Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Bookworm

I've been interested in wanting to get into wine, but my problem is... where do I start?

I can cook with it with no problem, but getting into the drinking part is the part I'm confused with.

And yes, I am 25, well past the age to get alcohol.

Any recommendations?

Luminosus's Wife

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
What you should try entirely depends on what your tastes are, and what you're looking for.

A good first thing to try is pairing wines to the food you're going to eat. Google "(insert dish you like to cook here) wine pairing" to see what comes up. If you're going to add wine to a dish, have a glass of the same wine while you eat.

When I started getting in to wine, I honestly would just browse the local wine store with a sort-of idea in mind (like, wanting to try a Burgundy or something like that), and pick labels that looked interesting/had a description that sounded good. Sometimes I liked it, sometimes I froze it into cubes for cooking just to be rid of it.

Shy Vampire

5,350 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
As a culinary student, I got to do a wine tasting at school so I was able to find my preference.
I prefer white wine, and it has to be a sweet one.
Riesling is very good when you are eating spicy food or as a dessert wine.
Barefoot makes a excellent Riesling.

Cunning Lunatic

spacekitten
What you should try entirely depends on what your tastes are, and what you're looking for.

A good first thing to try is pairing wines to the food you're going to eat. Google "(insert dish you like to cook here) wine pairing" to see what comes up. If you're going to add wine to a dish, have a glass of the same wine while you eat.

When I started getting in to wine, I honestly would just browse the local wine store with a sort-of idea in mind (like, wanting to try a Burgundy or something like that), and pick labels that looked interesting/had a description that sounded good. Sometimes I liked it, sometimes I froze it into cubes for cooking just to be rid of it.

What this person said is a good start. Hell, if you don't have a wine shop nearby, a lot of grocery stores with a decent wine section will have a guide to wine pairing posted somewhere. It's just a guideline but it'll be a good start. They may even have a wine steward on staff to make recommendations.

You can also start by thinking of foods and flavours that you enjoy, and choose wines that have similarities. A couple examples

Chocolate - Full bodied reds (Cabernet, Syrah, Zinfandel) PX Sherry, tawny port, etc.
Lemon - Muscadet, pinot grigio, sancerre, sauv blanc, verdicchio
Peaches - Chardonnay (New world ideally) moscato d'asti, muscat, riesling, viognier
Spices - Gewerztraminer, grenache, malbec, primitivo, syrah, or something aged in french oak.

I could find you examples for anything from coconut, to rose petals or grass, to olives and smoke. So if you want a few more suggestions more specifically based on tastes, let me know.

I imagine you've tried some wine in the past? What kinds, what did you like or dislike about them? Many people start with sweet white wines, as they tend to be easier on the palate. I prefer drier reds myself. I'm a fan of Bordeauxs with a soft spot for Riojas if I want something softer.

A lot of people try one or two wines and decide they don't like wine, but there're so many wines out there that there's inevitably something that you're going to like. It all comes down to how serious you want to take it and how much you want to spend on your path of discovery.

You could do as the above poster said and stick to cheap mass produced staples like Barefoot. Some of the popular names aren't terrible. In a lot of cases they buy their wine from big name vineyards and make their own blends, a lot of time with the grapes that weren't going to be used in the really quality products. It's a good source of income, selling grapes to be bottled under other labels. It's one of the ways a company like Cupcake can have a Moscato from Italy, a Sauv Blanc from New Zealand, a malbec from agentina, etc all under the Cupcake label.

There are actually a surprising number of less well known quality wines out there for reasonable prices, if you know how to find them.

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I remember that one of the things that got me started was a bbc show with oz Clark and James May. There were three seasons, the first focusing on the french wine country, the second focusing on california's wine country, and the third on the beverages of England.

There are a couple things that you can learn about when it comes to wines. Training your nose to pick up very subtle scents. Being able to pick out what a currant smells like, or grapefruit and such. Knowing what these scents can mean can allow you to figure out what scents and flavors are associated with which style of wine.

Have a variety and note the differences. Write down what you like and don't like. You don't have to go as far as to be a semollier about it but it's a fun hobby.

You can understand different processes that lead to different results from the same grape. How differences in soil and location is thought to create a slightly different wine.

One notable thing is that European, French wines in particular is extremely steeped in tradition. The process is the way it is because that's the way it's always been. You're tasting expertise that has been refined for generations.

Wines outside of europe, California in particular tend to break the mold of wine making. Grapes and wines are sometimes blended, Old traditions are sometimes blended with modern science to create some interesting wines. Sometimes this is to their detriment, but on decreasingly rare occasions to their benifit.

Your college MIT have a few books on the production of wine but if you ever get the chance watch those shows with oz Clark and James may. They're very informative and very entertaining.

Versatile Seeker

6,400 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Member 100
http://buyingguide.winemag.com/
Everything you need lies in here

Beloved Muse

7,100 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Married 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Your local wine store is really a good place to start. Find a helpful clerk, tell them you're trying to start drinking wine, and you want something to start that's not terribly expensive and is easy to drink. Tell them what you like in the way of flavours -- do you like sweet things, do you like black tea or coffee, do you drink beer or liquor already, etc -- and tell them if you want to drink it with a particular meal or if you're looking for something to drink on its own. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, their wine people are awesome and their wines are really reasonably priced. I miss the wine section of Trader Joe's since we've moved away!

I got my start with sweeter, lighter white wines -- Rieslings, moscatos, that sort of thing. I've come to enjoy a lot more wines, but I started with the stereotypical girly wines. Still not a huge fan of big, full-bodied reds, but now that I can't have beer any more (gluten allergy), I'm learning to dig on wines and more complex hard ciders.

Komitkid's Wife

My two favorites are Duplin Sweet Muscadine, which is a sweeter wine.
http://tinypic.com/r/21masnp/8

For red wine i like Riunite Lambrusco.
http://tinypic.com/r/349ayz9/8

Both can be found at a grocery store. I used to buy Riunite every week because i loved it so much.
Go to your local wine store! Tell them you are new! They'll be happy to help you. Chances are you won't be able to really find the small differences and the deep flavors unless you have some one to help you.Bonus if you go some place with a licensed sommelier. I've done a tasting where they will have perfect little snacks like craisans, coffee, even wood chips and leather, and it helps you really notice the subtle flavors. Chances are you aren't going to like everything, either. No problem! Reds like Cabernet Sauvignon and Zinfandel might have flavors you do not enjoy, where tasty whites like Gewürztraminer and Pinot grigios might be absolutely delicious to you. And, based on what you're eating, different wines might pair better with different foods. A good somm will be able to help you with anything like that.

Friendly Bookworm

Thanks for some help. I am always open to suggestions for wines. I do have a wine store just down the street and around the corner. Very good at ordering if needed.

My mom and sister are white wine drinkers. Mom likes Glenora wine the most, but drinks any good wine. My sister loves Moscato wine (especially Jacob's Creek).
I would start off with your basics, and widely-available wines:

Pinot Noir (I call it the Coca-Cola of wine)
Pinot Gregio (if you're into whites)
Moscato (I haven't met one person who doesn't like a Moscoto wine)

Also, going to a local wine-tasting is also really good for your pallet. Especially if you have some good wineries locally. They not only introduce you to a diverse array of wine types and flavors, but also help you distinguish between different tastes and tones in wines, and help you find your overall favorite. smile

Also, a lot of fine-wine shops will also let you sample wine before you buy it.

Primarily, with anything, it's a trial-and-error.

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
I got into wine drinking, by literally just trying the wines that my parents bought. Though it mostly started two new years eves ago, drank two and a half bottles of zinfandel wine between two friends as well as throwing a fair bit of hard liquor into the mix. As well as this past summer at my cousins wedding, because wine was free with dinner.

Over all I've learned that I like white and rose wines. Usually of the sweeter variety. Reislings and moscatos are my two favorite. Jacobs Creek is a good moscato from Australia, that usually tends to be my go to. I've also discovered Barefoot moscato is good. They also have a moscato chardonnay wine that is pretty good, although very sweet. Barefoot I think is a Cali wine. I could be wrong though.

Also try going to a wine tasting. I think that could be a good, and fun place to start. Get a few girlfriends together and make a night out of it.

Alien Terrestrial

24,825 Points
  • Exciting Experiment 50
  • Mystical Adversary 25
  • Candy Massacre 50
Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot was my first favourite wine. I get it from my local NB Liquor licensed grocery store. Its not too sweet and not too bitter. cheese_whine

Wheezing Loiterer

10,075 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Signature Look 250
My sister is into wine,but she's not ike one of those Knows-all-about-the-in-and-outs-of-wine types, so when she wants to look for something new she asks the attendant about something they would suggest, although this would need to be a wine store, if you live in a well sized city then that shouldn't be too hard to find, especially with a google search.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff