Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I'm looking to get a tattoo. What I want is the kanji for "the good in all". I went to a translator website and it spat out:

すべての良い

Can anyone tell me if that's accurate? And if not does anyone know the correct characters for what I want?

Thank you.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Translators are never accurate. It's best if you ask someone who is either Japanese or someone who is fluent in the Japanese language.
1LitreofTears_Sakura
Translators are never accurate. It's best if you ask someone who is either Japanese or someone who is fluent in the Japanese language.
Haha, yeah. That's why I'm asking here. I figure there's a lot of people who speak Japanese on Gaia.
I imagine there are more ways to say it than just one; and you shouldn't expect an exact verbatim translation.

What I came up with was 「万事の善」 or "banji no zen", "the goodness of all things".
PAnZuRiEL
I imagine there are more ways to say it than just one; and you shouldn't expect an exact verbatim translation.

What I came up with was 「万事の善」 or "banji no zen", "the goodness of all things".
I thought there might be more than one way to say it. I don't even know how the language and grammar works. Thanks, your post has been helpful.
Okay, so since PAnZuRiEL brought to my attention that there are probably multiple ways to say what I want, I decided to go for a more general word.

Can anyone confirm for me that this means "good", as in goodness or kindness:

良い
Trapped in Toyland
Okay, so since PAnZuRiEL brought to my attention that there are probably multiple ways to say what I want, I decided to go for a more general word.

良い

良い = good, kind, cool
親切 = kindness
Half-Eaten Crayons
Trapped in Toyland

良い

良い = good, kind, cool
親切 = kindness
Okay, thank you. I was also told that if you take the i off of it and make it 良, it becomes the noun form of the word "good" as opposed to the adjective?

Friendly Fairy

Trapped in Toyland
Half-Eaten Crayons
Trapped in Toyland

良い

良い = good, kind, cool
親切 = kindness
Okay, thank you. I was also told that if you take the i off of it and make it 良, it becomes the noun form of the word "good" as opposed to the adjective?

Hmmm I dunno, it still seems kinda weird to me to have the "everyday word" 良 as a tattoo - this word is so commonly used in Japanese that it has lost some of its potency as a picturesque/symbolic word (which is usually what I guess people are looking for when they choose to get a kanji tattoo). People use this word even to mean "ok" or "fine", like "I'm fine with going to the movies tonight"... it feels too mundane. Someone else in this topic recommended a phrase with the character 善 (zen) in it, which I also would recommend. It holds more of the meaning I think you are seeking. Just this character alone is sufficient; its meaning (good; goodness; right; virtue) can be understood without any additional letters/kanji. Hope this helps!
すべての良い

It says subete no yoi

"Subete" means the entirety of something, or all of something. "No" is a particle that shows possessiveness. Yoi is a conjugation of the word ii (いい) which means good.

This almost literally means "the good of all," or "All's good."

Hope I helped some. xd
Kazydi
すべての良い

It says subete no yoi

"Subete" means the entirety of something, or all of something. "No" is a particle that shows possessiveness. Yoi is a conjugation of the word ii (いい) which means good.

This almost literally means "the good of all," or "All's good."

Hope I helped some. xd
No, it means "all of the good"; however, 良い is in the wrong form here and the sentence is a nonsensical fragment.

良い and 善 do not mean the same thing and are not interchangeable. Aside from that 良い is an adjective and 善 is a noun, the former means good as in "fortunate, sufficient, nice, beneficial" and the latter means good as in "benevolence, virtue, righteousness".

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff