Welcome to Gaia! ::

• So lately I have fallen in love with coconut oil, because it's healthier then other oils and so
            much better to cook with, meaning it doesn't burn the pan was fast and stuff. I also tried it in my coffee for the benefits, but I'm not crazy about oil in my coffee.
            I was wondering have you tried it?
            What do you make with it?
            have you tried he sugar or flour and anything else their might be?

Girl-Crazy Exhibitionist

9,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
I like it baked goods. I think it ends up tasting sort of buttery. Some times I use it for roasting too. I think it also works well with PB or (PB2) and chili pepper powder.

Outside of cooking, I sometimes slick my hair back with it. emotion_awesome

I have not tried coconut sugar or flour, but I'm sure the sugar is good.

Sparkly Seeker

6,825 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Waffles! 25
I was introduced to Coconut Oil during my sister's Paleo days.I haven't really used Coconut Oil in ages, due to my sister kind of dropping her paleo diet but I really loved cooking with it. I think I liked it most when it came to baked goods, it made a great substitution and tasted amazing.

As for coconut oil and coffee, my sister tried it and she was not a fan. I tried a bit of the coconut oil & coffee combo and I wasn't much of a fan, I guess you have to get used to the taste.

I have used Coconut Flour but not Coconut Sugar, coconut sugar does sound pretty interesting. I think I used coconut flour for a special Paleo birthday cake my sister wanted, although the cake tasted absolutely awful. At least my sister and dad loved it, so I guess I can called that a somewhat success.

Aged Wench

12,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Megathread 100
I like to use coconut oil for baking muffins and once in awhile I will put it in my nut and seed butters to make them a little smoother. However, coconut oil isn't meant to be used for high heat applications like frying/sauteing. Never use it for an application that goes above 350 degrees. Once the oil starts to smoke it's no longer fit for consumption. You can learn more about the smoke point online if you are interested in keeping yucky toxic fumes out of your face and cancer-causing s**t out of your body.
I use coconut water in my smoothies or sometimes just to drink. I haven't done alot of research on it but it has very few calories. Different brand taste different, though. Some I do not like how they taste.
Every once in awhile I actually get a coconut and pry the meat out. I love fresh coconut meat for a high fat and protein packed snack that really curbs cravings. It doesn't keep very long, though. Even in the fridge it seems like it's going bad in a couple days so I don't really do that often. I can't really eat all the meat by myself. My partner likes the meat ok but I don't know if we could eat the whole coconut in two days. That's alot of snacks!
I used to use coconut sugar for my water kefir when I was brewing it but I haven't brewed kefir in awhile.

Friendly Bookworm

Working in a health food store, cooking/baking with coconut is very popular. I have read a recipe for chili in which you would saute your veggies in coconut oil.

I have been meaning to try it.

Greedy Pirate

11,600 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Mark Twain 100
Benefits? LMAO. Coconut oil is high in saturated fat which raise levels of cholesterols, including the bad type, LDL, which can cause heart disease. It should be used in moderation and calorie-wise saturated fats should make up no more than 5-6% of your daily intake. Why you would dump pure oil in coffee is beyond me.

As for high temperature cooking, coconut oil has the same smoke point as butter, unrefined sesame oil, semi-refined canola and semi-refined soy oil. There are numerous other fats with even higher smoke points, including lard, Crisco,all types of olive oil, and dozens of others.
She Was Phone
Benefits? LMAO. Coconut oil is high in saturated fat which raise levels of cholesterols, including the bad type, LDL, which can cause heart disease. It should be used in moderation and calorie-wise saturated fats should make up no more than 5-6% of your daily intake. Why you would dump pure oil in coffee is beyond me.

As for high temperature cooking, coconut oil has the same smoke point as butter, unrefined sesame oil, semi-refined canola and semi-refined soy oil. There are numerous other fats with even higher smoke points, including lard, Crisco,all types of olive oil, and dozens of others.

EXACTLY!
Any fat that is a solid at room temperature is going to be bad for you.

Liberal Sex Symbol

I probably eat it when dealing with southern asian food but I don't like cooking with it. The amount of saturated fat is massive enough to make me uncomfortable.

My wife loves using it for making things like deoderants, lip scrubs, and other personal care items.
I haven't tried it yet, but I did buy a jar earlier.
Apparently, I can use it as a substitute for butter when using something like applesauce would mess up the texture.

Aside from that, I mostly wanted it for external things...like moisturizing my skin & stuff.
edit:
THIS DOES NOT TASTE GOOD
godairyfree said i could use it in place of butter on toast
these are lies
I am also disturbed at how much saturated fat is in 1 tbsp o___O
this is going to only be used in scrubs & stuff. olive oil is too liquid at room temp to work as a proper scrub for me.

Skyburn's Wife

The problem with coconut flour is that it doesn't have any yeast or anything like that. So it's hard to substitute it in for regular flour.

Coconut sugar is pretty good. I've only used it in coffee as of right now, the coconut milk drink and the coconut sugar works good as a healthier creamer.

It's a different chain of saturated fat, which most people aren't aware of. Half of the saturated fat is lauric acid, a medium-chain triglyceride that turns out to have a number of health-promoting properties, including the ability to improve levels of "good" HDL cholesterol. There's still a lot that is unknown, so like I said I wouldn't go overboard, but it is better the butter.
          It's also a taste preference. I like the taste better the butter.

Trash Witch

My family tried it for cooking/baking for a while, but nothing really beats plain old butter or olive oil.

Now I just use it for skin stuff and making lip scrubs etc with.
then you will love cooking with coconut milk. if you braise beef with it along with some herbs and spices (like beef rendang) im sure you will fall in love with it even more.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff