Welcome to Gaia! ::

Barton Cleric

20,375 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Medalist 100
Valkines Cryas
Yea, don't get your hopes up about that spew of having the services put on the site.

Look, I love Gaia just as much as the next person but I cannot be a white knight and say that these people are good at giving us features we ask for in a timely manner.

We won't see these features here on Gaia for another year at the earliest unless they've already been working on them and had this whole shut down tektek thing planned out.

So, yea. Don't hold your breath unless you have a death wish, ya feel me.

tab From the sounds of it, no, they haven't started planning yet. I'm assuming when and if tektek does go down on the 24th, they'll begin planning then. I have no idea how much work went into tektek and all of the services it provided, but I'm assuming it was a lot, so if I want Gaia to also give us these services and have them be up to par - I'd give them some time. I agree that it'll probably be at least a year, maybe shorter if they have one team dedicated to it. 3nodding I'm sure Gaia wasn't expecting Tekton to just up and quit without negotiating either. sweatdrop

PoteauCedar's Husband

Dangerous Lunatic

6,475 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Brandisher 100
  • Cash Grabber 500
I find it funny that Gaia wants to talk about censorship, but then they go and send tektek a C&D over their use of Gaia items. Really? So all these items based on anime, video games, and cartoons that aren't supported by the official creators are fine, but it's not ok for someone to showcase your items so we can easily find things we want to aim for. It's only ok when Gaia are the ones doing the censoring, gotcha. This site is on the decline, and it has been for a while. I think this is a sign for me to jump ship.

Fashionable Guildswoman

25,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Brilliant Light 450
Well at least Gaia is listening to those who would want to see a dream avi maker and account worth calculator on Gaia.
I don't really get why people are so butthurt over TekTek, they didn't have accurate layering so if you created an avi there is no promises of it actually being compatible item wise here.
I don't know how many times I've created some really awesome avi only to quest the items and it not be compatible. stare
That and the calculator on TekTek wasn't accurate at all.
Plus TekTek refused to make any effort with adding new items.
Sure it would have been impossible to add them all at once, but I don't see what was keeping them from doing weekly or monthly updates.

Basically TekTek was faulty as all get out, it was more of a pain than helpful.
Time to stop complaining over a broken fan site.

Melkorl's Bride

Toxic Wife

Nenanah
Well at least Gaia is listening to those who would want to see a dream avi maker and account worth calculator on Gaia.
I don't really get why people are so butthurt over TekTek, they didn't have accurate layering so if you created an avi there is no promises of it actually being compatible item wise here.
I don't know how many times I've created some really awesome avi only to quest the items and it not be compatible. stare
That and the calculator on TekTek wasn't accurate at all.
Plus TekTek refused to make any effort with adding new items.
Sure it would have been impossible to add them all at once, but I don't see what was keeping them from doing weekly or monthly updates.

Basically TekTek was faulty as all get out, it was more of a pain than helpful.
Time to stop complaining over a broken fan site.

TekTek was good for those who knew how to take advantage of it, lol.
I hardly felt any pain... or perhaps I'm a masochist?

Gaia's pretty great at updating when it's about their lovely cash shops and they will probably find a way to make money with the dream avi maker too... cat_mrgreen

Angelic Blob

I guess Tekton was as fed up about new management as others have been. Such a shame. If anything he should pass the site to someone who wouldn't mind maintaining it.

In a relationship with a fleshlight

Ladykiller

zealot neo
The Belletrist

Yep. If Gaia gave us what Tektek did, I wouldn't be bitching so loudly.
But they aren't. They won't. And they're not letting someone else give
us fun toys either. Like a bully on the playground.

couldn't gaia just tektek and run it?
I mean that's how big company always buy out the smaller ones

Tekton has to give it up first. I have not seen any indication that he wants that.

Impassioned Misfit

Bluealris answered my question about it on the second to last page of the ATS for the record.

6,850 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Contributor 150
I loved planning out my avatars with Tektek, and now I am very sad. Tektek was actually an inspiration for me to use this site because I was able to spend my gold wisely instead of trying to figure it out all in my head of what I want my avatar to look like. That is just me, and I hope Gaia will figure out a similar system of planning avatars and showcasing it.

Edgy Lunatic

15,700 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Elocutionist 200
Vengeful Onyx Fox

Although to be honest, the other site is pretty cool. Probably going to stop coming on Gaia to go there now that zOMG is gone. No inflation or greediness on the owners' part! Sorry Gaia you still hold a nostalgic part of my heart and it's a shame to see you go in this direction...

I agree. I haven't been online for a few months and the inflation skyrocketed like mad! D:

Timid Smoker

Eurisama
Vengeful Onyx Fox

Although to be honest, the other site is pretty cool. Probably going to stop coming on Gaia to go there now that zOMG is gone. No inflation or greediness on the owners' part! Sorry Gaia you still hold a nostalgic part of my heart and it's a shame to see you go in this direction...

I agree. I haven't been online for a few months and the inflation skyrocketed like mad! D:

Isn't it ridiculous? I remember back in the good ol days when items were worth mere thousands and having millions was considered rich. I still look at the market place and I'm like --& eek not to mention pretty much every item release they have done recently has been for cash shop items rolleyes we aren't all rich in rl, Gaia (or spend real money on aesthetically pleasing pixels... but that's neither here nor there)

Space Traveler

12,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Karmerruk
I find it funny that Gaia wants to talk about censorship, but then they go and send tektek a C&D over their use of Gaia items. Really? So all these items based on anime, video games, and cartoons that aren't supported by the official creators are fine, but it's not ok for someone to showcase your items so we can easily find things we want to aim for. It's only ok when Gaia are the ones doing the censoring, gotcha. This site is on the decline, and it has been for a while. I think this is a sign for me to jump ship.
Just wanted to mention that Gaia has received requests to remove items due to IP infringements, and they have removed items before in order to comply and work it out with people.

Vampiric Seraph

60,975 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Full Selection 200
Lol, tektek was one of the reasons why I would get new items for my avi and keep gaiaonline running like many other people.

Gaia is shooting its own leg. Unless they bring a tool just like tektek to gaiaonline.com, which I'm sure, they wont.

PoteauCedar's Husband

Dangerous Lunatic

6,475 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Brandisher 100
  • Cash Grabber 500
Elle the Hobo Queen
Karmerruk
Just wanted to mention that Gaia has received requests to remove items due to IP infringements, and they have removed items before in order to comply and work it out with people.

That furthers my point. They know what it's like to be censored, so they shouldn't go around censoring others. I could understand if Tekon made a site like Gaia and reproduced the same items. It's nothing like that. They just provide us a way to plan out outfits for our avis. What it boils down to is that they want to take Tekon's app, put it on Gaia, and charge for it. I'm on Tekon's side though, I'm not going to allow something I put all those hours of work into be taken over and me be given the boot. No ma'am!

Desirable Sex Symbol

You know, I'm not bothered by Gaia doing this, as it is their copyright items...

However, why did they wait SO LONG to do this? Why did they let them continue for over a decade importing their items ad letting people use the system. They obvious knew about it, it couldn't have been a surprise and a 'oh wow, look at this' after its all over gaia in signatures and the art forums and other things.

So tell me, what is Gaia's true purpose of doing this? Are they going to create a system just like it for gaians to use? This will really screw with a lot of people who are trying to create avatars yet don't want to buy the items unless they are positive it looks good together. Or how about the artist who ask for tektek images. I know almost every artist forum shop request an image use or what not, and some of them aren't even avatars create, its just OCs made that way.

Aged Zealot

Tiger Lylli
You know, I'm not bothered by Gaia doing this, as it is their copyright items...

However, why did they wait SO LONG to do this? Why did they let them continue for over a decade importing their items ad letting people use the system. They obvious knew about it, it couldn't have been a surprise and a 'oh wow, look at this' after its all over gaia in signatures and the art forums and other things.

So tell me, what is Gaia's true purpose of doing this? Are they going to create a system just like it for gaians to use? This will really screw with a lot of people who are trying to create avatars yet don't want to buy the items unless they are positive it looks good together. Or how about the artist who ask for tektek images. I know almost every artist forum shop request an image use or what not, and some of them aren't even avatars create, its just OCs made that way.

User Image
Because tektek was a free fansite, Tekton wasn't using their IP illegally until earlier last year when he started making ad revenue for a competitor site, as well as funneling users to his competitor site, using Gaia's IP. In Legalese the letter to him basically said: "Look, please take the ad for your competitor site from pages using our content, if you don't want to do that, fine, but you would have to shut down the website and we would rather that didn't happen."

Now before you go on about Tekton having had ads there before, there's a strict difference between the two types of ads that were being displayed. And that had a lot to do with it.

I'd like to also point out that the public never should have been involved with this whole shebang until after everything had been settled. Meaning: After Tekton had at least spoken to Gaia, which we've been told he hasn't, and his radio silence isn't giving me reason to believe the contrary. Gaia is now dealing with an arguably serious legal proceeding, instead of a routine one. All because Tekton made the decision to jump ship without word to anyone beyond a vague note on his home page. A note that included a not-for-public-eyes legal document that went uncensored the first hour or two it was up.

A lot of people are shouldering the blow of the vast "down with gaia" wave going on by saying there was fault on both sides. But honestly the only fault I'm seeing on Gaia's side is that Tektek didn't get a takedown request the moment that ad went live. Which would have resulted in the same backlash, with one less 'argument'.

Also here's a thread detailing how to keep on keeping on after tektek shuts down.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff