Welcome to Gaia! ::

Madam Ace's Compadre

Shady Man-Lover

i don't do it often. but i do when someone's rude. it's literally the only damn reason i'd ever consider cutting a user off my life on gaia.
i blocked a user once who basically posts in the GCD every day and i've never seen them saying anything positive once. they've also been rude, and refuse to acknowledge it, and insulted many people, so i blocked them.
one day i decided to unblock and literally 2 hours later the first post i saw of them making is another dumbass complaining. so now, they're are definitly never coming off my ignore list from now on lol

people would harass NPCs, posting death threats on their profiles for being gaia's scapegoat of advertizing the ggs, what would stop them from harassing real life people? lmao. idk about the mods, but it's obvious we really lack some around here

and there's the parts of the forums i've went once and will never touch again, because it is a ******** disaster and i don't need that headache

Wheezing Member

Hassli
I feel that I can generally diffuse the situation if someone is being an asshat.

He does this by stripping.

Usually to an electronic uns uns uns

Tiny Shapeshifter

Harassment cases should be reported asap since ignore feature is only a preventive measure. Sadly, mods are just overpowered by bad apples, and it requires quite a bit of time to get the right type of mod for the community.

Yeata Zi's Bae

Dedicated Diedrich

26,600 Points
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
Torse
Hassli
I feel that I can generally diffuse the situation if someone is being an asshat.

He does this by stripping.

Usually to an electronic uns uns uns
i do have to go find my best heels first. I only strip in heels. I'm classy like that.

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
I hate that saying. I do use the ignore button and the report button. Basically someone has to really make me want to daze them in zOMG! in order for me to use the ignore feature. If there is a mass ignore on a user, then I guess that user really likes attention with negative remarks. dramallama Harassment is a big problem all over the internet. I mean there has been cyber bullying going on with Facebook that have resulted in several suicide cases. I don't think new users notice unmoderated parts of the site, but existing users do and point it out. I think there is a lot of labeling going on. Like many users avoid rallies, GD, and chatterbox because of cybering problems. Some users avoid forums all together because of trolling. I do know a lot of friends who just stick to the zOMG! game itself and scared of being verbally attacked in forums.

Goth Fairy

22,600 Points
  • 90's Movie Token Quirky Goth Girl 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Adnama Lavode
I'll use my ignore button in a heartbeat if someone is trying to go after me for no reason at all. If they're being a t**t during a discussion, I'll wait until the discussion ends normally and then block them, because why bother with that person again? I'll give someone about three chances before I do that.

There seems to be a stigma that comes with using the ignore button though, as if ignoring someone is admitting defeat or is somehow dishonorable, which I think is silly. Even more silly is the action of letting someone harass you because you don't want to use ignore. I say throw them on there and forget them, because people shouldn't sacrifice their comfort for others on a site that doesn't really mean all that much.

Places being unmoderated is pretty bad though. That sort of thing really can kill the activity in a forum.
I was going to post something like this, but you pretty much said it for me. Very well put. The whole "ignoring is weak" thing is immature, and usually the people who say it are the ones that spout drama.

Beloved Stargazer

I see no problems with using the ignore feature, though it takes a special kind of douche to end up on there indefinitely. Generally I put beggers (you know the kinds) on ignore until they decide to harass someone else.

Sage Prophet

13,100 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Wall Street 200
  • Invisibility 100
In my opinion the ignore system is not only useless but potentially harmful.
To start, in essence it's like covering your eyes while your house is being robbed. They say keep your friends close and your enemies closer, and for good reason. After all why would you not want to know if someone who was nasty to you isn't right now in the forums insulting you or name-dropping you? Putting someone on ignore doesn't protect us from harrassment, it just makes us blind to it.

Blind. Which brings me to how the ignore system can be harmful: it can be abused and misused. I've seen people put others on ignore just so they can insult them afterwards without the other seeing or being able to reply or report it. I've also known about users that reply to others in forums and right after put the user they just replied to on ignore so they don't see and can't reply back. That's a really coward way of bailing out of an argument while being the last to speak, but I've seen it being done. The other user doesn't even know there was a new reply, but everyone else does and sees it.
Also, I've known people who insult others on their profile page and then put them on ignore so the user they harrassed doesn't see the comment and can't even report or delete it - in their own page! But it is there for everyone else to see, just not the person whom it actually concerns the most. :/

That's why I think the ignore system is flawed, exploitable, useless and does more harm than good.

Kid-Jak-A-Lynn's Husband

Diamond Diamond

42,050 Points
  • Glacial Champion 350
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Level 10 250
Hassli
i do have to go find my best heels first. I only strip in heels. I'm classy like that.

I generally diffuse a giant fart joke.

I just have to let it linger.

Stellar Succubus

True Manticore
~snip~

That's why I think the ignore system is flawed, exploitable, useless and does more harm than good.

I've had this happen to me on more than one occasion. It's frustrating.

We should always be able to see all comments put on our profiles and have the power to delete them ourselves, even those made by people we have ignored or who are ignoring us.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff