Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is what I'm saying true?

Yes 0.46551724137931 46.6% [ 27 ]
No 0.12068965517241 12.1% [ 7 ]
I didn't bother to read it because it's too long and I wanna spam the topic 0.20689655172414 20.7% [ 12 ]
I need gold, therefore I'm a newb and don't care 0.20689655172414 20.7% [ 12 ]
Total Votes:[ 58 ]
< 1 2

pearljammer89
puma28
pearljammer89
Newbs are a part of every forum, and they're always going to clutter. I think newbs should just be treated as an empty space. If you make a topic you don't say anything until someone has replied in your topic. So, if a newb happens to reply first, just ignore them and be patient until someone with brains comes in and posts a meaningful comment. Newbs can be annoying, but just ignore them and you'll be a lot happier about posting here. There's nothing you can do or say about the newbs to get them to leave, so toleration's the only answer, really.

What? So when a new forum starts and 5 people join, ignore all of them? 'Cause they are noobs in that sence.

I guess I'll lay out how I view a new poster on a forum:
newb/n00b- A new member who spams
A New Member - A member who recently signed up. Only a newb if they spam.

Thanks for clarifying
chrtro
I've noticed this a lot in the ED, and that is that a lot of replies are factless, or personal responses to things that can be backed up by fact. Here's an example:
Lets say someone starts a discussion saying if trains are dangerous
Person 1: I hate trains
Person 2: No
Person n: wtf?
Person n+1: I WANT GOLD
Person n+2: Trains are not dangerous since they are bound by the rail. Derailing only occurs if the speed is set to high, or if there is a break in the rail. However, the driver of the train (for those who think conductor, no, thats a person who designates where the train goes) knows the speed, and engineers always check the railroads.
This is what I'm seeing. A bunch of crap that leads nowhere until someone has the balls to give a right answer.
The only place where you should put personal thoughts are on discussions that cannot be backed up by fact, like is God for reals (Bible doesnt count, those are stories), how are we here, etc.
So now discuss:
Are threads in the ED forum being spammed by personal opinion during a discussion that requires facts?
Or are there too many newbs?
What is the cause of the fact that people do not support reasoning with facts? Is it because of money? Because they need to get a word in? Because they are not sure of what they are saying is right?

By the way, this discussion cannot be supported by facts, so feel free to use personal opinion...kinda ironic huh?

Too many people are lazy thinkers here on Gaia. What's worse, they flaunt their laziness under the guise of "my opinion." They keep confusing subjective opinion with objective fact. No one stops to think that their "opinion" doesn't change facts? No matter how much you opine that the sky is green, I'm sorry to say that it's blue. Besides, no one cares about opinions anyway. Discuss with facts, and that's what ought to shape opinions, not the other way around.

Fact: the sky is blue.
Opinion: I think the blue sky is pretty.

Not opinion or fact: I think the sky is green. <-- Well, then you're just an idiot.
caelarue
I think a lot of it has to do with being lazy. It's much easier to spout opinions or random drivel than it is to actually do some research and actually type out an educated response, and it's even more difficult to actually try to defend your stance on the matter than it is to post and run.

It does have a lot to do with laziness, but ya know what? I think that personal opinion does enter into it, in every topic of debate. Yeah the posts like "Trains is cool," are really annoying but you need to combine fact with opinion stated as fact to have a compelling, lasting argument.
Rurouni-sama
caelarue
I think a lot of it has to do with being lazy. It's much easier to spout opinions or random drivel than it is to actually do some research and actually type out an educated response, and it's even more difficult to actually try to defend your stance on the matter than it is to post and run.

It does have a lot to do with laziness, but ya know what? I think that personal opinion does enter into it, in evry topic of debate. Yeah the posts like "Trains is cool," are really annoying but you need to combine fact with opinion stated as fact to have a compelling, lasting argument.

I agree that the argument will last, but it wont be compelling...it would be going around the circles, and the person who asked a simple question wont get their answer
chrtro
pearljammer89
puma28
pearljammer89
Newbs are a part of every forum, and they're always going to clutter. I think newbs should just be treated as an empty space. If you make a topic you don't say anything until someone has replied in your topic. So, if a newb happens to reply first, just ignore them and be patient until someone with brains comes in and posts a meaningful comment. Newbs can be annoying, but just ignore them and you'll be a lot happier about posting here. There's nothing you can do or say about the newbs to get them to leave, so toleration's the only answer, really.

What? So when a new forum starts and 5 people join, ignore all of them? 'Cause they are noobs in that sence.

Thanks for clarifying

He wasn't clarifying, he was saying how he viewed it, which is wrong.
puma28
chrtro
pearljammer89
puma28
pearljammer89

Thanks for clarifying

He wasn't clarifying, he was saying how he viewed it, which is wrong.

Actually...he is correct...Newb is used for people who act new to the subject matter, as if they dont know anything. However, a new person might have a ton of knowledge
Definition of newb: One that is new to something, especially a novice at using computer technology or the Internet.

I don't see anything like the word stupid, spammer, annoying..
chrtro
Rurouni-sama
caelarue

It does have a lot to do with laziness, but ya know what? I think that personal opinion does enter into it, in evry topic of debate. Yeah the posts like "Trains is cool," are really annoying but you need to combine fact with opinion stated as fact to have a compelling, lasting argument.

I agree that the argument will last, but it wont be compelling...it would be going around the circles, and the person who asked a simple question wont get their answer

But there is no feeling in an argument comprised only of fact, and how can you argue with no feeling?
chrtro
chessiejo
huh? you mean me? i was expressing an opoinion, a rather disgruntled one at that.
did i do something wrong?
other than typos?

from what you said, you meant it in a way that I am denouncing those who don't use facts, and that is why people will overlook this topic.

*Smiles faintly* You are putting words in her mouth. Stop it. She's expressing herself. Seeing that you are "allowing" us to express our opinions, stop trying to control hers.

AS for the subject, I agree that it often appears that people start chatting more than really using the ED for in-depth debates. However, I also note that discussion is part of debate, and thus opinions will be used.

For instance: you think that the Bible is merely a book of stories. Do you have any fact that it is nothing more than a book of stories? I doubt it. Not supportable, tangible, grounded fact. Therefore, you are using an opinion and therefore doing the same thing you despise in others.

Interesting thread, by the bye.
Aviahnna
chrtro
chessiejo
huh? you mean me? i was expressing an opoinion, a rather disgruntled one at that.
other than typos?

from what you said, you meant it in a way that I am denouncing those who don't use facts, and that is why people will overlook this topic.

*Smiles faintly* You are putting words in her mouth. Stop it. She's expressing herself. Seeing that you are "allowing" us to express our opinions, stop trying to control hers.

AS for the subject, I agree that it often appears that people start chatting more than really using the ED for in-depth debates. However, I also note that discussion is part of debate, and thus opinions will be used.

For instance: you think that the Bible is merely a book of stories. Do you have any fact that it is nothing more than a book of stories? I doubt it. Not supportable, tangible, grounded fact. Therefore, you are using an opinion and therefore doing the same thing you despise in others.

Have you read the bible? I've glanced through it, and it seems as if its nothing but stories. These are stories of Jesus, or of his miracles. However, they too have no fact behind them, leaving it to be fictitious
I'm catholic, but I think the bible is propaganda

Also, I did not put words in her mouth, another person and I both interpreted what she said as what I said
chrtro
Aviahnna
chrtro
chessiejo
other than typos?

Have you read the bible? I've glanced through it, and it seems as if its nothing but stories. These are stories of Jesus, or of his miracles. However, they too have no fact behind them, leaving it to be fictitious
I'm catholic, but I think the bible is propaganda

Also, I did not put words in her mouth, another person and I both interpreted what she said as what I said

Yes, I have read the Bible, and more that once. There is scientific, historical, and geographical fact that stabilizes the truth of the Bible. Of course, glancing through it will not readily reveal such knowledge. I do not care what religion you affiliate yourself with. You still did not respond with solid, tangible, irrefutable fact. And, according to what you stated in the first post, opinion does not stand unless supported by fact.

I am not here to debate about the Bible. I merely was pointing out that, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, your misinterpretation of her opinion was phrased in such a way as to make it appear that you were putting words in her mouth. Phrases such as "You meant" are detrimental, if you wish to appear understanding.

A vital key to debating is listening and analyzing before replying. This is why I don't like to discuss religion with people. Most immediately shut down, whereas I am willing to concede defeat if someone presents a good argument.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff