Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Tycoon

7,350 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Has anybody done any cooking with them?

I have only ever used them in various salsa verde's and I'm wondering what else they are tasty in?

Liberal Sex Symbol

I haven't heard of them used in mexican cooking outside of salsas, like the salsa verde, chile verde with pork, and enchiladas suizas.

Maybe bread and fry slices like fried green tomatoes? The thing with tomatillos is that they're not consistent in flavor. Might be sweet, might be bitter as hell.

Tipsy Tycoon

7,350 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Inscriven
I haven't heard of them used in mexican cooking outside of salsas, like the salsa verde, chile verde with pork, and enchiladas suizas.

Maybe bread and fry slices like fried green tomatoes? The thing with tomatillos is that they're not consistent in flavor. Might be sweet, might be bitter as hell.

Yeah I have heard that they can be fried or boiled. I have never had them outside salsa so I don't even know what their natural flavor is.

Cheong_Unnie's Significant Otter

Familiar Trader

7,450 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
We grew these at work last year. My boss made a Tomatillo and Jalepeno relish and a Tomatillo and green bell pepper relish too...the Jalepeno one went down well...i have seen them in Quiches, replacing tomatoes, other than that, we didn't do much with them cause they were so odd haha

Invisible Healer

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Megathread 100
  • Cheerleader 200
The name scares me 'cause I can't for the life of me think of what the -illo part stands for (all that comes to mind is armadillo...), so I just stay away 'cause I wouldn't know what to do with it.
Please do yourself a favor and try making chile verde with pork or chicken. It is the best thing to warm up to with some spanish rice and tortillas. NOM.

Greedy Giver

yeah I've only made salsa verde with them
then taken that salsa + green apples and apple pie spices and flour and brown sugar and a bit more molasses and put it in a cheddar cheese pie crust with an almond-oatmeal crumb topping.
its awesomeness.

and I also know that tomatillos are interestingly a member of the current family, nothing like a tomato but closely related to gooseberries biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff