Welcome to Gaia! ::

Loyal Kitten

If they were to make an MMO, and that's a big IF, I'd rather them not rehash zOMG. They're going to have to do something from the ground up, if they want to go this route, and they might as well do something fresh and interesting.

Let's be realistic, the likelihood of this happening is slim to none. A kickstarter might be enough to develop said game but unless they somehow find a way to make the game really profitable it won't be enough to keep someone or someones on staff to fix,update and add to the game the way it needs to be done. I'd rather them focus instead of bettering the site and perhaps updating the core games (Fishing needs it so bad). Another giant venture after the failure of Tentacl probably isn't in the cards.

Sparkly Wizard

10,725 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Novice Mage 100
Loveparody
You can't just throw money at something and expect that to fix the problem. That is not the point or why zOMG shut down in the first place.

The problem is that ZOMG is using deprecated code and it is better to scrap the entire thing than to continue fixing it. The more you try to fix a lot of old code, it can possibly open new exploits. It's like putting tape on something that tape cannot fix. The majority of users here have absolutely no understanding of how programming works.

It'd be better to start from scratch and write a brand new engine with a new code base like python or C/C++. Flash is incredibly insecure.

Engineers are NOT miracle workers and they are not magicians. It gives them headaches having to dissect old code and try to fix it. Their time is better spent writing brand new stuff instead of fixing something that is years and years old. Sometimes things are too old to fix, especially something large like ZOMG.

Quoting this because it needs to be seen. Coding is very delicate, complicated, and difficult work. They even brought a previous zOMG! developer to consult.

You just need to learn to let go. zOMG! is dead.

If there's enough people asking for it, we may get lucky with another MMO, but that's not going to happen if people keep begging for zOMG! back and flinging accusations of corruption and dishonesty left and right.

Loyal Trader

8,750 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PERFECT idea! Their is just one problem, how on Earth are we going to bring this idea to the Gaia Online administrates attention??? Their is no way their actually reading these forum posts. crying
Madam Harlot
Hello GCD, as we all know, our beloved Zomg was put to rest due to a possible exploit that would compromise our accounts. Seeing that it was probably costly and they lacked the coders to restore it they decided to pull the plug for good. Many of us Zomg users are now left as refugees and our spot to hang out is gone. Some are quitting and others are taking a hiatus until things blow over. But what if there was a way to save it?

I have been mulling this question over and over in my head and I came up with a brilliant idea. What if the community donated money to hire a coder and save Zomg. Many of us already spend money to purchase GaiaCash, and I sure that others would be more than willing to use that money we would have used to purchase GS to helping save Zomg. Gaia has already done a similar thing to kickstart their Frontier Skies board game so why not do it again, except this time it will be used to save a feature near and dear to many of our hearts.

Now if saving it were not an option, what if we had a kickstart to fund a band new Zomg from the ground up? There were many other cities in Gaia that were not present in Zomg so perhaps it could start in Durem or Aekea or example.

So what do you think GCD, would it work if it did happen, or do you think Gaia just wants to put it behind themselves already?

Loyal Trader

8,750 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Do you have a soul? crying
Qiam
Loveparody
You can't just throw money at something and expect that to fix the problem. That is not the point or why zOMG shut down in the first place.

The problem is that ZOMG is using deprecated code and it is better to scrap the entire thing than to continue fixing it. The more you try to fix a lot of old code, it can possibly open new exploits. It's like putting tape on something that tape cannot fix. The majority of users here have absolutely no understanding of how programming works.

It'd be better to start from scratch and write a brand new engine with a new code base like python or C/C++. Flash is incredibly insecure.

Engineers are NOT miracle workers and they are not magicians. It gives them headaches having to dissect old code and try to fix it. Their time is better spent writing brand new stuff instead of fixing something that is years and years old. Sometimes things are too old to fix, especially something large like ZOMG.

Quoting this because it needs to be seen. Coding is very delicate, complicated, and difficult work. They even brought a previous zOMG! developer to consult.

You just need to learn to let go. zOMG! is dead.

If there's enough people asking for it, we may get lucky with another MMO, but that's not going to happen if people keep begging for zOMG! back and flinging accusations of corruption and dishonesty left and right.

Man-Hungry Elocutionist

12,450 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Popular Thread 100
It totally sucks that it seems the zOMG code is unsalvageable in terms of security flaws. I would love for them to make a zOMG 2.0 from scratch, and would definitely put money towards a (real) Kickstarter if they did one. ...It just seems like Gaia is taking away features whilst begging for more money at the moment. Kind of depressing.

OG Hero

I feel bad about the zOMG thing, but then again I'm kinda like BAWWWW over the whole situation and complains.

Ages ago we begged for this, I know.
We got the MMO that we wanted and it was great, it was fun while it lasted.
The hype for it died though, it really did.

Whenever I would go on I would RARELY see people in game.
There was never anyone to go crewing with for EB runs and Kam runs - don't get me started on those. All the ******** players were a bunch of elitist assholes. ( Not all, but A LOT. )
Some users made it so unfriendly to even go on there that it made me frustrated to play.

Also, MMOs like that cost a s**t ton of money to run.
Back Alley Bargains was more than a ghost town, I don't think people even really bought the items anymore really.
League, Maple and all those other MMOs are free to play but they get backed up with people buying a lot of things on those games. ( Skins on league and hair tickets on Maple ... )

In the end, it's not really money to fund the game to get it back up..
It's money that needs to /constantly/ be funded to keep it up.

Everyone on this site now is so against "Oh Gaia is in it just for money so I refuse to spend ANY money."
All that BS, unfortunately guys you need money to run things, nothing in life is free.
i mean what should we do with our ring? atleast let us sell them or do something with them?!!!

Celestial Trickster

35,575 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Expert Converter 250
  • Super Converter 100
It's nice to see those who are loyal to zOMG still around. But i doubt they will bring it back, the game was created with an old code, so updating to a new one would require human resources, especially if the original creators isn't around anymore. Sorry I don't wanna burst some bubble but that's the reality.

Obsessive Otaku

28,950 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
It's not going to happen.

Stone-cold Cat

20,840 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200
I know a lot of people that would put real life money into getting zOMG back.
However, i don't think the site is popular enough to maintain the cost of what it will take to keep it running.
They have a hard enough time giving us manga related to the plot.

Stellar Succubus

As I understand it, Kickstart itself isn't for pre-existing and established businesses.

That aside, since it's not really necessary to go through this site for the plan to work, I cannot see this coming to fruition. To pay a developer (it would realistically need more than one, since folks can't do this stuff 24 hours a day) It would take serious commitment from the users, by way of consistent financial support. I have my doubts whether such a thing would really work in the long term. It would be a temporary if it were a kickstarter style fund raiser.

Unless,,, zOMG! became a pay to play/subscription game... and to be honest... it was not nearly good enough to compete with pre existing mmos to charge money to play it. Many of the glitches it had were utterly game-ending, involving having to make a new account and starting from scratch to continue, all with the possibility the same glitch would reoccur... I'm assuming those glitches would take more than a simple fix, a lot of time and possible total rewrites of code. That's pretty costly as I understand.

In short, zOMG! just wasn't a good enough, or solid enough game in terms of playability and glitch management to compete for my gaming dollars, and a kickstart wouldn't guarantee its continued existence. It would be a temporary fix unless long term and consistent commitment on both sides were maintained.

Divine Streaker

11,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Mark Twain 100
I've been around this world, yet I see no end...

--I'm late to this party, but really wanted to give some insight. zOMG! would definitely need to be rebuilt, but judging from the first page, that's pretty well established. Gaia Interactive needs the cash shop to acquire the money to eventually fund a team for a new game. If they were to go the MMO route again, they should seriously consider making it an actual program to be installed onto your computer. That would be a massive project, however, that would be in the future. What they should focus on now is

A. Updating their current game selection and offering higher reward payouts
B. Adding some new games. Not a lot, just a few. Maybe even some that offered more GC-related bonuses because, let's face it, GC is their way of making money.
C. Look at getting into the mobile gaming market.

If they did those three things, then the possibility of a new MMO could become something that they can actually do. I also think they should consider bringing back their merchandise. If people really want to see zOMG! come back, bigger and better at that, then there needs to be a pressing demand for the smaller things. I'd love to see zOMG! come back, and I was really disappointed to come back on here after years to see that it was gone. Gaia Interactive needs time to recoup its losses and put back some money for better projects, and in order for them to have the motivation to see these projects into fruition it's going to take the community asking for it. Eat the elephant one bite at a time.

...in this river all shall fade to black, ain't no comin' back.

In a relationship with his right hand

Aged Accumulator

I hate to agree with the last few posters, but I seriously doubt that something like this would be financially feasible. Gaia Online is far past its peak and it's never going to have that kind of userbase again. At the height of its popularity, around 2008, the website was struggling to break even and they had a lot of layoffs when the economy turned south. Even if they recycle most of the art, sound, and stat/combat system from the old game, they would still have to hire new programmers to develop the code for it from the ground up. zOMG is a lot like their parent site; it was very appealing to teens of years past because it was seen as a hip, cutting edge place for a niche interest in Japanese animation and games, which had a Pokemon, DBZ, Gundam filled boom in the late 1990s leading into the early years of the new millennium. Now those children have grown up and many have left behind their childhood hobbies and interests. You still have die-hard fans, but there are also now a significant number of alternatives when it comes to places to share in your hobby with others, FaceBook, Tumblr, and many other more popular, newer outlets. Traditional forums in general are dying and traditional MMORPGs aren't as enticing to teens today as the mobile phone game market is much larger than it was before. Why sit down and grind for five hours if you can just play something quick and fun on your phone? Probably most problematic for Gaia is that there has been no large international hit with children/tweens from Japan since the initial surge of shows around 2000 meaning their userbase is ageing. This place was once full of l33tsp34k and kids who typ lyk this, something you almost never see now. With no newer, younger players coming in Gaia is going to be facing a big problem as their remaining userbase starts to leave college and start their own families, a time when free time and money are at a premium.

Gaia is a site in decline, they simply don't have the numbers to focus on a big project like an MMO. They don't have the money, the manpower, or the userbase they did at their peak. They also don't have the potential market to support a finished product or a demand for it. It sucks, it really does but there's not really anything we can do about it.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
It would probably have to be a Real Money Kickstarter with like 210,000 USD as the goal.

Omnipresent Rabbit

30,750 Points
  • Energy Harvester 150
  • Married 100
  • Striking Knight 150
Well I thought part of the reason zomg was in maintenance mode was because they really didn't have staff employed that knew the code anymore? That they had to outsource someone to even look into it when the game was messing up on them?

If I'm wrong then I stand corrected, but wouldn't that mean that a 2.0 would be the only alternative and that it would require Gaia to employ a coder to build a whole new game which would be rather expensive in the long run.

I would like to see them make something/ or update something that shows dedication to their site as it is before having another failure to add to the maintenance list. I really wish they'd launch some updated guilds for one. ^_^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff