Welcome to Gaia! ::

Attila The Chad's Widower

Bad Boy

Dlin

Art is extremely subjective and personal. Individuals set themselves up for a world of unnecessary hurt and conflict when they adopt arrogant or narrow views on what constitutes "good" art. Art museums display toilets or collages made of found trash as "fine art" right beside the old masters with their intricate landscapes, figurative works and portraits. It's ridiculous to decide that only a specific, illustrative and figurative type of image is "good" art.

You know, I often wondered what some people may think when they see those displays and collages made out of trash and such - would they go, "this is new art", or would they go, "people's tastes in art sure have gone downhill"? It is pretty thought provoking, because these different opinions are also part of the whole system of what makes art, "art". I think it's what forms "standards", and it's really interesting to consider, because it makes "standards" a really wide area, some restrictive, and some very liberal.

Attila The Chad's Widower

Bad Boy

ProdigyBombay
Curious to see that artist's art (mentioned in the first post).

...glass houses and all.

Most people are judgmental, I figure it's not worth getting too upset about anyone else's opinion. Take it in if it's critique and can be helpful, but otherwise, just don't worry to much about it. xD

Hmm, I'll agree that it's not always a good idea to cast stones at glass houses when we live in one ourselves. yum_puddi It becomes a little double-edged in a way - if we started thinking that other people's clients didn't have taste for paying so much for something we felt was inferior, and we're paid billions for, say, a head-shot that doesn't look as good as another artist's who's probably better than we are, we'd be trapped in a pretty vicious cycle, one that insults even our own clients as tasteless, as we've facilitated that train of thought ourselves.

But I think it's interesting, how we form our own opinions when going about things. whee In a way, that does make community very varied, and not so boring as a result, don't you agree?

Grumpy Codger

26,875 Points
  • Striking Knight 150
  • Bold Squire 75
  • Worthy Challenger 25
BOMB4Y
Dlin

Art is extremely subjective and personal. Individuals set themselves up for a world of unnecessary hurt and conflict when they adopt arrogant or narrow views on what constitutes "good" art. Art museums display toilets or collages made of found trash as "fine art" right beside the old masters with their intricate landscapes, figurative works and portraits. It's ridiculous to decide that only a specific, illustrative and figurative type of image is "good" art.

You know, I often wondered what some people may think when they see those displays and collages made out of trash and such - would they go, "this is new art", or would they go, "people's tastes in art sure have gone downhill"? It is pretty thought provoking, because these different opinions are also part of the whole system of what makes art, "art". I think it's what forms "standards", and it's really interesting to consider, because it makes "standards" a really wide area, some restrictive, and some very liberal.

Well... for many people, art is a form of communication. Some of those fine art installations, like the toilet, are a commentary on the human need for elegant design for even the most basic and humble functions. When you look at it that way, it's art. I think if art makes you think, it's done it's job. In their day, the old master paintings often invited controversy or thoughtful contemplation. Old Dutch still lifes, for example, were allegories for religious meditation. Each fruit, flower and insect depicted in intensely realistic detail had a symbolic meaning. (ie: ants = industry, butterflies=ephemeral nature of youth and beauty, the various flowers and fruits were symbolic of specific aspects of Christ, the church, the soul, etc.) Today we just see a nicely arranged pile of fruit and flowers. The painter and his patrons saw a lot more.

I think it's easier to appreciate all forms of art if one reads up on art history, and can learn to, if not actually like, then simply understand what other forms of art are and that they are all valid. I think it's helped me to be a lot more tolerant and tactful when it comes to the efforts of newer, and less experienced artist here on Gaia. Like I said, we all gotta start somewhere. Deciding to copy a popular pop art form like anime isn't a bad thing, it's a good place to start for many. If they're serious about their art, they will expand if and when they are ready to different styles and media. Otherwise, it's their business what they want to draw and how, imo. If I don't care for it, it's easy enough to click on out of the thread and go look at stuff elsewhere.

Time-traveling Shoujo

Do you secretly or openly judge your customers? Or, if you're a customer, do you feel you're being judged for your tastes, either by others or by an artist?

Well, I am actually wondering why chibis are priced higher than full bodies (I draw full bodies since I really need the gold haha) like, chibis are priced 5b while full bodies are priced 2b? I dunno, it's just that the process I go through to finish one art is really complicated and seeing someone price (won't namedrop the username haha)'s chibi for 3b compared to my full body for like 1b is just.. gonk

Also, I dunno why people price a seemingly effortless artwork really high. :/

Friendly Phantom

User Image

meh thats why i prefer to run bribe shops so people can offer what they see fit.
now mind you that doesn't mean that i will accept any kind of bribe, but it gives me a better understanding on what my art is really worth to people instead of just making up a number.
making art should be fun, not stressful and annoying.
i might take a lower bribe from someone with a really cute / interesting character rather than someone who offers me more but has a character that doesn't interest me as much. 3nodding

/rambles on

User Image

Sparkly Genius

this thread is extremely enlightening. i'm having a lot of fun reading through people's opinions and i'm only on page 3.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff