Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hygienic Hunter

TheNinja0917
girls are getting too much criticism and harassment for playing video games. Especially if they play poorly. I believe that people should just shut up and let us play without being worried about harassment. I am also worried about it, even if i go online in COD because so many ppl are doing this.

COD's fanbase tends to be made up of 60% racist 10 year olds who would have called you names if you were a guy anyway. 5% is rational people, and the remaining 35% is people who will make fun of you, but apologize the second they realize you're a girl and try to add you.
This is why I stopped playing it. Most of the fanbase seems god-awful.

In any case, no Arcade Sticks do not make you better. I'm one of the better players in Soul Calibur 5, and I use the controller with analog sticks and buttons. I think Arcade sticks are a waste of money. In any case, I've played a LOT of girls in SCV that quite frankly have the capacity to beat me soundly or at least give me a good match. So don't feel too worried about entering future tournaments and stuff.

Dapper Gekko

I'd say go for it, though I do know that some gamers can be pretty chauvinistic jackasses.

I'd say keep your boyfriend on standby to knock their heads in if they try talking s**t, or otherwise just stick up for yourself, have fun, and be cool. If they say anything like that, try not to let it get to you, they're beneath you if that's what they think.

I brought a female friend to a Brawl tournament once, and though we both did really badly, the people there were cool to us; the person who fought my friend even tried to be nice and take it easy on her, as I recall (although some people might find that insulting too... considering how outclassed we were, I took it as them being accomodating. =3=).

Bottom line, I think you never know until you give it a shot. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, I always say.

Dedicated Fatcat

8,400 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Nah, don't worry about it too much. Though if someone does give you trouble, let them know how rude they are. I don't really get why people think Video Games as Sports are exempt from good sportsmanship. Hell, imagine if football players or baseball players used the awful language gamers are known for using in competitive environments.

I can see it now, a guy getting tackled after he drops the ball only to be teabagged by the opposing team cat_burning_eyes

Dapper Dabbler

5,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
I think girls that play video games are awesome. Doesn't matter if you suck or not. I find it even more fun playing with females than males because females don't have high levels of testosterone. Also it's fun to hear them scream when they are getting ganked in a game of LoL.

Friendly Member

4,350 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
Abigail_Blaire
Thank you all very much for sharing your experiences and words of wisdom! I will certainly keep them in mind for my future tournaments (especially if I should ever encounter any... unsavory people). biggrin

As for the tournament I'd entered on Saturday, everything went better than expected. Everyone there was really nice, and I even met someone who invited my boyfriend and I to play at the mini-tournaments they hold at the local game shop every Sunday.

I think I played pretty well, and I had a lot of fun; so I'm REALLY glad that I decided to play and not just watch. I'm actually looking forward to future tournaments now, though I suppose I'll have to think about investing in a fight stick if I plan to ever get really good.

But between what you guys have told me and my experience this weekend, I have decided that I will enter in future tournaments despite the chance that there will be unpleasant people there with unpleasant things to say. It's just too much fun to let a few bad apples ruin the experience. 3nodding

I've been meaning to reply to this thread for a while but I always forgot to hit submit. Anyway, that's great that your experience was a good one!

I act as a TO for a few tournaments, mainly charity and small weekly tournaments, and I always encourage everyone to come out to display their skill and have a good time. Although the fighting game community is pretty tight knit, we're always welcoming anyone that wants to be in that knot as well :3 I mean, after all, as long as you play fighting games, you're basically one of us!

I know that there are pretty unsavory people at tournaments, and that just how it is sometimes. Wherever there's a crowd, there's always some complete jackass trying to ruin everyone's day. You're there to have fun, pick up new skills, and meet new people! Don't let others ruin the fun for you! No matter what age, gender, race, etc., whatever!

And of course, any time you feel like someone is just acting out of line, always tell your TO. Chances are they'll get it taken cared of.

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150
I can understand not wanting to if you're not particularly skilled at gaming. You'd have to be -really- good to not get crap for being a female gamer, simply because if you lose even one time it leads to unnecessary harassment, even if that harassment is 'Don't worry, it's because you're a girl."

The best gamer I've ever met is actually a girl, though, and she completely shuts down anybody she plays (especially in fighting games) who gives her crap for being female.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff