Welcome to Gaia! ::

Golden Gatekeeper

Welcome to Gold Springs!

Nestled among the roots of the mountain, near a bubbling stream at the far edge of the valley is Gold Springs. Once thriving at the height of the Gold Rush, this town has long since been abandoned for reasons unknown. One road leads into the town, where anyone who happens to come upon it will find a General Store, a small church that doubled as a school house, several small houses and shacks, and just beyond all of that are the mine shafts that once wove deep into the mountain’s core. There are also signs of several buildings that had been burned down; especially that of what could be believed as the bank, sheriff's office, the town's owner's mansion house, as well a handful of shacks that were closest to the mine. However, the first building anyone will come across is the Pick 'n Pan.

The Pick 'n Pan is a small tavern and inn that’s on the outskirts of the town. Often it was where the miners would rest their weary limbs after a hard day’s work, and drown said weariness in cheap beer and strong ale. Now, after much strife and struggle, the inn and tavern has over-gone much needed repair and renovations, even if it does not look it. Much of this is do to the current owner of the town, who did what she could to make the tavern look as close to what it would have looked back in the town's glory days.

Golden Gatekeeper

User Image First off I don't play the 'holier than thou' game, I'm very reasonable.

Follow Gaia ToS

Real Life Comes First. It's understandable for one to disappear because something comes up. Family, friends, school, work...they are all necessary to your life. So go and do what you need to do.

Quotations and decent sentence structure are a Must.

Be nice. I don't waltz into your storyline down-talking everything you've built. Afford me and your fellow players the same courtesy.

No Godmoding or Metagaming. Fights happen, that’s understandable…but no one is all powerful or all knowing. Faults and weaknesses are the spices of life, and far more interesting than perfection, invulnerability, or mind readers.

Absolutely no killing of another character without the consent of the other person, unless it's an abandoned child. Abandoned Children will be Fed to the Wolves...because I don't have the patience to take care of them, and it's not fair to burden anyone else with it.

No cybering, keep the juicy details to yourself please. cat_wink

I've been known to be a potty mouth myself, but lets try and keep it at a reasonable level please.

No blatant advertising. I didn't come to your thread and made it all about my stuff, please give me the same respect.

I don't mind a little OOC but make sure it is with an actual post In Character. Too many OOC posts tend to lead to a loss in story-line.

There is no set timeline here. So a day could last for weeks, or at a whim the day could suddenly end in mid-conversation and the day could start anew. Depends really on how interesting things are or if RP in general has come to a complete stop.

Feel free to test a new character here; don't feel obligated to make them a permanent resident.

RULES WILL BE ADDED AS NEEDED.

Golden Gatekeeper

~~~ The Tavern/Inn ~~~

User Image The Pick 'n Pan is your basic tavern, complete with a bar and dining area designed with a mix of rustic saloon décor and modern amenities. Hanging behind the bar is a Rifle of Holy Shot specifically designed for the Order of the Virtuous Rose. Beyond the bar is a fully furbished kitchen and pantry, while down the hall and up the stairs leads to seven guest rooms. So not to deviate too far from the original structure’s layout, none of the rooms have their own private bathroom. The original bathroom that was once shared by so many guests in the past is still fully functional, and it at the end of the hall of the first floor.

Each of the rooms contain a full size bed, a small wardrobe, and a writing desk with chair. The bathroom still has the original cast-iron tub with clawed feet, as well as a sink, and toilet.

User ImageOwner: Kim Weldon ( Pleasantly Ridiculous )
Staff: Roibon Alston ( The Poppy King )~Currently MIA~
Elissa Rose ( Pleasantly Ridiculous )

WE ARE HIRING!
If there is a specific position you would like, please let me know!

Rooms Available!
Room 1:
Room 2:
Room 3:
Room 4:
Room 5:
Room 6:
Room 7:

Golden Gatekeeper

~~~ Other Lodgings ~~~

For the regular guests and employees.

A mix match of row houses, one room shacks, with a sprinkling of cottages.

There are three fully furnished cottages that look to house a family each, based on what they could afford to build and live within during the gold rush. The cottages have your basic combined kitchen and living area with a wood burning stove, bathroom, and a small side room that has a writing table. Upstairs in the loft area is a full size bed and small wardrobe. The cottages are designed for couples, and can be altered for those wishing to start a small family.

User Image Upon entering the row houses, the front room is a fully furnished living room combined with a kitchen, with a wood burning stove, bathroom, and the bedroom with a full size bed and wardrobe in the back.

The shacks simply have one room as well as a sink and toilet. There is a wood burning stove for heat, and a futon for sitting and sleeping, as well as a small dresser for clothes. These were basically designed for guests who are looking to rough it…to live without the usual amenities and simply enjoy what the surrounding wilderness has to offer.

Cottage 1:
Cottage 2:
Cottage 3:

Row House 1:
Row House 2:
Row House 3:
Row House 4:
Row House 5:
Row House 6:
Row House 7:
Row House 8:
Row House 9: Naomi Devin ( Pleasantly Ridiculous ) & Bill Wilkerson ( Captain Bro-Cookie )

Shack 1: Kim Weldon ( Pleasantly Ridiculous )
Shack 2:
Shack 3:
Shack 4:
Shack 5:
Shack 6:
Shack 7:

Golden Gatekeeper

~~~ The General Store ~~~

User ImageThis was originally a quaint storefront with plenty of storage in the back, as well as a small apartment up on the second floor. Kim has cleared out the back storage room of any old provisions, and used it to store renovation supplies and basic décor to use as she needs it.

User Image Now, it has been renovated and reopened as a gift shop. In the front is the shop itself, the back has been converted into a workshop.. The upper apartment is currently used for storage. The gift shop portion remains to be quaint and welcoming, filled with unique and exciting items that Kim has ensured are not too cliche or too commonly found in a majority of vacation spots.

For those who are sensitive to magic...

A handful of charms and bobbles have been enchanted to create minor effects, such as glow a certain color or reveal an image within a crystal. The back room also radiates of magic, because the counter tops are laced with lyrium. Lyrium is a mineral that's found within the town's mines. It is used to enhance one's magical abilities and spells, but it is highly intoxicating and is extremely dangerous in its raw form. The mineral used in the backroom has been processed and inlaid and coated so that a mage can use it without the risk of being harmed by it.

Golden Gatekeeper

~~~ The Chapel/School House ~~~

User Image Kim had decided to use this building to store furniture that is fit to be restored. It has now been renovated to act as a humble museum for the town. It includes tools and trinkets found around the town and near the mine shafts, as well as some of the more ornate furnishings that were rescued from the mansion house before it burned down.

Golden Gatekeeper

~~~ The Priory ~~~

The Order of the Virtuous Rose

On the lot of land formerly used for the town’s founder’s family mansion. Upon inheriting the town, there were plans to complete the construction of the mansion house. However, due to some trespassing issues, as well as some safety issues, the restoration efforts were put on hold. About a year later, another trespassing violation resulted in the building being burnt to the ground.

Thanks to the efforts of Gotrek Stonefist, Thorin Grimtooth and his crew, as well as Bambi Ife, Lucius Silvanus’ vision has come to life. Built and fortified with granite and ironwood, this medieval style monastery is a sanctuary for those in need of help and healing. It is self-sustaining with a large vegetable and herb garden, as well as a humble medical clinic and a communal kitchen. The upper floor houses a dormitory and a small library. There is also a small stable for various animals and a shed filled with gardening and maintenance tools. The priory is currently under the care and maintenance of Sister Elissa Rose.

For those who are sensitive to magic...

Magic was involved in the making of the priory. The granite has runes that were engraved within the walls of the garden to help maintain the environment for optimal growing conditions. The shed has runes that can manipulate the weather conditions within it, and the plumbing used for the communal and medical bathrooms on the first floor use a combination of runes and plumbing to maintain consistent temperatures and pressure.

The thread linked above is an Invite Only Thread. It is open to the public.

Golden Gatekeeper

~~~ The Mine ~~~

A grand, dwarven gateway has been built. When the area is fully cleared and ready, the market and arena areas will be open to the public.

Little was known as to what exactly happened to cause the miners to abandon the gold mine. After some physical and magical investigation, it was learned that long before the mountain range knows as the Moonstone Highlands came to be, a monastery of demonic nature was built in the general area. It had long been sealed up by celestial beings, and it was that seal that the miners broke.

It was also learned that there is more than just gold in the mine. The caverns past the original mine are rich with various minerals, including a power enhancing crystal known as lyrium. All demonic traces within the caves have been wiped out, as well as other hazards and threats. Three dwarven craftsmen are currently renovating the mountain and the remains of the monastery, so to build a new dwarven kingdom known as Goldheart.

Just outside of the mine entrance is a shack that looks a bit different from the rest. Upon looking inside, it would appear to be a foreman’s office. The small building contains a table with four chairs, a couple of barrels, a large crate, and some mining supplies, such as picks and shovels. To the side of the shack is a plaque explaining what the building was used for.

The thread linked above is an Invite Only Thread. It was originally only opened to those invited in due to RP reasons.

It is now open to the public.

Golden Gatekeeper

~ A Bit of History ~

There were gold in these here hills! And those who found it believed that it would flow like the rivers into the open seas that were their pockets. It never took long for towns to spring up wherever there was gold, and those same towns would just as soon die once it dried up. It was well over a century since Gold Spring lived through the cycle of the gold rush…and since those days, it’s long been forgotten.

Or was it the cycle at all, and not something far darker that was unearthed by greedy hands?

Upon receiving this plot of land and a vast fortune that could have very well started with the gold mine itself, Kim Weldon ( who happened to inherit the entire town from a distant uncle she never heard of ) decided to venture out and see what exactly what it was she was entrusted with…and virtually fell in love with it! Most people in the surrounding towns couldn’t tell her much of anything about Gold Spring itself, yet they could recall a nursery rhyme they used to sing:

"The gold is rich in old Gold Springs;
The oldest mine that any know-
Tunnels deaf from pickaxe ring
Since something evil sleeps below.

The darkest depths bring riches bright,
Be as silent as the stone ahead,
For even the smallest candlelight
Will wake the one who should be dead."

While Kim found this to be quite creepy, it didn’t deter her from the idea of renovating the town in hopes of reviving it as some kind of tourist attraction or perhaps a resort of sorts.

Golden Gatekeeper

~ The Story Two Years Ago ~

Thanks to Roibon’s efforts in constructing a yellow brick road for the town, to help reduce amount of dirt tracked into the Pick 'n Pan, some people found their way to Gold Springs. However, it was not enough to entertain the ever bored Fae, who attempted to explore the world via the use of the internet. While Roibon busied himself with learning how to use a computer, Kim hired an efficient construction crew to take care of the renovations.

Kim also hired an antiquities appraiser, who went by the name of Bernard, to help her evaluate and determine the history behind several of the odd items she found within the ruined walls of the mansion. His help only proved that he did not see things the same way as she did. In one family portrait they happened to find in a tubular case, she saw three horrendous monsters etched next to a little girl; Bernard saw all the monsters as human as can be, while the little girl looks very similar to Kim herself!

Meanwhile, the demon Rovone wondered off while looking at some of the row houses and shacks. The dark elves Marcus and Sonya hoped to devour any lingering souls they happen to come across during their stay. Sadly, they didn't find any. Mara enjoyed herself while she used the town as a chance to hide from her troubles, and poor Re-Twuun had a hard time finding something to eat that he wouldn't have an allergic reaction to!

It wasn't long before Kim caught Mara and Re-Twuun sneaking around the mansion house. While she scolded the two about trespassing, a king sized cast iron bed fell through the floor of the master bedroom, resulting in Kim's injured leg. While she was laid-up, Mara has became temporarily hired to help out.

Though...temporarily eventually became permanent, as Roibon disappeared. The renovations on the cottages, row-houses, and shacks were nearly completed, and work was started on the church. It had been decided it would become a small museum for the town. Then came plans for the General Store, which would be turned into a storage facility and gift shop. The mansion remained boarded up until something or someone caused it to burn down.

Golden Gatekeeper

~ The Story Thus Far ~

After the fire at the mansion house, Kim decidedly dismissed a majority of her employees and requested the guests take their leave of the property. She felt that if she was going to put in the work needed to renovate the town and make it safe for guests and employees alike, then she needed to close it to the public until the work was completed. Unfortunately, the fae bound to the property known as Roibon Alston disappeared. This worried Kim, but there was not much she could do to search for him. She figured he would return when he was ready.

Now that the renovations have been completed, the town has been reopened. At least one weekend out of the month, a historic reenactment group rents the town to play out various western themed events.

One day, a horribly scarred mage found her way into town, whom Kim fed and aided in whatever way that the mage would allow. After departing for some time, the mage named Elissa returned to help Kim maintain the town, and study the art of time magic. Since then, a crocodilian woman named Astarte came into town seeking information, and left with the hope of attaining a space ship and crew that would help her revolt against an alliance of planets. Also, the knight known to Elissa as Lucius came for a brief visit, while patrolling the area of wendigos. Both he and Astarte were curious about the mystery behind the mine, and it was learned that Kim is immune to magic.

Lucius eventually came back through again with set of four initiates to take into the mine. With Kim’s permission, they went in to explore it and wipe out the evil that was saturated into the very stone itself. Acid spitting mushrooms ended up killing two of the initiates, one went insane while the other was severely traumatized by their brief encounter. They were sent out for their own safety. Elissa sleepwalked her way into the mine, where Lucius found and protected her to the best of his ability. Saizu eventually snuck in and helped to wipe out the demonic presence within the caverns. A man by the name of James took an interest in the mine, but Kim prevented him from entering it. Because he did not have a group to watch his back, she refused to give him her consent to go in after the knight and mage.

With the demonic presence wiped out, Lucius requested that a specific trio of his order go in to clear out the remaining undead and other creepy crawlies. However, said trio were sent on a more important mission, and Thorin Grimtooth and his crew were sent in instead. The dwarf did well to not only clear out the mine and caverns, but he mapped out the area and determined how best to utilize the area; not just for mining but for also as a potential dwarven colony. That along with the priory Thorin was consigned to design, it would seem that Gold Springs is destined to become more than just a ghost town.

Gradually, dwarves have been coming out of the woodwork. Since Thorin sent out the call for the start of a proper dwarven city, Gotrek, Valana, and Yarka have arrived. Gotrek and Valana have been a great help in renovating the mountain, while Yarka is on her way to controlling her rage and learning a new trade. Meanwhile, the priory was built and Lucius returned to retire from his knightly duties and help to tend to the library. Elissa is naturally excited to have her mentor helping out around the priory, especially after the news that she is to have twins.

Golden Gatekeeper

~~~ Potable Selection ~~~

~ Liquor ~
Whiskey
Rye
Bourbon
Ale
Beer

~ Saloon Specials ~

Firewater – made from raw alcohol, burnt sugar, and chewing tobacco
Cactus Wine – made from tequila and peyote tea
Mule Skinner – made from whiskey and blackberry liquor

~ Non-Alcoholic Beverages~

Soda
Coffee
Tea
Milk
Juice
Water

Golden Gatekeeper

~~~ Comestible Selection ~~~

~ Soups ~
Chicken Giblet and Consumme, with Egg

~ Fish ~

Columbia River Salmon, au Beurre Noir

~ Relieves ~
Filet a Boeuf, a la Financier
Leg of Lamb, Sauce, Oysters

~ Cold Meats ~

Loin of Beef
Loin of Ham
Loin of Pork
Westphalia Ham
Corned Beef
Imported Lunches

~ Boiled Meats ~
Leg of Mutton
Ribs of Beef
Corned Beef and Cabbage
Russian River Bacon

~ Entrees ~

Pinons a Poulett, aux Champignons
Cream Fricasse of Chicken, Asparagus Points
Lapine Domestique, a la Matire d'Hote
Casserole d'Ritz aux Oeufs, a la Chinoise
Ducks of Mutton, Braze, with Chipoluta Ragout
California Fresh Peach, a la Conde

~ Roasts ~

Loin of Beef, Loin of Mutton, Leg of Pork
Apple Sauce, Suckling Pig, with Jelly, Chicken Stuffed Veal

~ Pastry ~
Peach, Apple, Plum, and Custard Pies
English Plum Pudding, Hard Sauce, Lemon Flavor

Golden Gatekeeper

Tidbits and Knickknacks aka Notable Randomness!

During the initial exploration of the town, just before she started renovations, Kim met an actual resident of Gold Springs, a Fae that goes by the name of Roibon Alston.

~~~~~

When Roibon explained that he was a bound to the land that Kim now rightfully owned, they came to the realization that she thus owned him.

Roibon: "YESS MASTER, ROIBON VILL PULL ZE SWITCH!"

~~~~~

Kim also learned first hand of Roibon's shape-shifting abilities, such as when he decided to come out of the fireplace...just after she lit it.

Kim: "Um, Roy, you're smoldering."
Roibon: "Oh, thank you, I try."
Kim: "No, I mean you're on fire."

~~~~~

But that doesn't mean she didn't learn to get used to him.

Kim: "Hey, Roy!"
Roibon: "If you're going to give me a nickname, call me Ro."
Kim: "Sure thing, Roy."

~~~~~

Though, there are still some things Roibon still has to get used to...like the idea of wearing clothes!

Kim: "No, that's a scarf, not a belt, you wear it around your neck."
Roibon: "So you choke on it..? Urgh, not outside the bedroom."
Kim: "You wear them when it's cold."
Roibon: "I don't get cold."
Kim: "Then don't wear it."
Roibon: "Eeerrrh... it's cozy."

~~~~~

While Roibon is a bit ecstatic about being considered an official employee, he might want to rethink about asking for a specific title:

Annoying Assistant, Blasphemous Bartender, Wayward Waiter, Contrary Carpenter, Scandalous Smartass…

~~~~~

And then there are just some things Kim doesn't want to know about Roibon.

Roibon: ...I collected a few when teenagers fled and left their trousers.

Golden Gatekeeper

If you're not too busy, why not take a gander at this for a little bit. ^_^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas