated names, but I remember the nickname of two guys.

One was "Dragon." Yes, DRAGON was his name.

The other? "OK!!" (Pronouced "Awk!" wink
I suppose it depends on the people naming their kids...
I am a Japanese(I am not one of those wanna be japanese folks,I am pure japanese).
That is a negative.
there are kanji for mi that can be used for boys. like Katsumi is very common.
for boys the beautiful mi is not often used.
recently there are more and more non japanese names give to childlen. there are also strange parents D:
Taichi kun
I am a Japanese(I am not one of those wanna be japanese folks,I am pure japanese).
haha me too^^
thats all i wanted to say, bye biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas